Profile for Sparky > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
48:13
48:13

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome return to form, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: 48:13 (Audio CD)
I was really disappointed with Velociraptor, but I've been listening to this album for a week now and it doesn't disappoint. There's such a funky beat running right through this album, that you can't help but to sing along to, regardless of some iffy lyrics.

Eez-eh, bumblebeee and stevie may be brilliant, cloud-pleasing singles, but it’s tracks like bow and treat that really stand out for me. On first listen the album seems to sag in the middle, but after a few plays tracks like doomsday, glass and clouds are growers. There’s not a duff track on the album apart from the 3 filler tracks, but I guess 45:00 wouldn’t be such an unusual title...

Shaka Rock
Shaka Rock

4.0 out of 5 stars Possibly their best album yet, 14 Sep 2009
This review is from: Shaka Rock (Audio CD)
Jet's third studio album has been a long time in coming and we're beginning to see a pattern. 2003 Get Born. 2006 Shine On. 2009 Shaka Rock. Now, if I have to wait till 2012 for more Jet, then I'm not going to be happy!

Shaka Rock is a departure from the "Old Man Rock" direction of Shine On in that they revert to a more middle ground between that, and their exciting debut album Get On. What we have here is less of the slow ballads and more of the romping rock that we know and love. Things aren't as over-produced either, and some of that raw energy once again flows through. Also, unlike both previous outings, the album flows better. What we have here is a band wanting to perfect their record and it's all the better for it.

Whilst progression isn't vastly forthcoming, Jet has experimented with a few new sounds - particularly `Beat on Repeat' and `Seventeen'. Whilst neither of these are highlights of the album, they're not unwanted either. Overall the album is a success and will stay routed in your CD or MP3 player for weeks to come. Overall 8/10.

01. K.I.A. (Killed In Action): Whilst a decent start to the album, it suffers from needing repeat playing as it sounded very mediocre on first listen. I'd have liked to have seen this later on the playlist. 7/10

02. Beat on Repeat: Ok, on first listen you think `What the hell?' But if you can get past the distinct Dance/Rock style with a Drum n' Bass vibe, there is some good stuff here. Sure, it's quite a departure for Jet, but to a degree it works well. With that said, I did find that it gets boring quite quickly, despite its short duration. 6/10

03. She's a Genius: After a disappointing couple of tracks we get to the first single off the album - and one which is eerily reminiscent of 'Are You Gonna Be My Girl', the hugely successful song from their debug album. If this is the only song you've heard so far, it is a strong indication of the quality on offer from album as a whole. 8/10

04. Black Hearts (On Fire): This is Jet at their finest, with a typically raw sounding and catchy chorus. After a worrying start, the album shifted gears with potential single material. 9/10

05. Seventeen: This doesn't sound like a Jet song at all. The fact that it's pretty good shows how they are progressing, albeit in bite-sized chunks! Contrary to over reviews I've read, I felt that this song got repetitive and old too soon. Good, but no cigar. 6/10

06. La Di Da: Easily the most memorable track on my first play through and it still stands out on repeat playing. At its epitome is an extremely catchy chorus and Jet at their very powerful best. To me this highlights how Shaka Rock is more of an amalgamation of both the raw rock sound of Get Born and the warm sound soft rock sound of Shine On. 9/10

07. Goodbye Hollywood: This will undoubtedly be a future single and is probably the strongest track on the album. Stick it on repeat and you'll be screeching along to this at every opportunity. 10/10

08. Walk: One of the weaker tracks on the album. There's nothing terrible about it other than being unremarkable and easily forgettable. 6/10

09. Times Like This: Now this is a great anthem. Whilst Jet have never been lyrically distinguished, songs like this show a remarked improvement. It builds into a right stormer too, and is the start to very a strong ending to the album. 8/10

10. Let Me Out: Heavily influenced and hugely commercial and none the worse for it either. You'll be singing along to this song in the car for weeks to come. Fabulous stuff indeed. 9/10

11. Start the Show: An aggressive rock track with bundles of energy and some rollicking rock riffs. This should definitely have been the opening track to the album. 8/10.

12. She Holds a Grudge: The only ballad on the disc and it's a complete cracker. Vocally, this is brilliant and one of my favourite Jet songs. "Once in my life I'm gonna say sorry before I die. Baby I'm sorry, so sorry, I apologise. Babe when I hold you then you will know you're my woman." Superb. Even the funky Beatles-esque mid section isn't out of place. One thing Jet always does is end an album well. 10/10

Here We Stand
Here We Stand
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Standing Tall, 9 Jun 2008
This review is from: Here We Stand (Audio CD)
It's been a good few weeks for British music with excellent releases from The Pigeon Detectives and The Zutons - can the Fratellis follow suit with their successor to Costello Music?

I heard their recent set on Jools Holland and pretty much loved every new track they performed. This is quite unusual for me because most albums really have to grow on me, but this was instant - so as you can imagine, I had pretty high hopes for this sophomore release.

The three opening tracks are absolutely stonking summer songs, and if A Heady Tale isn't released as a single then I'll eat my metaphorical hat. Look Out Sunshine sounds very 90s, very much like something the Supernaturals would create. Stragglers Moon is probably my least favourite track - luckily the fantastic Mistress Mabel is but a skip-button away. If you've not caught the single yet, do so!

The back straight isn't quite as fine as the first 6 tracks, but still very good nonetheless. Tell Me A Lie is a nice change in style, and sounds heavily influenced by The White Stripes, whilst Babydoll, Acid Jazz Singer & Lupe Brown are all annoyingly catchy tracks that you'll be singing along to in the car for weeks.

Overall, it's probably better than their debut album, the lyrics themselves certainly are. If the Fratellis continue to mature like this, things bode extremely well for album number three - hopefully it'll only be a year away.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2008 3:04 PM BST

Emergency
Emergency
Offered by DVD Overstocks

4.0 out of 5 stars I really thought this would be disappointing, 4 Jun 2008
This review is from: Emergency (Audio CD)
How wrong I was. Whilst the debut Wait For Me was a pretty decent guitar record, it was certainly not perfect. Many bands that have a little success are unable to build on that, and after hearing the band boast that they've already finished material for a third album I was sceptical about the quality of number 2.

That said, I actually think they've slightly surpassed themselves. Sure, the CD won't be in your player for months to come, but it will be constantly be playing for the next few weeks - more-so if the weather stays fine. Good job lads.

You Can Do Anything
You Can Do Anything
Offered by Books-and-Sounds

4.0 out of 5 stars Felt indifferent at first, but it grows on you, 4 Jun 2008
This review is from: You Can Do Anything (Audio CD)
I like the Zutons a lot. I've been a fan since their debut, Who Killed The Zutons, and loved how different their music was compared to the mainstream stuff that plagues the charts. Tired Of Hanging Around was an excellent follow up, albeit forcing some more chart friendly stuff in - the evolution was all-good however, and I had very high hopes for their third incarnation.

First impressions were not good. I had heard very little hype about the new album, and when I finally got to hear the single Always Right Behind You I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It's definitely one of the weaker songs on the album, and everything else sounded pretty mediocre on first play - certainly no Valerie in there.

But then, I'm often like that with music - I remembered on first play through I wasn't overly keen on the previous two albums either. A dozen listens later and my reservations have now disappeared - it is most definitely a grower.

Stand out tracks are: Harder and Harder, Dirty Rat, What's Your Problem, You Could Make The Four Walls Cry, Family Of Leeches, Freak. Don't let first impressions put you off, give it a chance and it'll be your driving soundtrack for months to come.

Consolers Of The Lonely
Consolers Of The Lonely

4.0 out of 5 stars Far better than their debut, 13 April 2008
This review is from: Consolers Of The Lonely (Audio CD)
This is just a quick review for the White Stripes fans that, like me, thought the first Raconteurs album was boring in places - this second album is absolutely superb. After about five listens, I can safely say that there is not a single duff track here.

Consoler of the Lonely - 4/5
Rich Kid Blues - 4/5
These Stones Will Shout - 4/5
Carolina Drama - 5/5
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 15, 2008 1:21 AM BST

Rock Band - Game Only (Xbox 360)
Rock Band - Game Only (Xbox 360)
Offered by WorldCinema

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive!!!!!!! Does not include the instrument!!!, 11 April 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Before you spend £40-50 on this, be aware that it does not include the instruments - it's just the game. If you want the instruments, which to be fair you will, you have to pay up to an extra £140 !!!!! Save your money and buy Guitar Hero 3 instead - for £60 you get the game AND the instrument.

Electronic Arts Official Rock Band Drums (Xbox 360)
Electronic Arts Official Rock Band Drums (Xbox 360)

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive!!!!!!! Does not include the game!!!, 11 April 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Before you spend £60 on this, be aware that it does not include the game - it's just the controller. If you want the game, you have to pay an extra £50 !!!!! Save your money and buy Guitar Hero 3 instead - for £60 you get the game AND the the instrument.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 26, 2008 11:08 AM BST

Electronic Arts Official Rock Band Guitar (Xbox 360)
Electronic Arts Official Rock Band Guitar (Xbox 360)

1.0 out of 5 stars Expensive!!!!!!! Does not include the game!!!, 11 April 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Before you spend £60 on this, be aware that it does not include the game - it's just the controller. If you want the game, you have to pay an extra £50 !!!!! Save your money and buy Guitar Hero 3 instead - for £60 you get the game AND the guitar.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2008 8:50 AM BST

Rock Band: Band in a Box (Xbox 360)
Rock Band: Band in a Box (Xbox 360)
Offered by clickforgamesltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Double the price of the american version!!, 10 April 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Firstly make a note that for £130, you don't get the game. That's £50 extra. You could get all £180 worth in the US for $170 - that's just £85. For some reason, the publishers have increased the RPP considerably for the Europeon release. Even with amazon discounts, it's still way overpriced. Wait for the inevitable price drop!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 23, 2008 4:48 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2