Profile for M. Hutchinson > Reviews

The Book of Lost Things
The Book of Lost Things
by John Connolly

5.0 out of 5 stars Wolves, 17 Sept. 2012
I absolutely loved this book - a bit of Neil Gaiman, a bit of Susanna Clarke, and a large dose of John Connolly. The narrative, despite the fantasy setting, is immensely believable - brief word sketches bringing whole characters, whole worlds, to life. The relentless pursuit of the growing band of wolves, the hunter, the jar (and what's inside), the the shock as the author of the Book of Lost Things is revealed..... I've said enough, and don't want to deprive you of the pleasure of turning each page for the first time to read on....

Never Let Me Go
Never Let Me Go
by Kazuo Ishiguro

5.0 out of 5 stars So haunting, 23 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Never Let Me Go (Paperback)
I am at a loss in trying to understand the comments of one star reviewers. From the very start this book is haunted by the prospect of what's to come. It's hinted at, but the full deadening horror of understanding comes about half way thought the book. Such a sad, compelling story - and with slightly different paths taken in the woods, a world that so plausibly could have come into being. Ishiguro's slightly sparse style is perfect for this novel. A must read, in my humble opinion.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2012 3:04 PM GMT

The Shack
The Shack
by WM. Paul Young

2.0 out of 5 stars Love it? Hate it?, 26 Jan. 2010
This review is from: The Shack (Paperback)
It's one of those books - either love the refreshing, post-modern, radical re-invention of God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Or... TERRIBLE literature, heretical, lacking a sense of awe and the divine. Its kind of somewhere in between, but leaning towards the latter. The scenes with the judge - chosing between the children - is powerful, but there is SO much in this book that is poor, poor, poor. As literature, it fails miserably. The supposedly terrible scenes at the beginning fall flat, God just isn't a momma (whatever you think), in my experience, God's relationship with us is far more complex than this book suggests.
So - yes, its an interesting perspective - but please don't think this is going to teach you anything. It will provoke thought, for sure. But this book is not a basis for a belief system.

Amused to Death
Amused to Death
Offered by positivenoise

5.0 out of 5 stars 45 reviews and only one dropped star...., 28 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Amused to Death (Audio CD)
.... well I can't help but agree with the 44 that come before me. Having been a Pink Floyd fan for 25 years (sadly my fandom only coincided with the release of The Final Cut and on...) I have come to this album very late in the day. But...... Roger Waters has produced something here that is just as good (maybe better) than anything produced by PF since Meddle (IMHO).
As other reviewers have noted, the trade marks are there - from emerging talk-over to televisions to telephones - the guitar solos and melodies are wonderful, the lyrics tell a story of war death and human decay (already in other reviews so not repeated here).
It is worth being sceptical about 5* reviews, but 44 out of 45 can't be wrong - this is Roger Waters at his very very best.

A Mouthful
A Mouthful
Offered by musicfan46

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer is here, 17 July 2009
This review is from: A Mouthful (Audio CD)
This album had a 5* review in the Sunday Times, yet its hardly made a mark on the charts.
Can't understand why - its fantastic! Bright songs, a great lead singer, lots of variety - the perfect album for driving with the roof down on a sunny day (or if you're like me, commuting on the London Underground in the early morning on a wet July morning, .... but with a smile on your face).
Highly recommended - by me, at least!

Adventure Man
Adventure Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 17 July 2009
This review is from: Adventure Man (Audio CD)
I must say I am pleasantly surprised by this album. Not being a big fan of Will Young or Brother Beyond (I'm more of a Nick Cave sort), I bought this album only on the strength of the review in the Sunday Times.
It really is a lovely album - melancholy at times, lovely meoldies, and EG has a wistful, sad but hopeful voice.
Well worth buying.

The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East
The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East
by Robert Fisk

5.0 out of 5 stars angry, 22 Sept. 2008
By gum is this man angry. I took six months to read this book last year (nad yes it was worth it). Each time I opened it I sunk slightly further into depression as I understood more of the evil man does to man in the name of an ideal, or imperial self-interest, or tribal loyalty, or religious fealty, or a sense of post-colonial national inferiority.

I would recommend that anyone who expresses half an interest in what motivates bright young men (usually) with a future before them to fly aircraft into tall buildings to read this book.

It will depress you. It will enlighten you.

Robert Fisk, of all western journalists, has the moral authority to carry off a book like this. He has lived through most of the post-World War II horrors in this region.

My only (albeit slight) criticism is the lack of photgraphs - you can access some on his web-site, but it would be illuminating to see in pictures some of the episodes his words desribe.

Please read this - it will help you understand the complexities facing our government and 'brave boys' in Afghanistan and Iraq right now. But for the grace of God...

The Final Cut: Remastered
The Final Cut: Remastered
Offered by FREETIME

5.0 out of 5 stars Time is kind..., 9 Sept. 2008
Time is kind to this record. Written in the aftermath of the Falklands war, by a band in the middle of internicene warfare, it was accused of being a Vanity Project, Indulgent, Over-blown, Melodramatic, Not-As-Good-As-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon etc etc.
However, having just repurchased it 20 years after my tape was spewed out of my binatone tape recorder, I'm finding it more and more compelling second time round. This was clearly a deeply personal record for Waters. His dad died at war, he objected to the Falklands invasion, he wanted to make a statement. And my goodness, did he. 'Southampton Dock', 'When the Tigers Break Free', 'The Hero's Return' will all bring a tear to your eye (or at least a lump to your throat).
Too often musicians have nothing to say other than I love you. This record is different - and a good reminder that even dinosaur rock stars care about the music and statements they make. Shame about Not Now John, mind - it's rubbish.

Atom Heart Mother
Atom Heart Mother
Offered by Qoolist

4.0 out of 5 stars A-moo-zing, 6 May 2008
This review is from: Atom Heart Mother (Audio CD)
I've always found this album very funny. You can't really tell if they were taking the michael or indulging in true hippy experimentalism. The title track is a meandering mess, but with a powerful and moving recurring theme. 'If' is a lovely song in its own right, and worth the price of the album in my view. Incidentally they did a live version of the title track in the early 70's which I have on a tape from a long forgotten John Peel show (from somewhere strange like the Bath & West show). It is a note perfect replica of the album version, which suggests that someone must have written down the score.
I was a big PF fan as a teenager (aren't all middle class boys) before I left them for the delights of The Smiths, The Birthday Party etc. This album, though, is worth a re-visit every now and then, if nothing else to remind myself how avant-garde I thought I was back then. And its surprisingly listenable even now. Ah, nostalgia.

Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! (+ 54 Page Booklet With Lyrics and Photos)
Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! (+ 54 Page Booklet With Lyrics and Photos)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not Great, 12 April 2008
I am a big Nick Cave fan - if you like NCATBS you tend to love them, and have enjoyed this album. While it's good, I hate to say it but it really isn't up there with their best. The side project Grinderman last year was fantastic, Tender Prey, Abattoir/Lyre, Let Love in and No More Shall We Part all in different ways show case them at their best - from their most melodic to their rawest. There are a couple of great tracks on this, and its great if the good reviews and commercial success draw more people into Nick's strange world, but we should recognize it for what it is - fun, but I'm not sure how hard they were really trying?

Page: 1 | 2