Profile for thegreypanther > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Yorkshire Shepherdess
The Yorkshire Shepherdess
by Amanda Owen

3.0 out of 5 stars A Readable Account of Life on a Remote Hill Farm in Yorkshire, 8 Aug 2014
Having walked many times in the Tan Hill / Swaledale area, and walked past Ravenseat, I was highly interested in what Amanda Owen had to say about life in that part of the world.
Although the book is basically quite readable, it tends to be a long series of anecdotes rather than anything more substantial. Some of these anecdotes are very interesting, particularly if you know the area and have an interest in the farms and animals found there.
But as I worked my way through the book, I found myself wanting to speed read so that I could get to the end and close that final chapter.
Full marks to Amanda Owen for her obvious energy and enthusiasm, but I would be surprised to see a sequel to this book.

Forgotten Voices of the Somme: The Most Devastating Battle of the Great War in the Words of Those Who Survived
by Joshua Levine

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Most Readable Books RElating to the History of the First World War, 8 Aug 2014
I was first lent this book by a friend of mine, but I found the book provided such a vivid picture of the life of a soldier at that time that I purchased my own copy of the book. "Forgotten Voices of the Somme" now has pride of place my small library of books relating to the First World War, and I would unhesitatingly recommend it to anybody wanting to expand on their knowledge of this period in history.
The book is immensely readable, and makes one wonder how men managed to cope with the conditions of the battlefield and yet remain reasonably normal. Some of the pictures painted by the words of those who took part in the battles are quite searing in their intensity.

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
Offered by JVA Trading Audio Products

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent All-Purpose Lens, 24 May 2014
I do a lot of walking, and find that this particular lens suits my purposes completely. The focal length range is exactly what I need, and the images produced are beautifully sharp with accurate colours. The lens is compact enough to be relatively easy to remain fixed to the camera, - no need to keep on changing lenses, on my travels.
I have previously owned one of these lenses, and had no hesitation in ordering a replacement when the original lens got damaged in an accident.

Beethoven: Complete Piano Concertos
Beethoven: Complete Piano Concertos

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Value for Money, 14 Oct 2013
Although I could not give you a review on the technical aspects of this collection, all I know is that I have really enjoyed listening to the music. Some of my favourite Beethoven pieces, - all beautifully played. And, of course, there is the added bonus of the Choral Fantasia, - one of Beethoven's lesser known works (possibly) but one that gives me quite an uplift.
All in all, - an extraordinary buy in terms of value for money.

Google Nexus 10 Tablet Case - G-HUB PropUp BLACK Stand Case Cover (with integrated stand function and magnetic sleep sensors) for Google / Samsung Nexus 10 with BONUS: G-HUB ProPen Stylus
Offered by OGADGETHUB

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly right for my Nexus 10 tablet, 21 Mar 2013
I wish that I had ordered this in the first place, instead of the dreadful Poetic slimline case for the Nexus 10.
The Nexus 10 fits in absolutely fine, and the pop-up stand works well.
it was a nice touch for OGAGETHUB to include a stylus/pen, and a screen protector, together with the case.

Poetic SLIMLINE Portfolio Case for Google Nexus 10 Black (With Auto Sleep/Wake Function)(3 Year Warranty by Poetic)
Offered by Smart Shop Online

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality case, 18 Mar 2013
The Nexus 10 tablet doesn't even fit into this case.
With an almighty squeeze you can just about get it into the case, - but then you can't shut the lid.
I bitterly regret having purchased the case.

Marjorie's War: Four Families in the Great War 1914 - 1918
Marjorie's War: Four Families in the Great War 1914 - 1918
by Charles Messenger

5.0 out of 5 stars "Marjorie's War", - A Book Both for Historians and Anybody With a Love of Personal Stories, 24 Feb 2013
I found this book fascinating and rewarding on two scores;-
Firstly, I have an interest in the history of the First World War, and in particular the history of the Yorkshire Regiment (the Green Howards) in that war.
Secondly, the large volume of personal correspondence included in this book gives a remarkable insight into the life and times of both civilians and soldiers a century ago.
The book has been meticulously researched, with copious footnotes to help explain the events of the time.
I can thoroughly recommend this book.

We Will Not Fight...: The Untold Story of World War Ones Conscientious Objectors
by Will Ellsworth-Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars "We Will Not Fight..." - Another Insight into the First World War, 4 Aug 2012
There is a vast amount of written material for those interested in the history of the First World War, but this particular book is a valuable addition to the reading material for anybody interested in the First World War.
The subject matter may be uncomfortable for many, and may arouse feelings ranging from anger to contempt. But, on the other hand, having read the book it is clear that many of the men who were conscientious objectors in the war were brave in their own way. It would have taken great courage to make the stand that many of these men took.
I bought the book after coming across the grave of a man who was in the Non Combatant Corps. I was curious to know more about this Corps, and Will Ellsworth-Jones' book provided me with the answers I needed.
"We Will Not Fight.." is a welcome addition to my collection of books on this period of history.

Raiders Overhead : A diary of the London blitz
Raiders Overhead : A diary of the London blitz
by Barbara M. Nixon

4.0 out of 5 stars "Raiders Overhead" by Barbara Nixon, 21 Feb 2012
I accidentally came across this book when reading "All Hell Let Loose" by Max Hastings. In Max Hastings' history of the Second World War he describes the London Blitz, and refers to Barbara Nixon's book. She, in turn, provides a vivid account of life during the Blitz. What, to date, has been conveyed by grainy newsreels now becomes an extraordinary account of the lives of ordinary people in the most terrifying and horrifying circumstances.
Well worth a read.

A Fresh Wind
A Fresh Wind

3.0 out of 5 stars "A Fresh Wind" by Cary Lewincamp, 21 Feb 2012
This review is from: A Fresh Wind (MP3 Download)
Another album of cool background music, - atmospheric and soothing. If you want to turn the lights low, slip into casual clothes, and relax with a drink then this music is right up your street.

Page: 1 | 2