Profile for Simon Meller > Reviews

Content by Simon Meller

Simon Meller

Page: 1 | 2
And Is There Honey Still For Tea? (A Ben Schroeder Novel Book 3)
And Is There Honey Still For Tea? (A Ben Schroeder Novel Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific read involving spying and the legal profession in the 1960!, 20 May 2015
I really enjoyed this book because it wove an intricate path through the real 1960s situation with Guy Burgess and the other 'Cambridge spies' and a possible further spy who was a high-up member of the legal profession and also a first-rate chess player, which was how he managed so many trips to the Soviet Union. The use of chess to convey information is very clever and the book moves at a great pace with many intricate twists and turns. The Cambridge aspect is very nostalgic for me but best of all is the insight which this book provides into the functioning of the legal profession which probably has not changed very much between then and now. An excellent read all round, and accomplished wonderfully !

A Higher Duty (A Ben Schroeder Novel Book 1)
A Higher Duty (A Ben Schroeder Novel Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a very good read!, 19 Jan. 2013
This was a really good read. Partly I enjoyed it because some of it was set in Cambridge which I found quite nostalgic and more was set in Temple which also held good memories for me. However the best bits were the story lines which were very well executed and held one's attention - a bit of everything, all set in a very credible and understandable legal background which made you see that the lawyers are human too! It allowed me to understand more about legal processes but was fun in the process - I couldn't put it down! I think this book would be great as a TV serialisation and I hope Mr Murphy writes some more very soon!

Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots
Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots

5.0 out of 5 stars Unorthodox, 19 Feb. 2012
I found this a really compulsive read. Not only did it teach me masses about Orthodox Judaism, the customs and way of life, but I felt so strongly for Deborah in the amazing and very difficult journey that she made. What a world to try to break away from ! She is really to be congratulated on her accomplishments of breaking away from a life which really did not suit her - although many do not question it - and producing such an excellent and readable book.

JGT

Veebeam HD | Wireless PC to TV link | 1080p
Veebeam HD | Wireless PC to TV link | 1080p

3.0 out of 5 stars A new HD beamer, 25 Mar. 2011
I have been looking for a 1920 x 1080 HD wireless beamer to transmit photos & videos from my computer across a big room to a 50 inch plasma. This gizmo looked neat and affordable. It came the next day and it took quite a bit of time to get the settings optimised, but the support on Veebeam's chat line was excellent. I am now very pleased with the HD quality on the big screen for still photographs. There is a lag time of a couple of seconds between the computer screen and the plasma.
Video is more of a problem unless you have a very powerful processor on your computer and you have to find a compromise between jerkiness and resolution. Saved video works better than streaming from iPlayer, which is barely watchable even at lower resolution, because of the jerkiness of the image. Veebeam anticipate software and hardware updates may improve these problems in the future, but at the moment I can only recommend it for still images
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2013 8:17 AM BST

Life [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Life [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ David Attenborough

4.0 out of 5 stars BBC Life on Blu-Ray, 4 Sept. 2010
Needed to free up space on SkyHD+ hard drive and couldn't bring myself to erase David Attenborough's wonderful programs that went out last year. The Blu-Ray discs are even better than the original transmission.

Mac Box Set (Including OS X Snow Leopard, iLife 09, iWork 09) Single User Pack (Mac)

5.0 out of 5 stars Mac '09 software and Snow Leopard OS, 4 Sept. 2010
I waited a bit to upgrade my '08 Mac OS and iLife software. Once the price was right, I went for it and it was well worth it.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars A sticky outcome for clothes moths, 4 Sept. 2010
This is a good product. Although not the ultimate solution, it allows you to tell if you are begining to win the battle. Somewhat overpriced for a strip of sticky paper, but the attractant chemical would be tricky to make yourself

Neet® - 1m - TOSlink Digital Optical Audio Cable - LightWave DT4 pro FLX lead - SPDIF - Precision Digital Audio
Offered by Neet Cables

4.0 out of 5 stars Neet optical cables, 2 Aug. 2010
Arrived promptly. Good quality product. Good value for money. This is the 3rd or 4th time I have purchased from Neet and I have always been well satisfied

Humax PVR9300T/320GB Digital TV Recorder
Humax PVR9300T/320GB Digital TV Recorder

4.0 out of 5 stars PVRs don't come better than this one, 4 Jan. 2010
I had to choose a product to replace a 4 year old Panasonic PVR that had given up the ghost. I can only say that the Humax is great with very good upscaled picture quality via HDMI to a large plasma screen. Sound also excellent. Handset simple and intuitive. The EPG is a bit slow to load up from cold, but selection of programmes to record is fast and simple once it is up and running. It seems to be an excellent product at the price.

Her Fearful Symmetry
Her Fearful Symmetry
by Audrey Niffenegger

1.0 out of 5 stars Sad Sad stuff, 11 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Her Fearful Symmetry (Hardcover)
This is truely awful - the only good bit was the stuff about Highgate cemetery which was very well researched. The story itself was hopeless- totally unconvincing and really vey unpleasant, with serious frisants of necrophilia if you could be bothered to even read that far. I found that I was entirely unable to empathise with the poorly drawn characters, half of whom might just as well have have had a role at all - eg the crossword setter Martin- what was the point ?! God help me,it was a very poor and unpleasant read - at least the Time Traveller had me convinced and I even shed a tear. This left me cold and disappointed in the chances of an afterlife !

Page: 1 | 2