Profile for NB STEPHENSON > Reviews

Content by NB STEPHENSON

NB STEPHENSON "galaxysurfer" (Lancs, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Sumex XSIPODB Rotating In-Car Support Black for iPod / iPhone
Sumex XSIPODB Rotating In-Car Support Black for iPod / iPhone

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PIECE OF KIT!, 8 Feb. 2010
I originally wanted a product that was not iPod related...as I don't happen to own one!
However, I DO own a Creative Zen MX player.
However, (again), there seemed to be no in-car mount for this type of player, (I've even queried this with Creative and they've confirmed this).
In the end, I decided to look at ALL these types of products, regardless of which player it was designed for.
After carefully studying the photos on the advert, I worked out that this product MIGHT just be suitable for my Zen.

Hallelujah! It WAS!

Not only that, but this holder gives you the opportunity to view your player from multiple viewing angles as, apart from up and down, it also rotates, which is really neat.
I should imagine that one can pretty much view most screens that the two 'spring-loaded clamps' (with 4 rubber protective pads/grommets) will hold, and it certainly fits perfectly well in my car's air-vent slots as it was designed to do.

As a bonus, it has a place at the back of the clamps to wrap around your headphones to store them more conveniently when not using, (though I've yet to use this feature).
Also, (and a another feature I REALLY like) is that it also comes with a small stand which can be permanently mounted to a flat surface with the attached adhesive base.
Again, I haven't bothered to use this sticky pad as I don't want it to be a permanent fixture,(in-case I sell the car in future), as I found that the stand (with the clamps and mp3 player attached) will easily stand upright without using the sticky base at all (but not in a moving vehicle, obviously!).
However,I imagine this will depend on the size and weight of your particular player, though it was certainly robust enough to handle the Zen MX!
This now enables me to watch my films or listen to music on a table top in the house, (for example), and therefore leaving me 'hands-free', as with a lot of mp3 players these days, you normally seem to need a lot-more-expensive 'dock' to do this.

If I had one gripe, then it's about the rubber pads on the arms (which clamp to the player and help to protect it against scratches).
These are all too easily removed accidentally when detaching the player. I've had this holder now for just over a month, and today, one of these rubber grommets has fallen off and is now lost.
Not the end of the world, but still slightly irritating.

Overall, I'd highly recommend this product, not just for iPod owners, but for anyone that wants to use their mp3/4 players in the car without too much fuss or expense, (but try and find out if your device will fit in the holder first before you buy)!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2010 10:45 PM GMT

Hama USB Connecting Cable USB-A Plug - SanDisk Sansa Plug, 1.5m
Hama USB Connecting Cable USB-A Plug - SanDisk Sansa Plug, 1.5m

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware!, 30 Oct. 2009
I ordered this as I liked to have a spare Sansa Cable to power my Fuze whilst driving.
Delivery wasn't an issue as item turned up on time, and the price was reasonable considering it's longer than the standard Sandisk/Sansa issue.
However, on first use, my Fuze stopped functioning altogether with the WSOD, (White Screen of Death) showing immediately. No amount of solutions provided by the Sansa Forums solved the problem and, in the end, I had to take it back to the shop for a replacement.
However, it would be difficult to state categorically that it was THIS cable that did this and therefore it could all be just a coincidence.
Nonetheless, it's a HAMA product and not SanDisk's own item, therefore I recommend you think twice before purchase...as I certainly won't be trying it again, and I am therefore going to ask for a refund.

Mercury Rapids
Mercury Rapids
by Steven Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Quicksilver Read!, 18 July 2009
This review is from: Mercury Rapids (Paperback)
Good Plot? = Check!
Good Characters? = Check!
Fast Paced? =Check!
Authentic UFO related events? = Check!
Wise-cracking 'anti-hero'?= Check!
Aliens? = Check!
UFOs? (DUH, obviously!)=Check!
Funny? =Check!
Action?=Check!
Wished the book was longer? = er,Check!

Apart from a couple of printing errors, a jolly good read!
Anyone familiar with either Harry Harrison's, or Bob Sheckley's SF writings will probably enjoy this also.

All-in-all 9/10, (and that's only because I wanted it to go on)!

Digiana Audia X DGT-202 Wireless Audio FM Transmitter
Digiana Audia X DGT-202 Wireless Audio FM Transmitter

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm so impressed, I want buy the company!, 13 Aug. 2007
Ordered it the week before last and it took 4 days to arrive, (which was slightly longer than I expected). Still, after struggling with the plastic carton it arrives in for a few mins (sharp screwdriver in the car boot helped there), I installed it and had it playing through the car radio (standard FORD Mondeo Radio-cassette type) in under 2 mins!

Not only did it work, it did it brilliantly!
No discernable hiss and sound quality was excellent, (far better than my friends 'Belkin' FM transmitter in my opinion).
Since then, I have driven for over 4 hours solid, passing through many towns and cities,(some with the local radio station transmitter broadcasting onto the very same frequency I had selected, but no interference occurred from them), and it has worked perfectly. However, sometimes the name of the station showed in the FM radio 'window', but nonetheless the music played fine straight from my mp3 still.

As other reviews have stated, sometimes it's best to turn up the volume on the mp3 first and then control the in-car (or whatever) radio to suit. I've also tried it plugged in to my girlfriends mp3 player ( a cheaper 1GB player) and there is a noticeable difference in sound quality, but certainly still very acceptable (hers does not sound as clear or as loud as mine, which is a Sansa e280), so maybe any differences people hear could be down to the player, or their in-car sound system perhaps, and not the FM transmitter???
And let us not forget, it can be tuned to ANY radio in the house too...useful if you've not got a portable CD player/Tape deck available!

Either way, I'm more than pleased with the purchase...sometimes it really DOES help to read the reviews first, so thanks go to all the guys and gals who have contributed to this page!

Page: 1 | 2