Profile for paperchain > Reviews

Build Me Up From Bones
Offered by MEGA Media FBA
Price: 23.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Build Me Up From Bones (Audio CD)
Having seen Sarah Jarosz on the Transatlantic Sessions TV Series I realised what a fantastic talent she is. I then listened to her previous two albums and two be honest was a bit disappointed. Jarosz is brillian live, but I feel her previous two albums were a bit contrived and didn't showcase her brilliant talent. However, with this new album she has definitely relaxed much more into recording her own songs, and the addition of the other instrumentalists has transformed her recording style, and sounds "live". I could go through each song and say how great they are, but I suggest you listen to the samples and decide for yourself! I find this album incredibly easy to listen to, and must say that unlike some other folk albums, the quality of the tracks stays top-notch, right until the last track. A definite star in the rising - buy it!

Invisible Empire // Crescent Moon
Invisible Empire // Crescent Moon
Price: 7.15

4.0 out of 5 stars Moving and engaging, 10 Jun 2013
Unlike the previous reviewers, I am actually quite a fan of her previous two albums, and not so much of her first album. Having listened to her first album more since, I realised it is a grower and is not as easy-listening as the other two. I feel her latest album is much more intense than any of her other albums and therefore requires more intense listening, but it is so worth it. I have been listening to this on and off all day, and each time I hear something I didn't hear before, the production on this track is exceptional and it has quite a haunting energy, which when listened to in a quiet room is stunning. It has a folk vibe and is minimalist in its use of instruments, which allows KT's voice to shine.

Best tracks for me are Invisible Empire (quite folky and very light), Yellow Flower (very simple, but KT somehow manages to make it meaningful), Crescent Moon (piano on this.. amazing and so moving), and I'm quite partial to her latest single, Feel It All (the band jam version especially). And this is where the album loses a star for me, with Feel It All being the only uptempo track on the album I think I would find this album difficult to listen to all day. It is not a depressing album, and I understand KT's reasons for not wanting uptempo tracks on the album, however I think it needs a couple to keep the listener engaged as sometimes slower tracks tend to be overlooked. The deuluxe version includes a track "Hallowed Ground" which is uptempo and is, I think worth buying for this track if you enjoy KT's energetic side. Buy it and give it a good listen.