Profile for David W. Roberts > Reviews

Content by David W. Roberts

David W. Roberts (Merseyside, UK)

I Let You Go
I Let You Go

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 May 2015
This review is from: I Let You Go (Kindle Edition)
Unputdownable, with some clever and unexpected twists.

Gwynne's Latin: The Ultimate Introduction to Latin Including the Latin in Everyday English

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly different, 3 May 2014
A welcome return to the "old fashioned" way of language learning - declension tables and conjugation tables etc. The first few chapters are more about the authors views on education, very well written and enjoyable to read: even though I don't agree with a lot of what he says, it is all very thought provoking. Would it really be better if schools were to concentrate on Latin and Greek, and leave the sciences to be studied by those who are interested in their spare time? I would argue that this perspective was one of the main reasons why Britain lost the lead in technology that it had gained in the industrial revolution.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2014 7:46 PM BST

Fright (Hard Case Crime (Mass Market Paperback))
Fright (Hard Case Crime (Mass Market Paperback))
by Cornell Woolrich
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars One of his best, 10 Sept. 2007
I've been waiting for this to be reprinted for ages. A few years ago I bought a copy of it in Italian (Woolrich aficionados note, quite a lot of his stuff is available in Italian and Spanish). It took me over a month to read, and my at the end of it not only was my Italian much improved but I knew I'd read a classic. A brilliant study of guilt - perhaps comparable with Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment. The Italian title is Vortice di Paura (Vortex of Fear), and to my mind that's a much better title. The "hero" starts off as a fairly ordinary sort of guy, but the way he deals with one problem creates another, the way he deals with that creates another, he descends more and more into paranoia and his actions become more and more desperate. You can empathise with him and despise him at the same time - the balance between the two changes as you get further into the book.