Profile for Laurastorer > Reviews

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I've just stopped blubbering!, 25 Mar 2014
Five Stars, a beautiful book! I had to put it down once or twice because I couldn't see the page through my tears. I would highly recommend!

Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy
Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy
Price: 1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Bridget Jones Bad Dream, 25 Mar 2014
This book was so much more than a disappointment, it actually made me physically cringe at certain points. Fielding's pathetic attempts to reflect the modern world were totally out of touch with reality. I don't know a single person who might identify with Bridget or her friends, who only seem to pop up to quote some crappy mantra, from a self help book that most of the world has forgotten about. Bridget has been blessed with children but they are far too young considering that she and Mr Darcy ran off into the sunset almost two decades ago. What's most annoying, the children seem to be at the bottom of Bridget's upper middle class priority list, making her a pretty unlikable character. This book's most unforgivable fault, is that it killed off Mr Darcy before the first page in order to clear the way for Bridget to enter the modern dating world. The reader would have forgiven Fielding for splitting up the happy couple, in a trial separation or divorce, maybe throw in a teenage child or two and some dating disasters which the reader may relate to, before they ultimately realise their love for each other again. In fact, I would still urge Fielding to write that book, the first chapter could start with Bridget waking up from a bad dream.....This awful book. Honestly, Fielding its not to late to scrap it and start again!!

One star and that's being generous

Twelve Years a Slave
Twelve Years a Slave
Price: 0.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 15 Mar 2014
I, like many others was enticed into reading this book following the media hype surrounding the film. I hate to watch a film before I have read the book (and then usually hate the film because it isn't as good). This book is so beautifully written, that it just draws the reader in from the first page and carries them on the terrifying and hopeless journey suffered by the author. The whole way through the book you are given clues to the ending, the reader knows that "Platt" will eventually be liberated and returned to freedom, we even know who his liberators Will be. The reassurance that everything will turn out ok in the end, is lost upon meeting and getting to know the other characters in the book. While the author was thankfully returned to freedom, they were forced to endure and die in the conditions he so eloquently describes.