Profile for C. A. Stott > Reviews

Content by C. A. Stott

C. A. Stott ""opera lover"" (South Australia, Australia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Not Going Out Series 1-5 [DVD]
Not Going Out Series 1-5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lee Mack

5.0 out of 5 stars A great reason to 'Stay In', 1 Mar 2014
An excellent reason for "Not Going Out". One of the best situation comedies I have watched in a long time.

Inspector Montalbano: Series One (5 Disc DVD)
Inspector Montalbano: Series One (5 Disc DVD)
Dvd ~ Luca Zingaretti

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful Experience, 22 May 2013
I came upon this series by accident and was hesitant about ordering it as it is in Italian with subtitles. I am so glad I did get it.The subtitles are no problem at all, the emotion flowing from the actors beautifully adding to the meaning of the dialogue. A terrific series and I can't wait for more of the same. Please give it a try you won't be disappointed.Inspector Montalbano: Series One (5 Disc DVD)

George Gently - Series Three [DVD]
George Gently - Series Three [DVD]
Dvd ~ Martin Shaw
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspector George Gently Series Three!, 7 Oct 2012
This series is terrific! I felt that Martin Shaw and Lee Ingleby had settled into the partnership of Inspector George Gently and Detective Sergeant John Bacchus and were now a team which made the interaction between the two very believable.With fine acting from both and great plots it makes for excellent viewing.

George Gently Series Four [DVD]
George Gently Series Four [DVD]
Dvd ~ Martin Shaw

5.0 out of 5 stars George Gently!!, 7 Oct 2012
This series gets better with each subsequent release. Martin Shaw is (in my opinion) perfectly cast as Inspector George Gently who is tough when necessary but also warm and humane, especially when interacting with the inexperience of Detective Sergeant John Bacchus (Lee Ingleby). I do admit that it took me a few episodes in the first series to warm to John Bacchus, in fact I positively disliked the character in the beginning, not withstanding that, I enjoyed the plots,appreciated the fine acting and bought series two and now three and four. This is a fine series and I hope it continues ....I can't wait for series five. The BBC has certainly done it again with another fine series!

Regan [DVD]
Regan [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Thaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Regan!!, 7 Oct 2012
This review is from: Regan [DVD] (DVD)
A trip down memory lane which is well worth making! I was unsure about buying this but highly recommend it. It reminds us that even though there were few special effects when this was made, good plots and excellent actors meant enjoyable viewing which entertained and satisfied the viewer. The pairing of John Thaw and Dennis Waterman in Regan was an inspired choice and paved the way for the enormous success of The Sweeney. Buy it if you enjoy good, gritty police drama.

La Strada - Songs From The Movies
La Strada - Songs From The Movies
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars An Album to Treasure!!, 25 Jun 2011
As always Rolando Villazon delivers an album that is sensitive,beautiful and memorable. I love his song selection in its entirety but as 'Non, je ne regrette rien', holds very special memories for me as sung by Edith Piaf, I was concerned it may not have had the same impact. How wrong could I be, the arrangement is superb and Rolando gives an exquisite rendition, which gave me shivers up my spines The Cd has been played many times since I received it. The whole album was delivered with geniune feeling and marvellous voice control, throughout......creating the mood of each song as only he can! This album has a very special place in my collection of Rolando Villazon's music, whether it be Cd or DVD; opera, Zarzuela or crossover.

Erwin Schrott Recital
Erwin Schrott Recital

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rising Star!, 4 Jun 2011
This review is from: Erwin Schrott Recital (Audio CD)
A delightful first compilation of arias by Erwin Schrott. I thoroughly enjoyed this Cd and highly recommend it. I will listen to it often...buy it you won't be sorry!!

Jonas Kaufmann: Puccini's Tosca [DVD] [2011]
Jonas Kaufmann: Puccini's Tosca [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Jonas Kaufmann

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing!, 1 May 2011
With the cast asembled for this production, Jonas Kaufmann as Cavadarossi, Emily Magee as Tosca, Thomas Hampson as Scarpia,Valeriy Murga as Angelotti and Guiseppe Scorsin as Sacristan it should have been spectacular. I can't fault the cast their performances were without doubt memorable, the singing absolutely beautiful. Jonas Kaufmann's performance as ever charismatic, Emily Magee a wonderful Tosca and Thomas Hampson an excellent Scarpia. However, Robert Carsen's staging managed to take this production from what should have been a five star event to something far less. Not even the most devoted opera fan could rate this a five, for the most part it is difficult to see the action there is a dark dismal set on opening which is repeated for the most part throughout the three acts, and with minimalist sets. I do question why Carsen felt it necessary to change the essence of Tosca. I am sorry to have to say that I dislike this production but what lifts it from the ordinary is Jonas Kaufmann who as always seems to inahbit the skin of the part he plays, and vocally he is magnificent as Cavadarossi; for this reason alone this DVD is a must have.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2012 11:06 AM GMT

Franco Corelli Perfect Tenor
Franco Corelli Perfect Tenor

5.0 out of 5 stars Still a Perfect Tenor!, 27 April 2011
This is a wonderful compilation of Franco Corelli's roles. It may be that he has been forgotten by many but to me he is still 'A Perfect Tenor', it is unlikely we will see his like again. There could only be one Franco Corelli and for those of us who enjoy his music (for me beginning way back when I was a teenager!), this is a walk down memory lane. Thoroughly enjoyable; even if you do have most of the arias on other discs, this is ideal for a relaxing evening at home! I thoroughly enjoy this disc and I am sure you will too.

Gaetano Donizetti - La Fille du régiment / Dessay, Florez, Palmer, Corbelli, French, Campanella, Pelly (Royal Opera House 2007) [DVD] [2008] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Natalie Dessay

5.0 out of 5 stars Juan Diego Florez and Natalie Dessay an Inspired Pairing!, 27 April 2011
Wonderfully entertaining with these two artists whose acting and interaction with each other and the other cast members is in itself terrific to watch. Juan Diego is completely at ease with the role of Tonio and this part could have been written for him. His voice as always a marvellous instrument and he makes it seem so easy and therefore enables the audience to lose themselvesin for a while whilst appreciating a truly gifted tenor. Natalie Dessay is perfect for the part of Marie, her facial expressions and body language coupled with that as always lovely voice gives an exemplary performance. The other cast members give outstanding performances too,and we cannot forget Dawn French as La Duchesse de Crackentorp......just a terrific performance from her. All in all a totally engrossing, enjoyable production. I have no hesitation in recommending that you don't miss this....buy it you won't regret it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3