Profile for Ianham > Reviews

Content by Ianham

Ianham "Ianham" (Ross-shire, Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Distant Horizons
Distant Horizons
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Hawkwind, but not as we know it Jim, 3 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Distant Horizons (Audio CD)
Ron Tree may well have been an undervalued member of Hawkwind but during his relatively short tenure, he brought a bit of oomph to the good ship. The song "Phetamine Street" with its list of pharmaceutical products is filled with punky energy and beats the similarly themed Queens of The Stone Age's "Feel Good Hit of the Summer" by a good 3 years. There is a bit of pace in this album - urgency I suppose. There are plenty of dreamy moments to balance things out and enough echoes of their past to satisfy the veteran Hawk watcher. I understand that the band (well Dave Brock at least) considered this recording a tad unfinished - maybe so - but it sounds grand to me. The reissue by Atomhenge may account for an improved sonic quality, I don't know as I did not hear this at the time of release. Coming fresh to this CD some 16 years after it was originally issued, my impression is of a band firing on all cylinders - the fact that the Hawks may have been battle scarred and damaged did not stop it from producing the goods. Of the bonus tracks " Archiac" deserves special mention and should have been included in the original issue.

If you like this one try the latest Hawklords incarnation with Ron Tree, Harvey Bainbridge, Jerry Richards, Adrian Shaw et all. That said, Hawkwind remains the mothership and Brock is still Captain.

All Alone In The End Zone & Thunder Island & Real Life Ain'T This Way
All Alone In The End Zone & Thunder Island & Real Life Ain'T This Way

5.0 out of 5 stars Son of Spirit goes solo, 29 Dec. 2013
Prime time california vibes from the ex-Spirit/Jo Jo Gunne man. If you like those bands then you can buy this CD with complete confidence. The only thing that hampered Jay was his penchant for posing for Playgirl on his record sleeves - however with Ron Burgundy now being hip, Jay's time may have come. Obviously these records are both ridiculously melodic and well played - unfortunately the "Business" wanted new blood and consequently these little gems were overlooked at the time. So grab them now and enjoy a master at work. Alternatively, buy them just for choice snaps of Jay's imperious `tache. The single "Thunder Island" appears to grab most of the headlines (imagine Beach Boys backed by The Raspberries.) however there is no bad `uns here. Catchy as hell with a decent bit of muscle in the rhythm section.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2014 2:38 PM GMT

Space Gypsy
Space Gypsy
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Warp Factor Five, 10 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Space Gypsy (Audio CD)
The story so far.....

The Enterprise (Hawkwind) first took flight under the command of Kirk (played by Captain D Brock), with trusted first officer Spock (the inscrutable Nik Turner). Having completed the five year mission and then some, our good Captain had tired of his first officer's escapades blaming Silurian Gin Juice and his inveterate use of the Targarian War Horn (i.e. inability to remove saxophone from mouth.) Cue, a split amongst the ranks. Kirk moved onto a new ship, coincidently also named The Enterprise, leaving Spock to rue the day he failed to remove his Targarian horn.

Both parties went onto interesting missions over the intervening light-years. Brock in his new shiny Enterprise - gaining and losing crew members and security men at an alarming rate. Spock, on the other hand, charted a different course altogether - more chaotic - anarchic if you will. Spock's logical nature told him that he should be on the bridge of the Enterprise but despite some valiant attempts to board, Spock did not fit in that new, shinier Enterprise.

Spock harkened back to his days with the Captain and the irascible bass engineer, Scott (Lemmy) and "Bones" (Robert Calvert in white coat and goggles). Unfortunately it was not to be - death, libations and cosmic wrangles prevented a full re-union. The one last attempt ended in a scuffle with a Green Finned Daemon (played lustily by Sam Fox).

Yet hope remained and Spock embarked on his boldest venture to reactivate the old ship initially with some of the old crew and, latterly with some fresh faced recruits. Clearly they could not call it The Enterprise - that ship had sailed out to cosmos ...but the old wrecked metal hulk left behind was made ready to go on one last (?) voyage.

All that saw that old ship recognised it for what it was, what it represented. Yes it was battered and yes the crew were different. But when the engines creaked into action and warp drive was achieved (as it did, in no small measure), everyone said that if it looked like a duck, and flew like a duck then it was.......

Some say that the new crew are Klingons. That may be so but enemies can become friends after enough time and space has elapsed. We are all Aliens. It is just a matter of perspective.

So although we can acknowledge that Kirk is, and always will be the Captain of his ship - Spock is a hell of a first officer and this is lovely old space-craft to fly in. Sir, I salute you.

Classic Rock Presents Motörhead Aftershock
Classic Rock Presents Motörhead Aftershock

5.0 out of 5 stars Another stonker!, 1 Nov. 2013
Great Tunes, great lyrics, makes you smile and grab a bear (em... make that beer).

A grizzly of an album.

I commend this to the House.

Zebra
Zebra

5.0 out of 5 stars Stars 'n' Stripes, 26 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Zebra (Audio CD)
Never heard of 'em? Neither had I until I listened to Dream Theater's version of "Take Your Fingers from My Hair" [ from Black Clouds & Silver Linings [Special Edition] Disc 2]. Wow, I said to myself ...that's a tune and a half.

For months I had assumed that DT had written it themselves (CD credits are great but not of much use when listening in the car.) Anyhow having checked, I discovered it was by Zebra (that's Zeee-bra by the way not Zeb-ra). "...Fingers ..." is such a monster tune. It's a wee bit accoustic, then the Great Cyclical Riff until all of a sudden Robert Plant meets Geddy Lee in Battle of the Bands. Yup that good.

Luckily for us the good people of Rock Candy have rescued this, Zebra's debut album from the Black Hole of Rock and what a beauty it is. Bits of Zep, a whole lot of Rush, a great cover of Slow Down (The Flamin' Groovies also do a fantastic version of this), not to mention a bit of Yes/Styx on the final track of The La La song (Fact: there's lots of la la's in the chorus.)

Is it a lost classic? I hear you cry. Yes! Perhaps it is the Rock Candy effect but having also recently purchased their re-releases of Montrose, Paris & Detective I can say with some confidence that they can sure find 'em. Not only that but they are currently providing IMHO the BEST rock remastering around. This stuff sounds fantastic, Play Loud.

Dream Theater
Dream Theater

5.0 out of 5 stars Dream Theater Play Dream Theater Shock!, 26 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Dream Theater (Audio CD)
Nice to see the usual glut of "It's not as good as the last one" reviews. I particularly like the "They were better when nobody liked them...." Always guaranteed for a good laugh. The fact is this is another belter from the band.

Everyone sounds great, the songs are rock solid. Certainly it is more melodic than riff based...no bad thing for my ears. I never understand why a Progressive Metal band is castigated for any change they choose to make. Musicians should be doing what they damn well please. Give the audience what they need , not what they want. As far as I am concerned if DT want to make an album of Western Swing then fine. If it doesn't "swing" my boat then I will wave them a fond farewell but not carp about it. Happily any thoughts of DT turning to Bob Wills seem remote, so I guess I'll be sticking around. (Actually I quite like Take Me Back To Tulsa....). To all of you who are wavering, buy the album and make up your own mind. It rocks.

I commend this CD to the House.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 29, 2013 10:26 AM BST

Drinking with Dead Drunks (Drinking with Dead Writers Book 2)
Drinking with Dead Drunks (Drinking with Dead Writers Book 2)

1.0 out of 5 stars Probably best read very drunk or dead, 13 Aug. 2013
Fantastic concept... so good in fact I downloaded the kindle version (super easy by the way). To say I was disappointed would be something of an understatement. Imagine a 4th year school pupil of average intelligence (but little wit or panache) let loose with a scrap book of quotations, access to Wikipedia and list of the authors favourite drinks. In a nutshell there you have it. I plowed on through the book in the vain hope that either it would improve or my own state of inebriation might illuminate some dark inner workings of genius. Unhappily neither event happened and I was left with a heap of tosh albeit that I now now Truman Capote drank Justerini & Brooks (J & B) whisky and would have preferred Marilyn Monroe in Breakfast at Tiffanys. Fascinating. Ambrose and Turner have succeeded in turning what could have been an entertaining romp into a mundane plod. I fully accept that this is a personal view and clearly some will be enchanted. I however consider this a wasted opportunity. Taking my initial school analogy one stage further, I would say this deserves a "1/5 Good idea, poorly executed.... must try harder next time".

Regrettably, I cannot recommend this to the House.

Austin, Texas. The Willy & Waylon Years - From The Rock & Roll Side of Town 1974 - 1976 (Don Buford's Bedside Companion Book 2)

2.0 out of 5 stars Or why Don would like to be Hunter, 7 Aug. 2013
Drug fuelled mad escapes in guilt free seventies Austin sounded fine for alcohol fueled angst ridden holiday. Suitably wired author endeavours manfully to impart his love for dope rocknroll and free love.Unfortunately Hunter S Thompson did this forty years ago with journalistic flair and real wit. Why settle for less.

The Tex Mex Experience
The Tex Mex Experience
Offered by Hardliner-music

5.0 out of 5 stars Aw C'mon ....grab a beer and have a party!, 23 July 2013
This review is from: The Tex Mex Experience (Audio CD)
Quicky review here. Doug's boy Shawn Sahm kicks up a storm with crack band. Easily the World's greatest good time party band. In fact the CD should come with instant pool, girls and beer. Now thats what I would call a Deluxe edition. Look, I could try to describe the groovy tracks here but trust your ears on the snippets that can be found and just buy this. For the uninitiated - mix country, blues, rock'n'roll, an accordion , big hats and a dollop of chilli. Buy on sight!

History of the Visitation
History of the Visitation

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Guano at all, 11 Jun. 2013
As is often the case a P makes all the difference. Guapo! never heard of them at all until Steve"Interesting" Davis (Progmeister) happened to mention them in his column in "Prog" magazine. Seems this lot have links with a resurgent Rock in Opposition (Henry Cow et al). Well blow me down and call me Mary, Steve is as adept at spotting talent as he is at potting balls on a dark night with a blindfold on. This is a cracking band. Beefy instrumentals that manage to sound ancient & modern at the same time. Pretty dark though and reminds me of Anekdoten and Änglagård (for those in the know) or a charging rhino with an attitude problem (for those who aren't in the know.)Anyhow, this is bril. Play loud at spotty youths and scare them away!.

Nice One Steve.

I commend this to the House.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12