Profile for JA Hopkins > Reviews

Content by JA Hopkins

JA Hopkins "Pony mad mother" (Suffolk,UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Early Learning Centre - Discover Cylinder
Early Learning Centre - Discover Cylinder

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby loves it., 5 May 2014
The distinctive black and white check was visually appealing to my 6 month old and when propped up he can hold on to the handles and manipulate the cylinder. He loves to poke and feel the mirror and the tabs. I think it will keep him interested for a while as he is not yet up to 'posting' the shapes, which are soft enough to be grabbed by little hands but return to their original shape. Good value buy.

Towards a Standards-Based Curriculum 2014: A Toolkit for the New Primary Curriculum in England (Amazon Edition)
by Mr Jazz C Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars A good starting place, 23 Mar. 2014
I have found that so many publishers are jumping on the band wagon and producing schemes of work that are 'Ready for the new National Curriculum', but seem to have missed the change of emphasis to Standards. They seem happy to churn out the same stuff married to objectives with no real difference from their last offering. Whilst this book doesn't give you all the answers, it offers a starting place for reviewing 'what and how'. The long/medium term plans were helpful. The only reason it doesn't get 5 stars from me is because I teach children in years 3,4,5 and 6 in one class and no-one has been able to give me any guidance on how to put it all together for them.

Word Of Mouth
Word Of Mouth

5.0 out of 5 stars So good we booked ticket to the tour, 23 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Word Of Mouth (Audio CD)
After being slightly disappointed with his last album 'Tales from the Barrel House' This for me is Seth at his best again. If you are a fan of the up beat ballads like 'Cherry Red' or the more haunting melodies, this album has both. As always high quality lyrics and outstanding musicianship are a given. After hearing it for the first time I booked tickets to see him in Northampton via the ticket master website (Fifth row!) Even my 17 year old daughter is coming- what more can I say...fantastic

The Greatest Knight: The Story of William Marshal
The Greatest Knight: The Story of William Marshal

5.0 out of 5 stars The story of William Marshal, 26 Oct. 2013
I read a lot of historical books and really liked the way Elizabeth Chadwick stuck to the historical facts. She weaves an engaging story about the public and personal life of William Marshal. Her writing gives you a very personal view of this period of history that has a realistic feel. At the end of the book she explains where she has embellished the story and where the ideas for these came from. For example where two characters from different generations of the same family were called John, she refers to the younger as Jack to avoid confusion. As this was common practise in lots of families at the time, it rings true.
I enjoyed this story so much that I ordered the next one in the series before I finished this one, so I would not have to wait!

The Picture History of Great Explorers
The Picture History of Great Explorers
by Gillian Clements

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction, 26 April 2013
I like the way this book gives a page to each explorer, beginning with ancient explorers and ending with space exploration. It ws great to see a couple of victorian women in this book as they are often neglected. The illustrastions are fun and informative. Would recomend it for Key stage 2 children as the language isnt simple.

Explorer [With CDROM and Poster] (DK Eyewitness Books)
Explorer [With CDROM and Poster] (DK Eyewitness Books)
by Rupert Matthews

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for Key Stage 2 at school, 26 April 2013
My class love this book! It is hardly ever on the display table about explorers because someone is looking at it/reading it. They are always coming to me and saying "Did you know......" The pictures on the CD-Rom are ok but nothing more. Grab this while its still available as it is no longer in print!

How to Be an Outstanding Primary School Teacher (Outstanding Teaching)
How to Be an Outstanding Primary School Teacher (Outstanding Teaching)
by David Dunn

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid advice, 26 April 2013
This book brought together many of the ideas that I had used in the past, that had got lost, in the rash of new initiatives from the government! It made me think about what I do, how I do it and why I do it. It has certainly got me back on my game. Very readable, great for dipping in to a section or two before planning for my class.

How to be an Explorer
How to be an Explorer
by Dugald Steer

5.0 out of 5 stars Think of the 'Jolly Post man', 6 April 2013
This review is from: How to be an Explorer (Hardcover)
Lots of letters, booklets, lift the flaps- great fun with lots of great illustrations. Just fab, the kids love it

Canon PowerShot SX220 HS Digital Camera - Grey (12.1MP, 14x Optical Zoom)  3.0 inch LCD
Canon PowerShot SX220 HS Digital Camera - Grey (12.1MP, 14x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, 15 Mar. 2013
Excellent photos and video. The zoom is excellent-I managed to record my daughter on the other end of a 25m pool with no difficulty.

Ice Trap!: Shackleton's Incredible Expedition
Ice Trap!: Shackleton's Incredible Expedition
by Meredith Hooper

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Informative, 15 Mar. 2013
My class of KS2 children have poured over this all term. They love the lineline in the back and matching the places to the maps etc. It is well written and informative. We bought it with Avoid Joining Shackleton's Polar Edpedition- a great set

Page: 1 | 2