Profile for Holmsey from Yorkshire > Reviews

Content by Holmsey from Y...

Holmsey from Yorkshire "holmsey2" (uk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Wahl Chrome Pro Mains Hair Clipper Set & Instructional DVD 79524-800
Wahl Chrome Pro Mains Hair Clipper Set & Instructional DVD 79524-800

5.0 out of 5 stars Saves me a fortune cutting my son's hair, 12 Jan. 2011
I bought this to cut my three year old's hair. I believe a boy's hair should be quite short and it was costing me £5.50 each time I took my lad to the hairdresser. Also because he was fidgeting around and getting bored, the cut was not the best.

So I thought I would try this- a little apprehensive I admit, but I am glad I did.

As others have reported, it comes with a wealth of accessories- the 'combs' you attach to the blade for the grade of cut, a pointless DVD, an actual comb and some pretty good hairdressing scissors. There is also a plastic cape.

Cutting the hair is actually very easy and it makes a very neat and smart job.

It is basically as simple as putting on the desired comb length by clicking it over the blade (I find number 4 gives a smart short haircut without it being too short) and then switching on and running it all over the hair. You cannot go wrong and cut more out than intended. The comb prevents this. All you have to do is make sure you run it over against the hair growth direction until all the hair is cut down to the preset length. If you miss a bit, just go over it again.

Trust me I am no Vidal Sasoon, but everyone says it looks smart when I have finished. Any idiot could do it- no skill required whatsoever.

As well as the standard comb attachments, there are some graduated ones for cutting in above the ears, but I once tried using one of them and I could tell it was going to go wrong so quickly stopped. I find with a grade 4, all that is required is a little trim above the ears and the back of the neck with the scissors to cut off any longer strands and straighten up.

When you finish use the little brush to brush the hair off the clipper and a few drops of oil (both also included)to ensure is is A Okay to go the next time you get it out.

So, in summary if it sounds like you or your loved ones would like a grade 5 downward cut, want to save money (paid for itself in 3 cuts), can't be bothered going to the hairdressers and want to save time, get one of these.

I can also attest that you can do the same job on yourself, no problems- all you need is a facing mirror and a handheld mirror to make sure you have not missed any bits at the back.

The clippers seem well made, and are quite heavy and substantial. It has not pulled the hair when I have been cutting and I did not have to adjust the blades.

Worlds Apart Amazing Spider-Man Ready Bed
Worlds Apart Amazing Spider-Man Ready Bed

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the little ones, 12 Jan. 2011
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
These ready beds are great for when you visit friends, stay one or two nights in a hotel, or your kids have friends over for a 'Sleepover'.

If you have not seen them before, they are basically a blow up bed with a cover/ built in blanket and pillow.

Whilst personally I would not like to spend a night on one, the kids never complain.

We have also used them when our kids have been ill with sickness and we have had to have them in our room.

The bed seems robust and in a year and a half of sporadic use, has not burst on us yet.

The valve is clever as it has a little hinged door inside it which empties all the air almost immediately when you push it open to let the bed down.

The bed comes with a little carrying sack and a foot pump. The foot pumps are pretty useless, and I take and use one of those small inflater fan machines- they only cost a few quid and blow it up in seconds (topped up with a few puffs from good old fashioned lungs). Search Amazon for the Campingaz quickpump or Gelert pump to pick one of those up- well worth it. The pump then fits in the storage bag.

MAX Team Floor Bike Pump black
MAX Team Floor Bike Pump black

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a good pump, 12 Jan. 2011
Nice to look at, seems well built.

Most importantly the gauge appears accurate- very important if you have a road bike and have to pump up the tyres to 110psi.

It is a bit of a struggle to get to the very high pressures, but it does it.

One problem I had was I thought the connector valve was broken- it was not. It is reversible to swap between presta and standard schroeder valves. I had swapped it around for my kids bikes. Be warned- if you do not then push the piece of rubber back in far enough the connector may not lock properly. Eventually realised and easily rectified.

Cateye Strada Wireless - White
Cateye Strada Wireless - White

5.0 out of 5 stars You need a computer and this is one of the best, 12 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Cateye Strada Wireless (Sports)
Bought this for my Planet X road bike, and have clocked up 1200 miles (according to the computer) since I got it this year so I now feel well qualified to comment on this.

First, Cateye products are generally superb. This is no exception.

The people looking at this will fall into two camps- those who are after a replacement computer and those thinking- do I really need this? As to the second camp, the answer is a definitive yes. This is not a gimmick - if you intend to get semi serious about getting fit and enjoying your bike, you need to know how far you are going, the time taken and your average speed. In other words you need a cycle computer.

Now for both camps- this is a superb cycle computer and in fact is so popular it has become very common but for good reason. It is rock solid, and extremely accurate.

There are three parts to the computer. The first is a little magnet which attaches to the spokes of the wheel by means of a small hand turned screw. It fits both standard and flat spokes (I have it currently on my Fulcrum Racing 3 wheels).

You then have a sensor which is approximately 2 inches by 2 inches in size. This fits to the REAR of your fork. It has a rubber side which you place against your fork at the same height as the magnet on the spokes, so that when the wheel goes around the magnet passes by the sensor and records a revolution in the wheel.The sensor is affixed by means of some cable ties. If there is a fault, it is that you only get two cable ties (?- they cost nothing!). Luckily if you need more, you can get them from Amazon (you need 2.5mm width by 200mm long standard cable ties).

Next is the computer bit. This has a bracket which on a road bike would normally be affixed to the stem, although it turns 90 degrees so it can be fixed to the handle bar where necessary or on a bike without a long stem.

The computer clicks into the bracket and that is it- it is up and running. You will need to input your wheel size (chart in instructions) if you do not have a standard road bike wheel.

The computer has no buttons on the front and works by depressing the entire computer to switch between modes.

It shows various combinations of trip, speed, total mileage, top speed on last trip and time since set off and current time. It will also show average speed, and usefully at all times has a little arrow pointing up or down indicating whether you are travelling faster or slower than your average- gives you a kick up the backside if you are taking it too easy!

When you stop, i.e. at traffic lights, the time of that current trip stops.

So unless you want candence ( speed pedals are turning) this basically has everything you need in a reliable and highly rated package. A few people I know have one of these and no one has a bad word to say about them so you cannot go wrong.

Nerf- N-Strike Maverick
Nerf- N-Strike Maverick
Offered by Fayre Trade Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars My 3 year old and 6 year old love a Nerf battle, 11 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Nerf- N-Strike Maverick (Toy)
Bought two of these for Christmas as stocking fillers for my young children. Oh, Ok they were really for me.

Seriously though, my kids love them. I am anti real gun myself but don't worry about some bleeding heart liberal telling you kids should not have these guns. These are the modern equivalent of the 'spud gun' but more fun and less messy- an obvious toy that in no way represents a real weapon. They are immense fun and if your kids have a bit of gumption it is great to run around the house firing the soft foam darts at each other and it is totally harmless. It is like 'laser tag' with foam really.

The guns are fine for indoor use.

When we first got them I was a little shocked at just how quickly the darts come out and my wife's initial reaction was not one of happiness. Fortunately, she quickly came around. It looks like the darts can hurt you but they do not harm whatsoever- I have had one in the eye at close range. They are very cleverly designed to have lots of velocity but no mass.

What you do is press a button and the barrel pops out. You then squash a dart into each chamber- six in total. Then you close the barrel, pull back a cocking bit on the top and shoot. You need to pull back the bit on the top to 'reload' the air before firing each dart, but I can shoot them out very quickly!

Sometimes the darts get stuck- normally if not pushed in the chambers far enough when loading.

The spring is quite strong. My six year old daughter can do it. My three year old large and robust boy can just about manage it, but he enjoys being on his sister's 'team', recovering the darts and being shot in the back of the head as I chase after him.

The toy is very strong and well made- surviving being dropped down the stairs etc.

Please note this only works properly with the whistler darts- you will need an extra pack as the six that come with each gun are totally inadequate for any serious 'battles'. Don't buy any other types of dart for it as they will get stuck all the time.

Overall, highly recommended for young and old children alike.

Mad Men - Season 4 [DVD]
Mad Men - Season 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jon Hamm

5.0 out of 5 stars It is another 5 stars in this series for me, 11 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 4 [DVD] (DVD)
**** Very slight spoiler alert*****

I think there are only a few definitive TV shows that absolutely must be watched. Top of my list is and possibly always will be, is the Sopranos. The Wire is another. Dexter creeps in there. Curb Your Enthusiasm.... you get the idea.

Mad Men is my number two. It moved up from number four on my list to number two after this season.

Being a business professional myself, I found this season even better than the last because whilst they are all about the business of advertising, this season deals with what can happen in professional service industries when those who service clients break away to form their own businesses and rely upon the clients they had at their old place to follow them.

Without giving too much away (you know this if you watched season 3 anyway), Sterling, Cooper and Draper along with a lot of others leave Sterling Cooper at the end of season 3 after it is taken over by Mccann. Incidentally- and this is one of the joys about this series- they use real companies both when talking about competing advertising agencies and with the products/ companies they have as clients, so it feels like you are watching some historical business piece rather than a total work of fiction. I always wonder how they get permission, especially when they are being less than glowing about some of their rivals. The Conrad Hilton episodes surely could not have been done if he was still alive!

This season follows the trials and tribulations of the new fledgling business, including showing the personal financial risk those involved are exposed to when things do not go entirely to plan. Even though it is set in the late 60s, with the changing fashion and attitudes as the decade ends and heads towards the 70's it is very realistic and relevant even by today's standards on the business side of things.

It also continues to follow the personal lives of all the main cast members, including of course Donald Draper and there is quite a twist regarding what he ends up doing on a relationship level.

Overall, whilst some have said they thought this season lost something by being moved out of the old office, I thought it gained a lot and was by far the best of the seasons and I simply cannot wait until season 5 to see where this goes.

Who knows, one day it may even supplant The Sopranos at number one on my list. Maybe.....

SunnCamp Junior ReadyBed - Funky Flowers
SunnCamp Junior ReadyBed - Funky Flowers

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for a little girl, 9 Jan. 2011

The colours on this are nice for a girl with a sort of shimmery fabric. The bed itself is quite a bit larger than those 'First ready Bed' models.

The Defamation Of Strickland Banks
The Defamation Of Strickland Banks

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album of 2010, 9 Jan. 2011
I bought this not really knowing what to expect. I tend to really only listen to music on my Ipod in the gym and have not listened to much else since I bought this six weeks ago.

It is a concept album, where Plan B tells the fictional story of Strickland Banks, a soul singer who is wrongly imprisoned for a crime- I think it must be murder because he describes a fella getting hurt, but the crime is never explicitly referred to.

The album is basically Northern Soul type music with some rap and ballad thrown in.

It is without doubt absolutely phenomenal. It is true to say that there is not a bad track on the album.

It opens with the up tempo 'Love Goes Down' and 'Writings on the Wall'. The highlight for me though is 'Stay Too Long' which basically is about how he stays too long at parties and then gets into his spots of bother. It is such a driving tune, that then hits you with some short spells of aggressive rap. This may not be a great sounding description, but trust me, it works. It did well in the charts in its sanitised version but this is better.

'She Said', the fourth song on the album was the other big hit in the charts.

I particularly like a track called 'The Recluse' which tells the story of when 'Strickland Banks' was imprisoned and was too frightened to come out of his cell. This track in particular makes amazing use of strings.

If there is a fault with the album it is that it could have done to have been longer to properly explain the story, but apparently there is a reason for this.

Plan B - real name Ben Drew- originally started his published music career with a hard rap album called 'Who Needs Actions When You Have Got Words'. This current album was therefore a total change in direction for him. He had wanted to release this album as a two parter, with the second part returning to his rapping roots and filling out the story. However, it is widely reported that his record company would not release the rap part of the album as they think it is not commercially viable. It is therefore being released by his own label; it is hoped this year.

Some people have ridiculously suggested Plan B has somehow 'sold out' with this album. What a load of tosh. The man has written all of these tracks and his voice is an absolute match for this style of music. Many so called music stars would kill for this talent. The Guardian reported he had said this was the best soul album he could make, so he probably would not do another but maybe move onto punk. I'll be interested to hear that, but Plan B- please at some stage do another soul album, it would be a tragic waste for such a talent never to visit this genre again!

Weber One Touch Original black 57cm 1341004
Weber One Touch Original black 57cm 1341004
Offered by Koester GERMANY

5.0 out of 5 stars An American classic, 8 Jan. 2011
This is the updated name (with a few minor improvements) for what was previously known as the One Touch Silver, so it is worthwhile posting my Silver review for this item also as I hope it helps people in selecting this great barbecue:

Look at reviews on Amazon.com and you will see that people have had these for 20 years and they are still going strong.
So what makes it a classic? First, it was the first of its kind in its design. The food should be cooked with the lid on. This allows even cooking of the food and not the burnt outside/uncooked inside phenomena beloved of barbecues.
Most items should not actually be cooked over the coals, but instead "indirectly". This is really simple- pile the coals on one side, the food on the other, and put the lid on. Try beer can chicken. Get a small chicken or two, rub in salad oil dressing, get a small beer can, drink half, then shove it (with the remaining beer) up the chicken's jacksi. Put it on indirect heat for 2 hours covered- basting in a mixture of white wine vinegar and soy sauce every 30 mins or so. It comes out so succulent it is unbelieveable. Try that on your £500 gas barbecue!
Second reason- it is a classic in its build quality. It is designed to last years, left outside, uncovered. It is covered in a ceramic paint, and takes some hammer. I dropped the lid on stone flags when it was brand new, but I don't worry about a bit of scuffing/ chipping on it- it will get plenty more abuse over the years. You will see other "kettle" barbecues (ripped off from the original design of this); don't even bother.
The food tastes so much better on this than a gas barbecue- no drying out of the food, and a smoky taste.
So how does the product work? Well it is easily assembled (just a hammer needed) in about half an hour. There is a grate near the bottom of the kettle where the coals are put, then a cooking grill that rests further up the bottom half. The "one touch" feature is three metal "leafs" that sit in the very bottom of the kettle. These leafs can be rotated with a handle on the outside, and cover some vents which should be open when cooking. As the ash develops from the coals on the grate, it drops down into the bottom of the kettle- some of it will fall out of the holes onto the circular silver tray you can see on the photo between the tripod legs. However, when you have finished your cooking and the coals have cooled, you can then rotate the silver leafs, and they will gradually push all of the ash in the bottom out onto the silver tray, which is then removed and poured into a bin.
Fat also runs out of the bottom of the barbecue onto the silver tray.
There is also a metal vent on the top of the barbecue which can be opened and closed to increase/ decrease the heat- the more the vents are open, the more air gets in and the hotter it gets.
Don't bother cleaning it (apart from shifting the ash) after barbecuing. It used to take me forever to clear my gas barbecue. Here, all you do next time you heat it up is rub the cooking grill with a wire brush and all muck comes off it. Weber recommend you wash the kettle out once a year- that is it!
There is one reason many of the professional barbecuer's use this - search for example for the barbecue pit boys who show you how to barbecue properly- it is because it is the best.
Also get a Weber fire starter chimney. This essential piece of equipment is filled with your coals/ charcoal, put four pieces of scrunched up newspaper underneath, and light it.
Comment Comments (16) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2014 4:01 PM BST

HP Deskjet F4580 All-in-One Printer
HP Deskjet F4580 All-in-One Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars Hate it, 8 Jan. 2011
ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I have had a few months now with this so fee qualified now to review it.

I upgraded from a 7 year old Deskjet and the difference is outstanding.I was told years ago by an IT man to stick with HP printers due to their excellent reliability and he was correct.

First, I set it up wirelessly. I was prepared for a nightmare, but the HP software is amazing and set it all up no problem whatsoever.

I then wanted to set my laptop up to also use it wirelessly. This is where it got a little trickier- the instructions could be clearer. In the end I also installed the HP software on my laptop and went through the set up procedure again. It works fine, although I am still not entirely sure whether I did the right thing as on my PC the printer is now qualified by a number (2) after its name. Anyway, it works so no worries.

After set up, I have printed all sorts of things in good quality. There is no noticeable delay printing wirelessly compare to on a cable. The printer runs quiet and the print quality is good.

I have also found the scanner and software that powers it to be extremely good and very intuitive, easy to use and the scans are great quality. Please note that if you have it set up wirelessly, it will not scan by pressing the scan button on the front of the printer. It will however scan wirelessly- open up the HP Solution Centre software installed on your PC when you set up the printer, and select "scan" and it all works fine. In fact better than fine, t creates pdf's of multi page documents in one pdf so easily it is really great. Last scanner I had was a 'Black Widow'- how things have moved on.

My wife also thinks it is really good. She is not a technical person, so that is really a litmus test on something like this- if she is impressed it must be good.

Highly recommended and a bargain price. I know it is the razor blade business model and they make their money from the inks but you can buy re-manufactured/ recycled cartridges at reasonable prices you know!

EDIT- The above was my original review- how wrong can you be. After 6 months of use, the software is terrible, constantly badgering you that the cartridges are not genuine, the cartridges cost a fortune and run out very quickly, and it is very bad to set up (had to reinstall again for another laptop, and whilst it worked seamlessly the first time, this time I was not so lucky).

I would suggest avoid, and instead now buy Epson. buy the SX235W which has individual cartridges EACH with more ink in than a single colour HP cartridge and you can get a whole set including black for around a tenner (compatible).

Unfortunately HP has lost it as they always used to make the best printers, but just got plain greedy with the inks etc.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2011 4:26 PM BST