Profile for Stephen Bate > Reviews

Content by Stephen Bate

Stephen Bate (Preston, England)

Head Down
Head Down
Price: 10.23

5.0 out of 5 stars A much more "mature" album, 28 Sep 2012
This review is from: Head Down (Audio CD)
As much as I've enjoyed Rival Sons previous albums this one really shines. It took a few listens before the songs started to reveal their depth (as well as their 60s and 70s influences) but it was worth the wait. Standouts for me are Jordan, The Heist, and Manifest Destiny parts 1 and 2. Quality songs that stand head and shoulders above the rubbish that passes for music these days. Unfortunately it's unlikely to be heard by the wide audience it deserves but if you're reading this you're likely interested so I'd say buy it and enjoy it. I'm pretty sure you won't regret it.

Cruzer Fit 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ33-016G-B35)
Cruzer Fit 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ33-016G-B35)
Price: 6.61

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, 21 May 2012
I'm probably just unlucky but mine appears to be faulty and no amount of reformatting fixes it. I only seem able to access the first couple of gigs. Anything written above and beyond that is reported as being corrupt when I try to access it. Not impressed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2012 3:54 AM BST

Bag Of Bones
Bag Of Bones
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot better than some would have you believe, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Bag Of Bones (Audio CD)
I don't quite get the negativity I'm seeing in some of the reviews here. No, its not Eden. They've already done that. This album stands on its own merits and if you're prepared to give it a chance you won't be dissapointed. Europe have matured as you'd expect after 30 plus years, and so have I as a fan and I like the direction they've taken. It's a solid, melodic, yet expertly crafted classic rock album with some great riffs. There will be many albums released this year that are not as good as this one, and not many that are better. Quality.

IOS Development Using Monotouch Cookbook
IOS Development Using Monotouch Cookbook
by Dimitris Tavlikos
Price: 30.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource for C# devs looking to do iPhone development, 20 Jan 2012
If you need to get up to speed with Monotouch, the framework to help you build iOS apps in C#, then this book will help you be productive in a very short space of time. I really like the recipe/cookbook format as it means I can dip in and out easily, just concentrating on what it is I'm trying to achieve at that point in time without having to wade through lots of extra text to find the good stuff.

It's easy to read and, quite importantly, uses XCode 4 which makes a big difference as there were some major changes over earlier versions which make other Monotouch books look a bit dated and sometimes harder to follow by comparison, though they all have something to offer. This book touches on a wide range of topics and even covers some of the newer iOS 5 features such as Twitter integration.

In short, if you like to develop in C#, and want to write iPhone apps then this book is a worthy investment. Highly recommended.

Panasonic SC-HTB15EB-K Home Cinema Speakers with Integrated Subwoofer
Panasonic SC-HTB15EB-K Home Cinema Speakers with Integrated Subwoofer

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 7 Dec 2011
I've been doing quite a bit of research on soundbars recently and I eventually settled on this Panasonic. I'm glad I did. No, it's not a substitute for a surround sound system. What it is though is a fantastic upgrade for the wholly inadequate speakers that come with modern flat screen televisions. Quality sound with a decent bass and as a bonus it responds to the volume controls on my Samsung TV remote control. Concerts sound excellent, and a quick try of Avatar made me feel like I was in the cinema. I can't ask for more than that.

If you don't want the hassle of wiring up 5.1 speakers then this is a good alternative. Definitely recommended.

Steeple
Steeple
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Stick with it and you will be rewarded, 21 Sep 2011
This review is from: Steeple (Audio CD)
So glad i took a chance on this as it really is a fantastic album. Repeat listens just seem to keep on giving but amazingly (to me) I almost gave up on it on the first couple of plays as being nothing special but i stuck with it and now it just gets better with each listen. Yes, it has a familliar 60s/70s sound but it's done so well. I can't quite put my finger on it but it feels "classy". I wish more people would look outside the mainstream and give some attention to bands like these. I could talk to friends about this album till I'm blue in the face but I know they'd stick with the radio friendly "rock" bands. There's so much good music around (Graveyard and Asteroid being two of my favourites) that goes unnoticed and it's a damn shame. Hope these guys get the success they deserve.

Pressure and Time
Pressure and Time
Price: 7.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound, just give me more of it, 26 Jun 2011
This review is from: Pressure and Time (Audio CD)
I got this on the day of release but thought I'd wait a week to get thoroughly into it before reviewing it. Judged on it's own, this album is excellent, I really do like it. Judged against the band's first album and their recent EP it falls a little short. Like another reviewer says, it's too short. I see so much opportunity for some of the songs to be fleshed out a little bit which I feel woud've taken them to the next level. I feel like I'm just getting into a song and ready for an extended guitar solo, and then it ends. I also can't help wondering why they released the EP six months previous to this. If they had held back some of those songs for this album it would've been epic. I'm especially thinking of the song called "Soul" here. Still, at the end of the day I'm just nitpicking. I love the title track, "Young Love", and "Face Of Light" in particular.

If there's any justice this band has a great future ahead of them. There are the inevitable comparisons to Zeppelin thrown about which, from what I've read, annoys the band a little bit but on this album I don't really feel it. If anything, I hear a bit of "Mr Mojo risin" in this one which is no bad thing. All in all, Rival Sons have a great sound, a fantastic singer, and a fine album on their hands. I just hope the next one is little longer.

iGroove SXT Digital Audio System for iPod and iPhoneSystem (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars One word: Stunning, 31 Dec 2009
Until you realise just how small this thing is (and you don't until you actually get it in your hands) you cannot appreciate how fantastic it sounds. When I took it out of the box I began to think that I had made an error, that something so small couldn't possibly be as good as what I was hoping for and all the reviews (mainly of the MFI version) that I had read had suggested but it really is that good. No problems with the remote control either. I use mine to listen to Planet Rock using an internet radio app on my iPod Touch and it sounds great despite obviously being a compressed stream. I couldn't be happier and would thoroughly recommend it.

Cosmic Egg
Cosmic Egg
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch, 28 Oct 2009
This review is from: Cosmic Egg (Audio CD)
To be honest I didn't think a lot of this album upon the first few listens but I stuck with it and now it's on constant repeat.
The more you listen to it the better it gets. In fact, I'd go as far to say that it's a better album than their first.
Don't give up on it too early and you will be rewarded.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2009 4:00 PM GMT

One Day Remains
One Day Remains
Offered by westworld-
Price: 19.98

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word: classic, 12 Jan 2005
This review is from: One Day Remains (Audio CD)
What a great album. Whilst Creed were fine musically, I didn't particularly like the singer's voice. In Myles Kennedy though, they have a great singer and between them have created one of the best albums I've heard in a long long time. I'm sick to death of Nu metal, rap/metal crossovers, and soft pop rock acts. This is most definitely a refreshing change for me. Guys with talent making great songs. I can't wait for the next album.