Profile for Mr. A Smith > Reviews

Content by Mr. A Smith

Mr. A Smith "Alex Smith" (Birmingham, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
TomTom GO 400 EU - 4.3" Sat Nav with Full European Lifetime Maps, Lifetime Traffic Updates, Smartphone Connected and Interactive Screen
Offered by Saverstore
Price: 115.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally good, 25 Mar 2014
Generally a good satnav and comes with all the support and camera network information available to TomTom as a powerhouse brand in the world of GPS devices. The one shortcoming I would mention is that the new software, whilst quite slick and neat, is still evolving a little at the moment (March 2014) and there are some features like 'road ahead closed' missing from this version of the software which can lead to some annoying moments whilst the device is constantly trying to turn you around to go back at the closed street.
The lifetime maps and TomTom live (assuming this offer is still on the product when you read this - it should be clearly stated if it is) has been a massive boost however. The 'lifetime' is for the 'lifetime of the device' however this is going to be several years away, so assuming you were interested in keeping your maps up-to-date it is quite a cost saver.

PLEASE NOTE: the traffic cameras are NOT included in the lifetime TomTom live (which I thought they were at first). It's not an expensive add on and you do get some free use of it for a while after buying the device. Personally the other lifetime benefits mean I'm not too worried about this one - but I wanted to make sure you were aware of it before buying in case this mattered to you.

Braggart
Braggart
Offered by Games Lore Ltd
Price: 12.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick enjoyable game, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Braggart (Toy)
Short game to play (roughly 30 minutes or just over to play a game), and provides some comical stories. I tend to prefer to slightly act-read the story out that I'm 'boasting' about, made all the more enjoyable when someone calls liar and you have to read it again more sheepishly.

Essentially the game revolves around you trying to make 'boasts' at the inn and being the best boaster for that round. You can have up to 8 cards in your hand and each card you play is worth a number of 'boast points' which others have to beat. You can augment these basic boasts (a foe and a deed) with additional scene and result cards for a more powerful boast, but the curveballs are thrown in with the 'Liar' cards in the deck, allowing another player to swap out a card (or 2 in the case of 'Outrageous liar') to change your story and make your boast weaker - adding your previously used cards to their deck and allowing them to use your cards against you.

Good fun for a wide range of ages

Makala Soprano Student Ukulele - Red
Makala Soprano Student Ukulele - Red
Price: 36.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Ukulele, 25 Mar 2014
Wooo - a nice red ukulele. I'm not really sure what else to say about it - it feels solid and well made, it doesn't regularly detune itself - job done

One For All URC 7140 Essence 4 Universal remote
One For All URC 7140 Essence 4 Universal remote
Price: 15.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 25 Mar 2014
Does the job - but the instruction manual that comes with the product is very poor and there is little supporting information on the website (for instance, I programmed the satellite section on the device accidentally, but I can't seem to find any instructions for clearing this option, so I now have to skip past satellite everytime I select device).

One positive thing I would say for it though is that it can control an apple TV device via the AUX mode

Mogworld
Mogworld
by Yahtzee Croshaw
Price: 4.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and engaging throughout, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Mogworld (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book - Provided you are expecting a comedy book and not some literary culture then you're in for a treat. It's comical and enjoyable without sacrificing the pace of the book. I found myself really engaged in the protagonist and also getting annoyed at him many times during the story, but I'm glad that it pulled me in enough to have those kind of feelings about the character and not the author.

Really enjoyable and would recommend to anyone

Brink (PS3)
Brink (PS3)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE
Price: 4.75

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite fun, but extremely short, 5 Sep 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Brink (PS3) (Video Game)
This game is pretty enjoyable however there is very little story behind each of the plots, and every mission is effectively the same just in a different map. The game is very much like an Unreal Tournament game, combined with a Rock Band style unlocking of outfits as you level up (you also earn some points to spend on extra abilities as you level up, but few have a significant effect on the game experience for you).
I would give this game a higher rating, as it wasn't bad, but for the cost it is exceptionally short. I picked it up for an evening in, and ended up completing the security campaign within 2 hours. The resistance campaign then only took about 1.5 hours as I knew how to play the game better having been through the security campaign (plus the perks I had unlocked for my character).

This game makes it very noticable that it plans for you to play outside of the campaign a lot too, as having completed both campaigns I have still not unlocked the highest level for my character (although I also have no interest to now as I've completed the story and although I'm a big BF and CoD online gamer I dont think Brink would be a game I'd really get into online).

In summary, not a bad game, but not great either. Don't hold too higher hopes for it. Also far too short for the kind of price of this game. Especially the RRP. There is a reason they have had to try so hard with the advertising for this game.

Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition (PS3)
Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 17.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Great split screen coop, 3 Mar 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I thought I'd leave a review to help other people out there in my position. I dislike how often games say they are 'co-op' and then it turns out that that is only via the network playing co-op with another PS3 owner. So to clear the air on this one, this game is a split screen co-op. My fiancee and I love playing this together in the evenings. The screen split is in a bit of a weird direction (vertical split, rather than horizontal - so you can see a lot of the sky, but not your left and right. And the game design of the menus is a bit annoying. All computer terminals, and your inventory are too wide for split screen and arent resized, so you have to scroll left and right to view your inventory properly - very annoying when comparing weapons) but aside from the unusual split choice this is a great game.

I'm quite a graphics junky on games, and this game isnt 'realistic' in its graphics (they dont look like real hill and people etc), but because its noticable it isnt trying to be that way it still fills my graphics wants. Gameplay is very enjoyable. You'll want to pay attention to the mission levels (not just the difficulty) as enemies only a few levels higher than you are very painful to kill. Although saying that please also note that some missions are badly labelled. For instance close to the start of the game you'll be asked to repair a garage (normal difficulty rating) and talk to a guy in a building you've already been to 3 times (hard rating). When you go to the garage that gives you another mission to get the parts that is HARD for when it gives it to you in the game, where as the 'hard' mission to talk to the guy (only a short walk, no real fights to get there) then gives you 3 normal difficulty missions. So take their difficulty rating with a pinch of salt.

In short. If you are looking for a fun, split-screen cooperative game to play with a friend or your significant other - this is a wonderful game to fill that need.
I hope you all enjoy playing it as much as I currently am
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 24, 2011 12:38 AM GMT

Borderlands (PS3)
Borderlands (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful for split screen co-op, 3 Mar 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Borderlands (PS3) (Video Game)

I hope you all enjoy playing it as much as I currently am

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little item, 9 Feb 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Very helpful adapter which lets you plug in a midi keyboard, guitar or drums (selectable via a switch on the box) into Rock Band 3 and play it like a regular RB instrument. (Did not buy from here however as at the time of writing it was cheaper to buy direct from Madcatz). If you already own your own Keyboard with a MIDI out (please ensure you have MIDI out before you buy) then this is a great way to use it in RB3 without having to buy the keytar instrument.

Please note this item does not come with a midi cable out (I foolishly assumed there would be a fixed/built-in cable (like the USB) to connect to the midi port on the keyboard (or a cable included) - there isn't. So you will need to order a midi cable in addition to this adapter to use your midi instrument with it.

Family Guy - It's A Trap (Limited Edition with T-Shirt, Collector's Cards and Script) [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Seth MacFarlane
Price: 15.02

3.0 out of 5 stars Great dvd/bluray but shame about the boxing, 12 Jan 2011
Let me be clear first of all. I love family guy - massively. Although I have to admit they are kind of scraping the barrel a little in this last instalment from the Star Wars saga. If you also thought Blue Harvest was great but Empire was a bit less funny, you'll find this follows the same vein - but it's still a good family guy DVD for those FG fans out there.
I don't really want to put any of you off buying this DVD/Bluray - my main reason I decided to write a review was to warn you of the boxing of this collectors edition item. The t-shirt comes INSIDE the DVD box, which means when you take the t-shirt out there is a big section of the box that doesn't hold its shape very well (its only a soft cardboard frame around the t-shirt. It also makes the box very big compared to other DVDs (around the width of 3 DVD/Bluray boxes).
If I could go back I would have just ordered the regular DVD so it looks better on the shelf etc. Sat beside the other Family Guy Star Wars disk this collectors one looks a little silly.

Page: 1 | 2