Profile for Bat Ami > Reviews

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
by Ina May Gaskin

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 16 Aug 2011
I ordered this after having already read extensively about natural birth and taken a hypnobirthing course, so when it came I thought it might be a bit redundant (and it looked dauntingly long). Nevertheless, I gave it a chance. It turned out to be one of the *best* books I have read about childbirth, one of the funniest, most informative, most encouraging, most exciting and most touching. Ina May's voice really comes through as sensible and sensitive - she strikes exactly the right balance between anecdotes and "scientific" findings, and she draws from a wide array of sources, which is reassuring.
Whilst I personally needed to read as far and wide on the topic as I could (especially more "science-y" books like Sarah Buckley's "gentle birth, gentle mothering"), if I had to recommend a single book in preparation for childbirth, this would be it. Eminently readable, full of encouragement and information, it is really a great read.

Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: A Doctor's Guide to Natural Childbirth and Gentle Early Parenting Choices
by Sarah Buckley

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 11 July 2011
This book is so informative, includes lots of scientific studies to back its claims but still manages to be totally accessible. I found it extremely useful when writing my birth preferences. I especially like the way that she deals with possible birth complications (which do occur even if we are perfectly designed to birth our babies naturally) so that the baby can be treated in the gentlest way possible, even in less-than-ideal circumstances.
I recommend it without hesitation.