Profile for N. Williams > Reviews

Fitbit One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker
Fitbit One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker
Price: £62.99 - £259.00

4.0 out of 5 stars My first pedometer, 29 Nov. 2012
I've had my FitBit One a couple of days after seeing the older version tested on a popular UK TV gadget show. I have to say I'm impressed by how good this tiny device is. It's been measuring my activity extremely accurately, steps taken, flights of stairs climbed etc. I'm a fairly regular gym user, so up until now I've only really been using the figures on exercise bikes/cross trainers etc to get an idea of the distance and calories burned. Having this device, I'm now able to see just how much walking I do on a daily basis, going to the train station, walking the underground stations or just going to the shops.

The Dashboard on the website and mobile apps give you daily targets, 5,000/10,1000 steps, stairs climbed etc, and I find this is a motivator to get out and walk more, take the stairs rather than the lift etc. So I would definitely recommend this to people who perhaps need that extra push to get out and exercise. Although it comes with a belt clip, mine tucks into my jeans pocket and it's been working fine there.

Now for some negative points. If you have an Android phone, it's not going to work (yet). It needs Bluetooth 4.0, and although my Galaxy Nexus has this, it's not supported. However the Bluetooth dongle supplied works very well, it syncs my FitBit as soon as I enter the room. When it is sync'd, the mobile app can read your account details and show you the activity graphs, targets etc, so it's not all bad.

I did try logging food, but as with many US products, this is very US centric. So you're not going to find many UK foodstuffs in their database. You can enter details manually, although when I tried this with my breakfast cereal, it asks for grams of fat per portion, and that's not on the Info box.

** Update ** I've since found that you can link your FitBit account to 3rd party apps like My Fitness Pal. This excellent app lets you log your food intake with UK foodstuffs, there's even a barcode scanner to quickly get the item you want to add.

Despite the minor niggles, I would recommend the product.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2013 2:39 PM BST

The Best Of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
The Best Of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic British Blues Album, 27 April 2009
I first heard of Peter Green after buying Gary Moore's Blues for Greeny album although I was already a big fan of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album. This is a fantastic collection of early blues tracks with some absolute classics, having an extended version of Need Your Love So Bad is worth the purchase price alone.