Profile for Tom Webb > Reviews

Content by Tom Webb

Tom Webb

Swarm (Star Force Series Book 1)
Swarm (Star Force Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 20 Oct. 2012
I was initially concerned that the basic premise behind this book seems trite and cliché. Luckily however I decided to trial the book and haven't been able to put it down since. It's a gritty and raw novel full of twists and turns with pleasantly complex characters.

Ep.#4 - "Freedom's Dawn" (The Frontiers Saga)
Ep.#4 - "Freedom's Dawn" (The Frontiers Saga)

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow start but a cracking end, 6 Aug. 2012
Ryk's books tend to be a bit on the short side. They are however cracking areas and he has really grown as an author when comparing his later books to his earlier ones.

Ep. 4 starts slow but has a cracking ending, the cliffhanger is superb, I was on a plane when I finished it so was gutted that I couldn't immediately download Ep. 5.

Overall its a solid book, but the start could have used better pacing.

Ep.#3 - "The Legend of Corinair" (The Frontiers Saga)
Ep.#3 - "The Legend of Corinair" (The Frontiers Saga)

5.0 out of 5 stars The series just keeps getting better!, 2 Aug. 2012
I've been quite critical of the earlier books in this sequel. I tore through this novel though, I finished it in 24 hours, not because it was too short (a complaint I levelled at the prior book in the series) but because I was totally hooked.

The combat has always been excellent in this series but was spectacular in this book.
The characterisation whilst weak in book one was tremendously improved.
The length was fine.
The story arc starts to knit all the earlier events together in this book and I'm gagging for the next book :D.

Ep.#2 - "The Rings of Haven" (The Frontiers Saga)
Ep.#2 - "The Rings of Haven" (The Frontiers Saga)

3.0 out of 5 stars Short but sweet, 31 July 2012
At only 171 pages it felt like more of a novella than a novel. I completed the book in a day - even though I completed a full days work in between reading sessions.

I felt the writing had improved dramatically from episode one and I feel that the author is definitely improving. The ending was good, a better ending than episode one but still would have benefited from punchier dialogue in the final scene.

The combat as usual was great, the space combat especially. The new characters introduced were more rounded and overall despite a slow beginning I really enjoyed reading this book. I would have given it four stars but docked a point for the shortness (its the same price as the longer episode one).

I am however really looking forward to episode three which is longer.

Despite my reservations in my review for episode one I'm now hooked on this series.

Ep.#1 - "Aurora: CV-01" (The Frontiers Saga)
Ep.#1 - "Aurora: CV-01" (The Frontiers Saga)

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good pulp sci-fi, 30 July 2012
I found the first 25% of the book to be a tad slow and wasn't overly impressed by the lead character. The dialogue was good but not great. The plot line however was solid and I found myself getting hooked.

All in all, I've rated it 3 stars, if the beginning had been as good as when he got into his stride later on in the book then I would have given it a 4. I WILL be reading the sequel as soon as I finish this review.

Pro's - Interesting supporting cast, solid plot, enjoyable and well managed battle scenes.
Con's - Slow start, lead character is annoying, ending needed more drama.

Philips Shaver Series 5000 with TripleTrack Blades and Pop-up Trimmer PT920/19
Philips Shaver Series 5000 with TripleTrack Blades and Pop-up Trimmer PT920/19

1.0 out of 5 stars Appalling shaver, 23 Mar. 2012
This is the most expensive and worst shave that I've recieved from an Electric shaver. It gives me an immensely patchy shave and I ended up having to finish off with a wet shave.

I don't mind shavers not giving as close a shave as a wet shave but I expect consistant results. Especially as my last electric from Philips (a considerably cheaper model) gave me such a good shave.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2012 2:02 AM BST

Star Soldier (Doom Star 1)
Star Soldier (Doom Star 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow starting but a surprisingly enjoyable tale, 28 Feb. 2011
When I started reading this novel I was convinced that I was going to write it off as a two star book. The opposing factions are generic and are diametrically opposed in an exaggerated, clichéd manner which robbed me of the sense of belief that they could ever have been 'one nation'. The characters themselves are one dimensional and can come across as wooden at times. Dialog as well is frequently stilted and feels awkward.

The biggest surprise for me then was when I actually really got into the book. The combat scenes were tremendous fun. The space combat not as much as the land combat, it would have been better if the actual physics had been omitted. I felt that the detail detracted from the sense of realism significantly as several concepts put forward are just plain wrong using our current understanding of science. Otherwise I enjoyed it quite a bit in the end. I will be buying the second book in the series and would encourage people who have bought this novel to stick it out to the latter half and give it a chance. It sets up the second book well.

So with that, I am giving it three stars, I would probably have rounded up to three and a half stars had Amazons review system allowed it.