Profile for George Kelly > Reviews

Content by George Kelly

George Kelly (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Amazon.co.uk Gift Card - In a Greeting Card - £10 (Birthday Balloons)
Amazon.co.uk Gift Card - In a Greeting Card - £10 (Birthday Balloons)

5.0 out of 5 stars BE CAREFUL!!!, 16 May 2016
I bought this for my mum's birthday (I also bought her a plastic rose from Poundland before you call me a cheapskate) and she seemed happy with it. She immediately redeemed the voucher and used it to purchase 50 Shades of Grey, and then for two weeks she didn't answer her phone.

When I next visited her, she answered the door dressed in a gimp's outfit and a black Zorro mask; whips and chains were scattered throughout her living room. I heard a man crying in the cupboard, although she denied it and claimed it was the groan of her pipes (. . . not THOSE pipes . . .) and now she's pregnant and the doctors don't know how that's possible at her age.

Anyway, my point is, be careful who you give this gift card to. It's easy to redeem and use, but it destroyed my relationship with my mother, and now she's cut me out of her will in favour of her bast*rd love child.

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Case, Onyx Black - fits all Paperwhite generations

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit, 16 May 2016
I love this case. Without it, my Kindle would look and feel naked, and I'd end up breaking it somehow (by dropping it or throwing it at the wall, depending on what I'm reading). It fits snugly, it looks nice, and it doesn't add much bulk to the Paperwhite (you're still able to slip it in your pocket like a small paperback). I'd recommend it to everyone if I could.

I love this case so much I bought a giant one for my fridge and I replaced my front door with a Kindle case and my toilet lid too, and basically everything that opens in my house is now an Onyx Black leather case. When people come to my house, they just have to pull open the door and I automatically switch on and become animated, just like the Paperwhite does thanks to the magnetic clasp.

Harry Potter - Complete 8-Film Collection [DVD] [2001]
Harry Potter - Complete 8-Film Collection [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and The Wicked Witch of South London, 16 May 2016
I bought this collection as a gift for my wife. She's now practicing wizardry and black magic and I'm worried because this morning I found a dead frog under my pillow. Also, the cats in our neighbourhood are going missing at an alarming rate and my wife now cooks our dinner in a black cauldron.

Is this Harry Potter's fault? Did Hermione influence this wickedness?

I don't know, but the DVDs arrived promptly and as stated, so I can't fault the service or the quality of the product.

20th Century Ghosts
20th Century Ghosts

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, 23 Mar. 2016
20th Century Ghosts is a hit-and-miss short story collection from Joe Hill, son of Stephen King. Hill shares his dad’s talent for building believable characters and placing them in atmospheric and chilling scenarios, but many of the stories in this collection suffer from being bloated and directionless, as if Hill thought of a cute concept and just ran with it, making it up as he went along. The ratio of good-to-mediocre is one in three. That means one-third of this book is amazing and two-thirds of it are mind-numbingly slow.

Unlike the title suggests this isn’t a book filled with ghost tales (although a few stories do touch on that subject). It’s more diverse than that: a horror-crime-supernatural hybrid of pieces, with a story for everyone, one in each genre.

The most frustrating part is that this could have been so good, and there are at least four or five stand-out stories that deserve to be separated from this mediocre offering. Hill would have been wise to wait a few years. That way he could have built up a larger collection of work to choose from and maybe picked a better calibre and mix of stories.

In short: read it, but skim past the slow stories.

They don’t get better as you read on.

Enough Rope
Enough Rope
by Lawrence Block

5.0 out of 5 stars Roped In., 18 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Enough Rope (Paperback)

“I’d rather be carried by 6 than judged by 12 . . .”

Enough Rope is a gargantuan collection of one-hundred short stories by Lawrence Block, spanning over 40 years’ worth of material. Many of them have previously been released in magazines or other compilations or online, but near to the end of the book, there are also some unpublished pieces for those who’ve read all of his older work.

In any case, Enough Rope is currently the most complete gathering of his stories, and a must-have for any Block fan. Out of the 100 stories, about ten percent are duds, which is an amazing ratio, giving you nine classics out of ten. Some stories you’ll guess the twist near the beginning; others you won’t see it coming, even if you’re looking for it. Not all of the stories end with a twist, but many do. Either way, each piece pulls the reader in. Block has such an easy, fluid writing style, making his stories a pleasure to read. They grab early and don’t let go until they’re over.

However, the collection does slow down about halfway through.

This is because Block sections off the book with the “regulars”—short stories based on regular characters from his novels—and although some of them are interesting, the Martin EhrenGraff stories are especially repetitive and predictable, and you’d be forgiven for skipping them. Five or six stories later, the collection picks up pace again.

The creativity and imagination to produce so many unique works is astounding. Block has managed to keep his writing inventive and gripping for over four decades. The man is a writing machine; a well-oiled, productive, over-functioning member of the writing elite. This book is a testament to his hard work, and a celebration of his talent.

If you enjoy the short-story format, or you’re fan, you’ll love this collection.

Pick it up, read it, and don’t stop until the final twist spins your mind backwards.

Happy Birthday (Doodle) - E-mail Amazon.co.uk Gift Voucher
Happy Birthday (Doodle) - E-mail Amazon.co.uk Gift Voucher

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Vouchers, 1 Feb. 2016
What is there to say about this? It was a quick process and the person I sent it to got the email on his birthday and was able to use the voucher immediately. It doesn't have to be spent all at once. He was able to buy multiple products and still keep the leftover money to use at a later date.

Forefront Cases® New Leather Folding Case Cover for Apple iPad Mini 3 / 3rd Generation (October 2014) - Full device protection and Smart Auto Sleep Wake function with 3 YEAR Forefront CASES WARRANTY
Offered by Forefront Cases

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable Cover., 1 Feb. 2016
I've had this for about six months now and I haven't felt the need to change covers. It's not as good as the official Apple cover (which will cost you something stupid like £60) but for the price, it's better (or at least AS GOOD) as most other covers on the market. It folds fine and holds up my iPad Mini when I prop it up on a surface. Also, the material is durable and hasn't fallen apart since I've had it (and I lug my iPad EVERYWHERE).

Worth it, especially for the price.

a.k.a. Evan Hunter, a.k.a. Ed McBain: an interview with the author of "The Blackboard Jungle" and 87th Precinct mystery series

3.0 out of 5 stars If you like Ed McBain, 1 Feb. 2016
Interesting interview with Ed McBain (AKA Evan Hunter). This is one for fans only.

If you like Ed McBain, it's worth the 99p.

(Also, as a bonus you get a short story at the end. It's not an Ed McBain but it's an interesting story nonetheless.)

End of line clearance. 925 Silver stud earrings handmade with sparkling crystal from SWAROVSKI®.
Offered by pewterhooter

4.0 out of 5 stars They're a good value for money, 1 Feb. 2016
I'd been looking for some new studs for a while and these fit my needs perfectly. They're a good value for money.

The Blackboard Jungle
The Blackboard Jungle
by Evan Hunter

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to School, 1 Feb. 2016
This review is from: The Blackboard Jungle (Hardcover)
"
He had never stopped a rape before, except by changing his mind, and he found his role of “protector of the virgin” a difficult one to assume.

"

Blackboard Jungle is set in a vocational high school in the fifties and shows the journey, over the course of a single school year, of a new idealistic teacher—Richard Dadier—who just wants to teach, and who believes he can reach a class of undisciplined teenagers, just as long as he can find a way to engage them.

At first seem it seems as if there’s not much in the way of plot to hold the reader’s attention, but Hunter utilises every skill in his arsenal to grasp the audience and keep them interested throughout, using a number of emotionally gruelling moments to explore his themes of redemption, faith and hopelessness. [Small spoiler] There’s a particularly moving scene in which one of the teachers, wanting to get the kids on his side, decides to bring in his record collection and share it with the class. The teacher stands at the front of the class, proud of his music, wanting the kids to listen and participate in his love — and all they do is insult his choice of music and eventually destroy his records whilst he screams for them to stop. The scene is written so well that I genuinely felt bad for the guy. I wanted to jump in the book with a shotgun and kill all those kids, knowing on some level that I was like that back in school too. I probably would have been the first student to open my mouth and make the teacher feel terrible. [End of spoiler].

There’s also a running subplot with a seductive femme fatale (another teacher in his department) who continuously attempts to lure the main character into bed. Richard Dadier, whose wife is pregnant and rarely “in the mood” has to fight his urges and curb her advances. And Hunter paints the scenario in such an evocative way, that we’re able to feel the character’s pain and conflict: lusting and wanting, but not wanting at the same time.

There are many more moments like this in the book: scenes that seem inconsequential on the surface, but effectively tug at the reader's emotions and fill out the picture of Dadier’s life of tension, pain and broken dreams. And to wrap it all up, Hunter doesn’t cop out with an inspirational ending where all the students learn the error of their ways and turn into A-grade pupils. It’s more like a portrait of what it was like to be a teacher in those days, and in these days too. The book is no less prevalent today as I’m sure it was then.

It’s raw and real and will bring most readers back to their school days.

In conclusion: this book is essential reading.

For everyone.