Profile for MikeJarman > Reviews

MikeJarman

The Passionflower Massacre and Sleepwalking
The Passionflower Massacre and Sleepwalking

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 29 April 2014
I very much enjoyed both of Nicola Morgan's books.
Because Nicola writes mainly for YA readers, I thought I might find them a bit on the 'young' side for me. Wrong!
A thoroughly entertaining read.
Well worth downloading
Thanks!

At the Dying of the Year (A Richard Nottingham Mystery)
At the Dying of the Year (A Richard Nottingham Mystery)
by Chris Nickson

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another great page turner., 1 April 2013
I was hooked from the very start. The Leeds based Richard Nottingham books are a wonderful collection. This latest addition is every bit as powerful and enjoyable as its predecessors. Well rounded and believable characters, strong plot and plenty of atmosphere make this book one you won't want to put down. Buy it.

Broken (The Cole Trilogy, Part 2)
Broken (The Cole Trilogy, Part 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another cracker from Marshall Buckley, 16 Jan. 2012
If you enjoyed The Long Second, and I'm sure you will have done, you will love Broken.
Marshall Buckley's second book of the trilogy demonstrates his fantastic imagination and ability to spin a very enjoyable tale. As with the first book, I genuinely cared for the characters. I was immediately hooked and now can't wait for the third book to come out.
At this price, you really can't go wrong. Download now and be enthralled. You won't regret it.

The Long Second (The Cole Trilogy, Part 1)
The Long Second (The Cole Trilogy, Part 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 16 Jan. 2012
Some people imagine, wrongly, that a self-published book cannot be as good as a book offered by a publishing house.
Marshall Buckley's book proves just how wrong they are. From the very first pages I cared for the characters, I wanted to know how they got on. The story line is strong, surprising and thoroughly enjoyable. For me, it was a 100% page turner.
Don't dither, press the purchase button, you really won't regret it!

Florence and Giles
Florence and Giles
by John Harding

5.0 out of 5 stars A gothic treasure, 30 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Florence and Giles (Paperback)
I seldom get really excited by a book - That seems to be a strange and odd thing to say, especially as I am an incurable book lover, but what I mean is, REALLY excited. However, John Harding's FLORENCE & GILES has had me enthralled from the first page. It's dark and tense, spooky and chilling; all the ingredients required for a cracking gothic thriller. The gilt on the gingerbread is Florence's wonderful language. It's captivating and addictive. I defy anyone not to conjure new words, just as the heroin. I promise, you won't be able to resist.
Now I'm going to nail my colours to the mast and say I wouldn't be at all surprised if this book becomes a classic. A book read by many, and indeed become the Harper Lee in secondary school syllabuses throughout the land.
There, I've said it. Will you agree with me? Well, buy the book and find out. I believe you'll find your money well spent.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2011 8:19 PM BST

Method, The (Salt Modern Fiction)
Method, The (Salt Modern Fiction)
by Tom Vowler

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful collection of short stories., 8 Nov. 2010
I didn't know what to expect and certainly didn't see it coming, but Tom Vowler stopped be dead in my tracks.
Emotionally, I tumbled into this book. It is obvious that great care had been taken in crafting/ordering his stories of life, love and loss in a way that draws the reader over the edge of a crater and down the steep inner edge. Masterfully done.
I strongly urge that if you who are thinking of buying this book, that you press the add to cart button now. You won't be disappointed.

Kydd: Thomas Kydd 1
Kydd: Thomas Kydd 1
by Julian Stockwin

5.0 out of 5 stars Kydd, 21 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Kydd: Thomas Kydd 1 (Paperback)
Excellent read. I have read and loved all of O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series and find Stockwin's sea adventures superb.
If, like me, you enjoyed O'Brian, you will enjoy this.