Profile for Holmsey from Yorkshire > Reviews

Content by Holmsey from Y...

Holmsey from Yorkshire "holmsey2" (uk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Frostfire 5014 Dual-Function Home Security Bar
Frostfire 5014 Dual-Function Home Security Bar
Offered by Innovationstore

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for patio doors, 24 May 2011
Got two of these for my sliding patio doors after someone on street had their house broken into by burglars forcing sliding patio door (easiest and most common way to get into a house).

Could have used a bit of wood in the gap in the door, but these are a lot neater and I have them installed right at the top of the door and they kind of blend in.

Basically you slide it out to the required length, then insert a pin through the holes to hold it in position and wedge it in the door (the end of the sliding door to the frame). The holes are spaced at about 2cm intervals so you can adjust it to just the correct size- unless your door is very narrow- see below. This makes it virtually impossible to force the door open or slide it until the device is removed.

The device is sturdy silver painted metal. It also comes with an attachment which means you can secure a normal inwards opening door.

One problem I found was that the holes in the device, which allow it to be secured open at varying lengths, do not come far enough down it. They should come right to the bottom, but they stop about three quarters of the way down. One of my patio doors is fairly narrow. As luck would have it there is one solitary hole much further down after the others stop which just happened to match the width of my small patio door- otherwise I would not have been able to use it on the smaller door. So really they should make it with the holes all the way down to make it fully adjustable for smaller doors.

Byron - CS11D Dummy CCTV Camera Unit
Byron - CS11D Dummy CCTV Camera Unit

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks very realistic, 24 May 2011
I fitted this outside my garage after my car was broken into.

It does look extremely realistic. It is very solid metal and the 'lens' behind the smoked glass looks pretty real.

I was in two minds as to whether to install a battery and have the LED flash. On the one hand it makes it more visible at night, but on the other- how many real CCTV cameras have a flashing light on them?

In the end I decided to put a battery in. However, I had to have the casing off when screwing it to the wall, and then I noticed the LED was not working. I had caught the incredibly flimsy wire from LED to battery housing. I could not be bothered soldiering it back on- mind made up for me- no LED.

Fancy a couple more for other aspects of the house. Highly recommended but marked down a star for very flimsy wire.

Tangled (Blu-ray + DVD) [2010]
Tangled (Blu-ray + DVD) [2010]
Dvd ~ Mandy Moore
Offered by FILMNIGHT

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best children's films ever- and most beautiful, 24 May 2011
I had been to see this at the cinema with my children, having got free Sky preview tickets. I have to say I found it wonderful and it almost brought a tear to my eye.

I therefore pre ordered it on Blu ray and received it 5 days before general release (well done Amazon).

Only watched the blu ray but it does not disappoint. This really is one wonderful looking film, all the better on blu. The menus etc are some of the best yet- my kids love it.

This is one of the most expensive films ever made (believe it or not it was approaching Avatar in cost) and the combination of the newer digital animation and wonderful drawing is a delight.

The story is great, as are the songs. It is our favourite family animation film and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

7dayshop Intelligent and Super Fast AA and AAA Battery Charger with LCD Display - 808LCD - Charge via Car, Worldwide Mains and USB

5.0 out of 5 stars Great charger, 28 April 2011
This is really a nice little charger.

Very small- smaller than it looks on the photos.

Very simple- put the batteries in and switch on. An LCD screen shows when they are charged.

Press 'refresh' to discharge and then re charge automatically. Notable life improvement of the battery after using this feature for the first time compared to just recharging the batteries. You only have to use this now and again.

Comes with standard mains adaptor, USB power lead and car adaptor. Note it charges slower on the USB BUT this is much better for your batteries so I recommend you use this method unless time is of the essence.

Works great with my Sanyo Eneloops.

Turtle Beach Wireless Headset Ear Force X41 (Xbox 360)
Turtle Beach Wireless Headset Ear Force X41 (Xbox 360)

4.0 out of 5 stars Would be 4.5 if there was an option for half a point, 5 April 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I knocked these down to 4.5 due to the high RRRP (although they are highly discounted now and a bargain) and a few very minor issues.

-----Basics----
First, exactly what do they do? Well, as you would expect they are a set of headphones that connect to your Xbox. They are wireless and integrate the chat feature of Xbox live into the headphones. However, a cable has to be connected from the headphones to the controller to utilise the chat. Note- this is because Microsoft do not allow anyone else to utilise their propriety Xbox chat transmission hardware.

They have surround sound. This is supposedly Dolby 7.1. However, these headphones only have one speaker in each ear. What they do, is by some clever electronic trickery, they trick your ears into believing the sounds are coming from different directions. It may take a few hours use for your ears (or more specifically your brain) to interpret the direction of the signals, but it definitely works very well.

So, when you are playing on your Xbox games, or watching a film (see below), then the sound appears to come from all around you.

----Setup----

These headphones connect via an optical cable which connects to their transmitter box. This is a very thin cable that carries sound pulses by light. If you have an older Xbox connected via component (red, blue, yellow leads) then chances are the optical output is on the back of this lead. Xbox slim has one built in. If you are using older Xbox by HDMI, you may need an extra lead.

The headphones will connect to anything that has an optical out. This includes a Sky box for surround movies etc.

Some TV's have optical out (my Panasonic does) but beware- most do not pass a Dolby 7.1 signal out (I think some Sonys do) so you would lose a lot of the impact utilising the TVs optical out (which would be neater, but it is not the headphone's shortcoming but the TV).

This means that if you want to connect to a Sky box and Xbox (or anything else) you either need to swap the cable, or you can get a cheap optical splitter and a couple of extra leads from Amazon.

The headphone transmitter box (which is about 6 inches by 10 inches) also connects via component (red and white standard jacks), but again you lose the Dolby 7.1.

The transmitter box is powered by a 5v USB. This can plug into the Xbox USB port (if you are using for Sky as well, no problem as the Xbox continues to power its USB even when swiched off) or the better option if you have one would be a TV USB port which would power it down when your TV is off. If you are out of USB ports, then you can buy a USB adaptor plug for a few pounds and plug it directly into the mains.

----Performance-----

I found the headphones to be excellent performers. Some people have reported popping etc, but this is usually caused by interference. Wireless N networks (e.g. the one built into the Xbox slim) can affect it. I have no interference, but I did have to move the transmitter slightly. Before then, when I moved my head it would occasionally cut out.

The sound is awesome, particularly on the Call Of Duty FPS type games although all games benefit. I was on Assassins Creed Brotherhood yesterday and the sound is amazing. It is so good I always play Xbox with these now.

Still on first set of batteries after about 10 hours use. It takes 2 AAA. I have ordered a set of Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables which hold their charge- great price on Amazon for when the batteries that came with it run out.

Great on Sky Movies- when I got these my wife was "How much?" but she now really appreciates the silence and loves it.

Flashing LED on side when they are switched on. Bass boost button (strangely named 'effects') which really needs to be on, otherwise the sound lacks impact. There is also a headphone jack on the transmitter box so another person can plug in any set of headphones and listen (good I suppose if you have two kids).

----Overall----

Brilliant- not worth MRRP (£140), but at a good price, amazing, as long as you do not have any interference issues and get them at a good discount on MRRP. A great purchase.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2011 1:49 PM BST

Boy Racer
Boy Racer
by Mark Cavendish

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting if you are a cyclist, but also a good read if not., 13 Mar 2011
This review is from: Boy Racer (Paperback)
Having an interest in cycling having taken it up a couple of years ago, but knowing nothing about professional racing, I found this book extremely interesting. It is also very well written (not surprisingly ghosted by a professional cycling journalist) and difficult to put it down.

For me the book worked on two levels. First, it deals well with the paradox that appears to be Mark Cavendish himself- breathtaking arrogant at times, contrite at others. He is never afraid to speak his mind judging by this book. He does not appear to be the most likeable person in the world, but this type of arrogance, self belief and mental attitude is probably a large part of what it takes to achieve at these levels in the incredibly hard world of professional cycling, where a 3 hour 80 mile ride is a 'day off'.

At least this book is honest enough to portray what he is like, rather than attempting to paint an airbrushed 'Mr Niceguy' image.

This version of the book which includes an Epilogue of his 2009 Tour De France six stage triumph (an amazing achievement). In the main section of the book he talks about how Lance Armstrong told him to save his money, and he proudly declares that he would never waste money on flash cars like many of the successful pro tourers do. However, in the Epilogue section, in 2009, he declares he is driving around in an Audi R8! Perhaps he earns so much money now that a 90k car (minimum) is no longer considered flash?!Or perhaps someone gave it to him? Either way, good luck to him.

The second way in which this book works is on the technical side of things and it gives you an understanding of what pro cycling is all about and gives you an appreciation for it. It does this amazingly well and as stated, I knew nothing about pro cycling, have never watched it on TV, but now I feel I have a real understanding of it and will be making an effort to watch it. For example, before I read this I did not know really how the team helps a sprinter win certain races, and 'Cav' certainly gets across that his success is a team effort which it most certainly is.

So all in all a superb book about a brilliant sportsman and an incredibly tough sport.

127 Hours: Between a Rock and a Hard Place
127 Hours: Between a Rock and a Hard Place
by Aron Ralston

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 13 Mar 2011
I suppose it is the subject matter- there is only so much one can write about being trapped in a slot canyon with your arm wedged under a large boulder- and we know it ends with him amputating his own arm.

I bought this book with some anticipation that it would be an exciting read, but after the entrapment, I found it tedious and boring. In fact, I eventually gave up on it.

It is written in a rather odd style. Many of the chapters are back story, of adventures Aron says he had. The most interesting one was when he went up a mountain and was rather menacingly 'stalked' by a bear. In fact, I found this more interesting than the main story itself.

When he gets his arm trapped, we then have chapters devoted to his childhood etc.

I am sorry, but it simply did not work for me and I feel this book could have been written in a much more exciting manner, albeit it would probably have been only a third of the size- and therein lies the problem, the thing you are buying this book to read about simply does not make a full non fiction book in itself.

JML Star Chef Deluxe
JML Star Chef Deluxe

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best Kitchen Gadget, 5 Mar 2011
I just bought one of these after seeing it when shopping for a replacement rice cooker. I got a good deal, which made it not much more expensive than a stand alone decent rice cooker, so after researching it and seeing the excellent reviews I decided to invest a little extra in this.

It is not easy to find detail on this and it is a little complicated to use, so here goes:

1) It is a cooker with numerous built in settings. It cooks rice, can steam, can fry (although when you fry in it you need to stay with it, with the lid up), it has an 'oven' setting,it is a slow cooker and it will reheat and a few others including baking.

2) The instructions that come with it are terrible so be warned.

3) Basically,you can cook anything in it. You can only cook one type of way at a time, the exception being if you cook rice, you can also steam vegetables at the same time.

4) It looks a bit like a bread maker with a lid on. Inside, there is a very non stick pot (2.5 litres I believe) which itself sits in a ceramic chamber. When it is switched on, the ceramic heats up and heats the pot up. It therefore results in even heat distribution. Because the lid seals, there is a valve which lets out a controlled amount of moisture on top. I think this is the trick of this gadget, because it keeps food very moist. There is also a steamer basket which sits inside the non stick pot, leaving room underneath for water and/ or rice.

5) When you switch it on, you need to set the in built clock. The clock keeps going even when unplugged, so it must have a battery in.

6) When you want to cook something, you press 'Menu'. This brings up the various cooking options. It is not always clear what is what. For example, some are obvious like 'Fry'. If you fry on this it needs to have its lid up and it is just like a frying pan. There is bake/ Oven. This one makes it heat up like an oven and is very versatile. There is Meat, Fish and Vegetable settings, each of those has a sub setting of 'steam' or 'fry' that you need to set. There is a slow cook option, but rather than call it slow cook, it is called 'stew'. There are a few others.

7) So you put your food in, press the menu, select the program but that is not all. You then, unless you select the default program time, must alter the time by pressing up and down arrows. It really is trial and error as to how long you should cook things although I have found with the slow cook 'stew' option, things cannot be overcooked.

8) Then, if you want the meal to be ready for a certain time, then you press another button, and set it to the time you want the meal to be ready. If you are not in when it is ready it does not matter as it will automatically keep the food warm for 24 hours!

9) So this is what I have done so far. I got it yesterday and we were having some Asda chicken breast things that come raw but in a sauce and you put them in the oven. I had complained to my wife regularly that these were sometimes a bit tough so I thought I would kick off the Star Chef. I put them in and set it to 'Bake/ Oven' for an hour and a half (not realising this was not a slow cook option) and they started to cook at a phenomenal rate- much quicker than in the oven. So after 15 mins I thought I would switch it to 'Stew' working out myself (does not say anywhere) that this is the slow cook option. I left it on this for an hour and a half. Well, all I can say is no more tough chicken here- it melted in the mouth. I am now going to get some braising steak and make a red wine sauce and slow cook it for 3 hours plus- I bet it melts in the mouth.

10) I then thought I would try a cooked breakfast for the morning. So after washing the Star Chef bowl, I loaded it with 3 sausages, 2 rashes of bacon and some plum tomatoes. I set it to be ready at 7.20am for 35 mins on 'oven'. I came down at 7.30 (it was keeping it warm) and found it all cooked. Now, it had been overdone a bit, and the tomatoes had burnt a bit (next time I think I will leave them out and put them in the microwave for a minute instead, perhaps substituting some mushrooms)but even so, the sausage in particular (although not browned all over had they had been baked) was incredibly succulent. Next time I will try the bacon and sausage for 25 mins instead though.

I have not tried the rice setting yet, but I understand from other reviews that the rice comes out great on the standard setting/ times which I am sure it will do.

So in summary, this is no magic press one button and it will do everything gadget (except for things such as rice) but it is extremely useful and the food tastes great. It is particularly useful if you want meals preparing for a certain time, and I have no doubt it slow cooks stews etc to perfection. There is a half decent recipe book included. However, when you get a little more adventurous, cooking meats etc you will have to use common sense. I am informed rice comes out great using the standard setting.

I only wish they had these when I was a student!
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2014 8:09 PM BST

Belkin Neoprene Sleeve for Upto 10.2 inch Netbooks - Chocolate/Tourmaline
Belkin Neoprene Sleeve for Upto 10.2 inch Netbooks - Chocolate/Tourmaline
Offered by Desire IT

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described, 26 Jan 2011
Please note the people who say this is not large enough- this is for a NETBOOK, not a laptop. NETBOOKS generally have a 10 inch screen.It will not fit a laptop or not even a notebook (which is a laptop I think).

I bought this for my 10 inch Netbook. It fits very well- slim fit. It is made from the same type of material as wetsuits, so is soft, but offers impact protection due to the spongy nature of the material.

There is enough room in the case, due to its stretchy nature, that it will also fit in my mini laser mouse. There is not enough room for the power lead.

Colours are nice.

Overall, if you want a sleeve type protection, tight fitting, perhaps because you carry your netbook in a briefcase or bag, then this is ideal.

Logitech Harmony 515 Universal Advanced Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 515 Universal Advanced Remote Control

5.0 out of 5 stars Would not be without it, 15 Jan 2011
Bought one of these nearly a year ago now so can give a review after plenty of use:

1) The remote controls five devices. It uses a mixture of physical buttons and an illuminated screen (which displays various functions) to control the device.

2) The remote is nicely designed, very slim towards the front. The buttons are solid.

3) It has a backlight which is illuminated when you press a button, or you can press a 'glow' button.

4) It has very good battery life. I had to change the batteries after about 7 months. It actually has a movement sensor in it which switches off the display and switches it back on again when you pick it up.

5) On the front (where the infra red transmitter is) there is a mini USB socket. You need to connect this to your pc via the supplied USB cable and install the software.

6) You then type in your devices into the software- it found all mine.

7) You then tell it what to do for each device- for example, when I use it to switch on my Sky, it switches on the Sky, switches the TV on, switches the TV to HDMI 3 (where my Sky is connected) and all other devices are off.

8) The beauty of this is that once you get it set up, all you have to do is press the 'Activities' button on the top and then select the 'activity' that you have set up in the window. So, for example, to watch Sky all I do is press 'Activity' and 'Watch set top box' and everything is done as I highlighted in point 7.

9) Similarly when you press the power off button it will then power off all the items that were switched on because of that activity.

10) Also, when you switch from one activity to another it also powers off what was used on the activity that is no longer required. For example, when going from watching Sky, I want to then watch a blu ray. All I do is press 'Activities' button, then select 'Watch Blu Ray'. It powers off the sky box, powers on the blu ray player and switches the TV over to the correct input.

11) It also powers my Xbox- good for when watching Sky Player on it as don't have to get the Xbox controller.

12) It sounds a little complicated but once set up it is very easy- even my mother can do it. As stated once set up all you have to do is press the activities and select what you want, and then power off when you have finished.

13) It is fairly straightforward to set up, but this is the most complicated aspect of the controller. As stated, it is all done on the PC. It was a little complicated. Give yourself around 1 hour to set it up. If you are used to using a PC and standard type of software such as printing off your photos, should not prove to be a problem. However, if you do not have a PC/ Mac nor have a clue how to do basic things on the PC, this is not for you.

The litmus test is if it broke would I buy another? Most definitely, albeit I would probably next time buy an even higher spec version that controls even more than the 5 devices.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2011 12:21 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11