Profile for Ciaran > Reviews

Ciaran

Stan Kenton Today - Recorded Live In London
Stan Kenton Today - Recorded Live In London

5.0 out of 5 stars Stan at his best, 19 Sept. 2009
If someone asked me whether I had heard of Stan Kenton, a few months ago I would of said "Stan who?". But when I was introduced to him all I knew was that he was a big band leader, I didn't realise he was one of the best to ever grace the band stand. This is my first Kenton album and wow! Words cannot describe the awesome sounds that the band produce. All I can say is that the first time I heard the vibrations from the stereo it sent an immediate pulse through my body causing my hairs to stand on end and my jaw drop, something trully unparalled by any modern band. That pure raw sound that comes from the band is what makes this album such a necessity in any collection. Trully fantastic, one of the best albums I have ever bought. Now when people ask me who Kenton is, I ask, "How could I not know who he is, one of the finest band leaders to set foot on this earth."

Chameleon
Chameleon

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly powerful, 14 April 2009
This review is from: Chameleon (Audio CD)
For all of those who love the wonderful sound that is the Maynard Ferguson Big Band, lool no further, cause this is the album for you. A stuning album which has powerful trumpets, precise trombones, great saxes and accurate rhythm section. Oh, and Maynard's quite good too. The album opens up with Chameleon, what a tune! Make sure you have your player on loud so you can hear the 'quiet' opening...Gospel John is another tune which shows diversity of Maynard, with a lovely (albeit, hgih pitched) trumpet solo. The rest of the tracks on the album do not dissapoint with a large variety in the material. If you love your jazz, you will not be dissapointed.

Saving Private Ryan [DVD] [1998]
Saving Private Ryan [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars A very realistic account of D-Day, 27 Dec. 2008
When I first saw this film I was shocked by just how gruesome the opening beach scene is. It made me want to watch the rest of the film with intent. I think the film itself is just a plain and simple blood bath 'horror' movie, which is what war is about, plain and simple. I've read other reviews saying the film has no plot but I don't think this degrades the film because if you want a big anti-war film, look no further. Not many other films I have seen make me less want to go to war.

The opening scene is argueably one of the best opening sequences in all of film history. It is also what the veterans themselves can call as close to the real thing but you're obviously safe, you've got a glass tv screen protecting you from all the flying lead, where as all the soldiers there had was there clothes. One of my friends commented on the opening sequence (he was not military oriented at all) by saying the team work the soldiers showed was amazing. I think the film is a huge tribute to the men who served in the U.S. army at the time and all the other armed forces. I also disagree that people have said the film is anti-German. It is, but the whole point of the war was anti-German. The two sides went to war killing men they 'didn't like' for reasons they didn't really understand. The action in the film is stunning and at times very disturbing, so if you're at all squemish, not the film to watch.

The Complete Atomic Basie
The Complete Atomic Basie

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fantastic Mr. basie!, 24 Dec. 2008
For all of you who want smooth jazz, look no further! You have come to the king of swing. His band was easily the best at the time and will go down as one of the best of all time! What the Count created was something ver difficult to create, a swingin' big band. Very few have mastered the art of swing as Basie did.

"The Kid From Red Bank" is a fabulous opener and sets the tone of the album. The powerful ensemble sections followed quickly by a cool rhythm section and visa-versa. As always the band is helped along by fabulous soloists, the Count himself and many others in all sections. The trackes following are also absolutely stunning, the cool jazz above the very 'floatey' rhythm section. But almost certainly the best track on the album is "Li'l Darlin'. The incredibly relaxing tune and sublime muted trumpet solo add up to make excellent jazz. But as I am a sucker for addictive tunes, I love "Splanky". The cool jazz with muted brass is just genius.

Big Swing Face
Big Swing Face

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another awesome Buddy Rich album!, 24 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Big Swing Face (Audio CD)
My first Buddy Rich album was "Mercy, Mercy" and it got me hooked on the fabulous sound of the band. When I brough this album I was just shocked by just how good the band is! I never realised a band could be this good. There is times when the band is blowing your brains out across the back wall then seconds later it's down to nothing more than a whisper. This album has one of the best examples of that in the tune "Willowcrest". It builds up after another fabulous solo section into the biggest swing you've ever heard. It's swingin' like a dolce of salts on speed, then it just drops. Fabulous arranging! Half the style comes from the band itself but the rest comes from the arrangements it picks and Rich has nack of picking the best arrangers! The album starts out with a very powerful arrangement of the Beatle's tune "Norwegian Wood" which is one hell of a concert opener!

To show the versatility of the Rich family, he has his daughter Cathy sing "The Beat Goes On" which is bang on in the groove and makes Cathy sound awesome! It is a very long album (18 tracks - 70 mins) which will keep you entertained. The problem of this is it might get a bit samey for some (not for me mind). With this in mind the best tracks are definitely the first 18! My favourite on this one is "Big Swing Face". It promotes everything I love about the band, smooth but very powerful jazz!

Roar of 74
Roar of 74

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite Buddy Rich albums!, 24 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Roar of 74 (Audio CD)
Now, for all of you Buddy Rich fans out there, this is a fabulous album which just show how the Buddy Rich Big Band moves into the new era of funk, moving ever more away from swing. For all of those of you have heard Rich's earlier albums you will not be dissapointed in the sense the that the power of the band, the rhythmical drumming and just fantastic soloists (as always) is still there, but the change from swing into the more funk feel in this album is not to everyone's liking.

If you're a new listener to Buddy Rich, I would'nt recomend this album as you would find it very difficult to like his earlier stuff. I would recomend an album such as "Mercy, Mercy" or of a similar time frame. But this does not mean this album is not bad, oh no. The first few tracks on the album are very powerful, my favourite being "Backwoods Sideman" a funk-time, very powerful and very addictive sax feature. "Time Check" has a massive opening which will blow you away, especially if you've got you're player turned up loud! But the mood relaxes and the versatility of the band is shown with a Duke Ellington arrangment - "A Prelude To A Kiss". This is smooth jazz at it's best and what an arrangement it is. The only track on the album referring back to the old swing of the earlier years, with the old feel sax chords remenisent of Glenn Miller. The penultimate track is a bit odd but still very likeable. "Waltz Of The Musgroom Hunters" is a very contempary peice, which will no doubt listening intently to the unusual chord structure with intent. The album finishes off with a shuffle feel chart called "Senator Sam", with an also addictive hook in its tune.

Over all, a very good album and a must for the Buddy Rich fan or someone who just loves jazz!