Profile for Malcolm Wells > Reviews

Integral Neon 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - Blue
Integral Neon 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - Blue
Price: 13.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 25 Feb 2014
I had hoped for the USB 3.0 angle to be a massive improvement over USB 2.0 but this product is a pretty poor demonstration of that. worse still, the drive died completely after 4 months. I used to trust integral but the last 2 sticks I've bought have failed to last 6 months with light usage. Avoid.

Carol Brown
Carol Brown
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best ever, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Carol Brown (MP3 Download)
I have always enjoyed FOTC music but this is definitely up there with their best. Guilty pleasure perhaps, but it's wonderfully put together.

IT735U3 e-SATA / USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5" SATA HDD w/ USB3 & e-SATA Cables
Offered by eHome
Price: 17.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a bargain., 25 Feb 2014
I'll be honest, at the price I wasn't expecting much more than a basic case and "acceptable" data transfer rates, given most similar products are twice the price. I'm delighted to say I was wrong. Whether via USB 3.0 or eSata (which i'm now sold on) I have enjoyed outstanding speeds over 100 megabytes a second (not megabits, megabytes). That this case has the option of both allows me to use it with my tablet and my Desktop PC. I very much recommend this device, especially if you have eSata enabled on your PC.

Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie [DVD]
Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tim Heidecker
Price: 4.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear..., 7 Nov 2013
I am a big fan of the "Tim & Eric Awesome Show Great Job" and their part in the brilliant "Check It Out with Dr Steve Brule". I am so glad I watched this on Netflix and didn't buy it (I like to think my subscription was paying for Breaking Bad and that this movie was a freebie). There is 'some' customary uncomfortable humour, a genuinely funny (note, 'wrong') sex scene and the premise had such potential...but this is a load of balls. It wouldn't have been quite as bad had Erica Durance had more than 15 seconds on-screen (she's a bit special, that one) but she's done by the time we're 5 minutes in and what follows is just crap.

There are some great comic actors in this film and they are all wasted because while they got "uncomfortable" right, T&E forgot the funny. There are more laughs in the opening monologues of "Check it Out" than this entire film. You know what, I got it, okay? I got what they were doing but that doesn't make it any good. As an exercise in audience alienation this film is positively Brechtian, but that doesn't make it good either. Honestly, there is no less humour in suffering a full anal prolapse while lying in a bath of scolding hot saline than this film. That last line is funnier than anything in the film too, just so you know. I am funnier (than this film) on a bad day. Phillip Schofield biting off my nose and wa**ing on it would be funnier than this film. Death would almost inevitably be more enjoyable an experience because there's relief at the end, even if you don't feel it. There is no relief for me, though; i've seen the film so I know there's nothing redeeming about it.

I am trying to think of something positive to say that doesn't involved the few seconds we got to enjoy Erica Durance, but I can't.

As a crap present for someone you don't quite hate but you certainly don't like, this probably fits the bill. Wrap it up in damp newspaper and you have contempt in gift form, an idea that is funnier than anything in this film.

Yeah, that'll do...i'm annoying myself just thinking about it now.

Ninja Tune XX (Volume 2)
Ninja Tune XX (Volume 2)
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice..., 1 Sep 2013
If, like me, you already like the vast majority of Ninja Tune product you will feel quite at home with this album and there are some funky tunes here. Easier on the ear than volume 1 but the beats are still very Ninja Tune.

Ninja Tune XX (Volume 1)
Ninja Tune XX (Volume 1)
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, Ninja., 1 Sep 2013
If, like me, you already like the vast majority of Ninja Tune product you will feel quite at home here, although not challenged as such. If you're a newcomer this is probably not the album for you. Volume 2 has more variety and is a little kinder when you have the volume on 11, but most of the stuff here is top drawer.

AVerTV Hybrid Volar HX-TV Tuner for Windows Media Center(A827M) (Windows 8 compatible)

3.0 out of 5 stars Works..but DON'T USE THE DRIVER DISC THAT COMES WITH IT!, 7 April 2013
The instructions that come with this pack will mess up your installation if you follow them, which resulted in several reboots, removal of all drivers and disabling and re-enabling Windows Media Centre in both Windows 7 and Windows 8. Here's what you do:

1) Go to the Avermedia website, locate the product, then download the specific "driver only" for your system (for me, I dual boot Windows 7 64bit and Windows 8 Pro 64bit - there are 32bit drivers too).
2) Install the Driver but do NOT plug the tuner in yet. Reboot, even if you're not prompted to.
3) Once you're back in Windows, plug the tuner in and make sure your aerial cable/signal source is connected.
4) Fire up Windows Media Centre, set-up TV signal and you should be fine.

If you have previously used WMC with a different tuner, you will probably need to either delete the database file or remove and then re-add WMC in programs and features. WMC needs to be clean.

So, I have a TV signal in Win7 and Win8 but not without tolerating a painstaking process of adding and removing in Windows 8 - Worked first time in Windows 7 using the above guide.

Seriously...took nearly 2 hours!

Dust-Off XL Duster - 300ml
Dust-Off XL Duster - 300ml
Offered by Pharmacy Place
Price: 6.34

1.0 out of 5 stars Er....avoid., 5 April 2013
Honestly, I can blow harder than this can spray air...seriously, it wouldn't shift dust off the top of my TV, let alone inside my PC. I'm not hating the seller, just the product - it's crap.

Windows 8 Pro, Upgrade Edition [Upgrade from Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7] (PC)
Offered by Esale Express
Price: 139.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 8 - Digital Marmite., 5 April 2013
It's funny how Apple fans welcome every new innovation regardless of how little it differs from its predecessors and how they mock Microsoft for being old codgers. It's also funny that despite such protestations, 90%+ of the worlds computers and laptops run a version of Windows, compared to around 6% running a version of OSX.

I loved Windows 7 because it worked. It worked really well, in fact. It worked so well that I didn't want to give it up, so I dual-booted Windows 8 with Windows 7 (which is really easy, by the way - the installer disc does it for you) so I could compare the two. I have an Acer W700 which replaced my old W500 and I love how it (Win 8) works on a tablet, but on my main PC?

It's fine, people. Spend a couple of pounds and buy Start8 from Stardock (or fiddle around with the free alternatives is you must) and all is well. I like the Modern UI and even on my desktop I have no problems, so much so I find myself only drifting back to Windows 7 for audio and video editing (software compatibility). I have moved everything else, even my Steam account, over to Windows 8.

Windows 8 requires a little more mouse action than before, but that's only if you're flipping between apps a lot...for standard Desktop software, it's really no different at all. THAT'S RIGHT, IT'S NO DIFFERENT! There are more options in plain view than Win 7 had. Installation is the same as ever and if you want to keep your Windows 7 installation, install Windows 8 on a different partition/disc and dual-booting will be set up automatically for you.

It's likely that Win 8 has been killed by tech media who seem all too keen to take MS down and so people will believe the hype and continue to kiss Apple's a-hole, despite them being a bunch of charlatans who annually rip-off their misguided followers with expensive but minor upgrades and horrifically over-priced laptops and desktops. I am Microsoft and proud of it. Win8 Phone, Win8 Tablet, Win8 Desktop and do you know what...it really does "just work" and it boots and shuts down very quickly indeed.

Incidentally, normally when a new version of Windows is released people moan constantly about major bugs and flaws, or incompatibilities...how quiet has it been on that front? Very. It's worth the upgrade for future-proofing and because you can ignore the Modern UI if you wish to and just enjoy a fast-booting clean, new O.S with Start8 ensuring you always boot into your desktop, if you must.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2013 6:54 PM BST

The Hero of Ages: Mistborn: Book Three
The Hero of Ages: Mistborn: Book Three
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic end to a gripping trilogy., 10 Mar 2013
I wasn't a fan of fantasy before The Final Empire and i'm still not even after finishing this book, but that's because I believe that you don't have to like fantasy novels to thoroughly enjoy this trilogy, in the same way you don't have to like science fiction to enjoy the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica (the first 3 seasons, anyway).

This book brings everything to a head, ties up all the loose ends and yet somehow manages to surprise you constantly. The world is dying and it looks bleak throughout the course of this story but truths become untruths, fact becomes fiction and there are twists and turns throughout. Countless times I found myself thinking "ohhhhh, so that's how..." as the writer brings the trilogy to a close with mystery, excitement and battles on a grand scale. Again, characters are sacrificed to drive the story along and If I had one complaint it would be that it all comes to an end too soon, not rushed, perhaps, but soon, within 20 pages from the height of battle to complete resolution.

All that said, I was oddly very sad when it was over. I tested out my new-found appreciation of fantasy with "The Way of Kings" and unfortunately I hated it as I really, really don't like the genre at all. The Mistborn Trilogy, however, is so good it transcends genre. As soon as "The Alloy of Law" appeared I bought it because I can't get enough of it. Buy all three, they are a tremendously good read no matter what you like reading and this is arguably the best of the three.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3