Profile for Lynette > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Thoughtless
Thoughtless

3.0 out of 5 stars Spoiled by an unlikeable heroine, 30 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Thoughtless (Kindle Edition)
I just had to read this as it kept being mentioned in reviews of so many other books I'd read. I could only give it 3 stars for one reason, I really hated Keira, for 75% of the book she is a self gratifying, humourless, spoilt brat. I found myself getting more and more irritated with her and the story. Then it changed and as often happens in books the story changed direction and the last hour won me round. It's quite an exhausting read, lots of angst, tension and passion.
I will look forward to Effortless but I'm having a break first.

Two Brothers
Two Brothers
by Ben Elton

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic story. Just brilliant., 24 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Two Brothers (Hardcover)
I'm so glad I listened to the recommendation and read this book, it's not like the books I tend to read. For a start its the first thing I've read from Ben Elton, and I normally avoid books not set in the current day but this book has taken me on a journey that will stay with me for a very long time.

I loved Eltons writing style, I really felt the mood of the book and loved each character, the strength, their flaws and the emotion of them all. You can't fail to be moved by the harrowing treatment of the Jewish family in this story, made all the more emotive as it could so easily not be a work of fiction.

I laughed, I cried and I thoroughly lost myself in this story. Just brilliant. I won't hesitate to read some of his other novels. But now they have a lot to live up to.

Beneath This Man (This Man Trilogy Book 2)
Beneath This Man (This Man Trilogy Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed here too, 19 Jan. 2013
Ok I've just finished this. I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I was desperate for this to come out, the last few chapters of book 1 really won me over. I'll try and avoid spoilers but this might be difficult.

The biggest problem I have with this book is that nothing really happened in the first 60% that didn't happen in the first. Ava going to work, Jesse being possessive and lots of sex. I wanted to see their relationship develop, find out more about them both, at least expand on what makes him so besotted with her, and I was desperate to know more about The Manor.

It got a lot better around the 65% mark, then my adrenaline kicked and I thought, that's me up for the night to finish it. But then it slows down again. Yes we got some answers but overall I feel a bit let down. There was too much repetition in the writing and the story, not enough actually going on.

The other thing missing is the other characters. I liked Kate, the work colleagues etc but they hardly get a mention.

I will probably be reading the third book when it comes out but I hope it takes the story forward a bit. I still think Jesse is no Christian and the second book definitely continues in the same fifty shades theme. The similarities are endless. Is this a good thing? Well it's been a while since I read 50, maybe that's why I'm being forgiving. I just thought the idea of the Manor was where the similarity would end but there in lies my disappointment.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2013 5:16 PM GMT

Hopeless
Hopeless

4.0 out of 5 stars Won me over., 17 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Hopeless (Kindle Edition)
Ah well what a nice little story, I read this in a day which is something I don't often do, mainly because there's no opportunity to.
After the first few chapters I thought, how have I bought another romance story about teenagers in high school, good girl falls for bad boy type of a book. You know the Beautiful Disaster, Pushing the Limits type of a story. I seem to be a magnet for these novels and am trying to read them less.

However, it moved right way from the story after about half the story and by then you forget you're reading about 2 teenagers and it totally redeemed itself. There's a great few twists in the 2nd half of the book, some surprises and others you can see coming. But it wrapped up nicely and it's a solid 4 star story.

Undeniable
Undeniable

1.0 out of 5 stars Too annoying to finish., 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Undeniable (Kindle Edition)
Had to bail outed this 35% of the way in. Basically didn't find anything to like about it. Bikers and their way of life are of no interest to me, didn't like any of the characters as far as I got and hated the writing style and massive over use of the F word. It was bought on the strength of good reviews so far and Amazon recommending it.
Not for me. Too many other good books to be cracking on with.

Seduced in the Dark (The Dark Duet Book 2)
Seduced in the Dark (The Dark Duet Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just outstanding, 21 Dec. 2012
Totally adored this duet. Easily one of the best stories I've read. It's dark, it's sexy and its unpredictable. What more do you want. Superb.

Brabantia Laundry Bin, 30 L - Brilliant Steel
Brabantia Laundry Bin, 30 L - Brilliant Steel

3.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced but is nice, 21 Dec. 2012
This is a little overpriced for what it is but have to say its well made and looks just the part. Only wish I'd had the 50L as this fills quite quickly for us.

Case-Mate Barely There Case for Apple iPhone 4/4S - Platinum
Case-Mate Barely There Case for Apple iPhone 4/4S - Platinum
Offered by Modern-Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 21 Dec. 2012
Case mate covers are usually reliable - this doesn't disappoint. Lovely brushed chrome, very thin. Great protection. Everything I wanted it to be.

Thursdays in the Park
Thursdays in the Park

4.0 out of 5 stars Go on, it's a lovely story...., 21 Dec. 2012
Well what a nice little surprise this book was and well worth to 20p I paid for it. Maybe I expected too little and that's why I enjoyed it so much, or maybe it's just that its a simple story about relationships that's told well.

Jeanie is a 60 year old lady who is resisting everyone's attempts to put her on the "done and dusted" shelf. She wakes up to her dwindling marriage when she meets a man in the park and the story is centred around her journey from there.
I meet a lot of "Jeanie's" through my job and found her story touching and realistic. The book moves at just the right pace and ends well and I really felt the emotions if everyone along the way.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

John Adams Doggie Doo Game
John Adams Doggie Doo Game

1.0 out of 5 stars Just don't bother, 6 Dec. 2012
This review is from: John Adams Doggie Doo Game (Toy)
What a stupid "game" this is. The goo is always clogging it up, the stopper that goes in its mouth is very stiff and my children can't do it. Handle keeps coming apart.
It's a stupid pointless waste of time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7