Profile for ManzoniAle > Reviews

Content by ManzoniAle

ManzoniAle "asia84"

Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St. Mary's Book 1)
Just One Damned Thing After Another (The Chronicles of St. Mary's Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A wacky story which keeps you riveted, 26 Oct 2013
This is one of the most unusual novels I have ever read, and yet it somehow "works". The story is quite far-fetched, but after getting past the first few chapters the story becomes riveting and the twists in the plot keep the reader interested. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

Bombsites and Lollipops - My 1950s East End Childhood: My 1950s East End Childhood

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing read, 26 Oct 2013
I downloaded this book because I felt drawn to the subject matter - the book is set in a time and place that interests me greatly. However, I found that the narrative dragged on a little bit, the story wasn't particularly captivating and the content not as informative as I'd expected.

Blood, Sweat and Tea: Real Life Adventures in an Inner-city Ambulance
Blood, Sweat and Tea: Real Life Adventures in an Inner-city Ambulance

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very captivating, didn't get past the first few chapters, 27 Jun 2013
The premise of the book really interested me, so I was a bit disappointed that the content wasn't more gripping when it actually came to reading it. This is perhaps in part due to the format of the book which, due to its being taken from a blog, is written in very short chapters, each describing one incident in the author's life. Because of this, none of these incidents is described in much detail, so you get the feeling that the event is over almost as soon as it started.
This small point, however, is nothing in comparison to the pace of the writing which drags along a bit, which is surprising with such an interesting subject matter. This is probably more entertaining as a blog than a book.

The Class Ceiling (A romantic comedy)
The Class Ceiling (A romantic comedy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, great comedy, 12 Jun 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, found it very funny right from the start and the setting chosen works very well for this type of humour. I would have preferred less focus on the romance and more on the comedy, but it still works very well and would recommend the novel highly.

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Written by Herself
Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Written by Herself

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting and informative read, 17 Nov 2012
I found this book very interesting as I had never read such a detailed, first-hand account of 19th century slavery in the United States. Due to its being written by a former slave, it contains a very personal, autobiographical view on life in the Southern States during that time, revealing some pretty incredible facts about the hardships and sufferance endured by a whole section of the population.
The one criticism I have of the book itself is that at times the descriptive passages have a tendency to become repetitive, which can make the reading a little slow.
However it is overall a very instructive book, so it is definitely worth a download.

Déjà Vu (The Saskia Brandt Series Book One)
Déjà Vu (The Saskia Brandt Series Book One)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable story once you get your head into it, 17 Nov 2012
I admit it took me a while to get into this book: the storyline was somehow difficult to follow at first and I was confused by the different characters and their past (who they were, what brought them here, etc.); but then when I was about 30% of the way through, I realised this had been done on purpose and the story had begun to develop in such a way as to intrigue me and want to continue reading. You also get several moments of suspense along the way which I found thrilling. The one drawback to the book is the way in which the characters are depicted and how they express themselves which is a bit predictable and obvious. Other than that, a good read!

The One You Love (Emma Holden suspense mystery trilogy Book 1)
The One You Love (Emma Holden suspense mystery trilogy Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars A good start to the story fails to impress, 20 Oct 2012
I was a little disappointed with the book after reading such great reviews of it by other users.

The story draws you in very quickly at the start, as the action develops rapidly and the mystery keeps you guessing as to what might happen next.

My main gripe about the novel is the writing style, which I often found overly sentimental and not particularly realistic. I refer mainly to the interactions between the characters in the book where some conversations seem more appropriate in a soap opera than in a suspense mystery.

However, it's a free download and an easy read, and I myself was intrigued enough by the plot to want to keep reading to see what happens in the end. Download it as a light distraction on a long train ride.

Emma
Emma

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic story, brilliantly written - Kindle version disappoints, 20 Oct 2012
This review is from: Emma (Kindle Edition)
I have been reading Jane Austen since I was very young, and her novels have never failed to engross me entirely with great storylines and vivid descriptions of 19th century England. Emma is precisely one of these captivating novels, and it was therefore the most logical choice for my first Kindle download.
In paperback this book would probably earn the full five stars from me, but the main disappointment I had in the Kindle version were the numerous typos - very likely due to the software used to convert the text into its electronic format - and I found these errors surprisingly distracting to the point where some of the value of the writing is diminished by the recurrence of so many spelling mistakes.
If you are able to ignore these, Emma is one of the great classics to have to hand and as a free download, you could certainly do a lot worse.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2012 4:06 PM BST