Profile for S. Fitzell > Reviews

Content by S. Fitzell

S. Fitzell (London, U.K.)

An End Has a Start
An End Has a Start
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Once you Start, you won't want it to End!, 27 Jun. 2007
This review is from: An End Has a Start (Audio CD)
When a band release a great first album, then attempt to follow this up with a second album, I'm always sceptical that their debut can be matched or even improved upon. The Back Room was a great album, so naturally I was eagerly awaiting the release of 'An End Has A Start' with great anticipation. But I also had a sense of scepticism - could they produce an album as good as, or even better than The Back Room? Answer: Yes.

I sat down for the first time to listen through the 10 tracks in a row and immediately found myself going back and repeating tracks! 'The Racing Rats' is probably the highlight of the album for me, its a superb up-tempo track reminiscent of 'Blood' and 'Munich' on their debut album, and will almost certainly be released as a future single. The album's title track 'An End Has A Start' is another hum-dinger of a tune, which I also hope is released as a single as it will no doubt be a success.

Other great tracks to look out for are 'Bones', the poignant 'Weight of the World', and the quite magnificent 'When Anger Shows'. Even 'Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors', which was a great comeback single and has undoubtedly attracted people to buy the album, almost seems a distant memory now that I have listened to the whole albumn!

The only sticky point is that a few of the slower tracks such as 'Push Your Head Up Towards The Air' and 'Well Worn Hand' are a little tedious and boring to listen to, but this of course is just my opinion.

Suffice to say, The Editors have pulled a rabbit out of a hat with this album. Although its fairly short at 10-tracks, it is quite simply a little gem. I would thoroughly recommend this for anyone who liked The Back Room.

My ticket to the V Festival in August this year has just become even more valuable with the release of this album - well done guys!!!