Profile for Gareth Lloyd > Reviews

Content by Gareth Lloyd

Gareth Lloyd "basegenerator" (manchester)

Logitech X-530 PC Multimedia Home Theatre Speaker System
Logitech X-530 PC Multimedia Home Theatre Speaker System

5.0 out of 5 stars The best low cost PC speakers around., 1 Sept. 2005
After the quick easy installation I find the speakers to be more than adequate, in fact I would put money on it that these are the one of the best low cost speakers around. The sound is clear and crisp even when I am streaming of an internet radio station at 96kbps (I tell a lie, there is a little fussiness but that's due to the bit rate of the stream, not the speakers).
I have replaced my standard Sony desktop speakers that came with my Vaio PC and have to say that the Logitech is a much better sound, especially at high volume. The sub-woofer is excellent too, great bass at both high and low volumes, I was very pleased with the bass from the sub-woofer.
I cannot comment on the surround itself because my card only supports 2.1 as to 5.1 which is needed to utilise all 5 speakers. I am looking to buy a new sound card very soon, so I can edit this review in the near future.
Other benefits from the Logitech speakers is that they are compatible with game consoles, which include Playstation 1 and 2, Xbox and Gamecube (Logitech video adapter is required for this to work; it costs no more than £4). I imagine it will be possible for the Logitech speakers to work with next-gen console too.
I have one dislike about these speakers. The headphones don't sound that great when plugging them into the headphone jack. I have very good Sony headphones and sounded great through my old Sony speakers, but through the Logitech speakers the sound is muffled and distorted through heavy bass. The volume control doesn't work for the headphones meaning your stuck with the mid range volume (not loud enough for me). It probably sound awful at a louder volume anyway.
Pros: crisp clear sound. Loud at 140 watts. Sub-woofer at 70 watts gives of very good bass at both high and low volumes. Good looking speakers. Speakers can stand or be fitted onto the walls. Compatible with consoles. quality build. Cheap for a good 5.1 system.
Cons: Headphones don't sound great through them. No volume control for headphones. Wires are too short for bigger rooms.
Despite the headphones sounding rubbish the system still deserves a 5 star rating. If you like your games, movies or music to sound great through 5.1 but don't want to spend the money that is over the £100 mark, then these are for you. They sound just as good as a £100+ system anyway.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2011 3:14 PM GMT