Profile for The Doc > Reviews

Content by The Doc

The Doc "Dave" (south london)

RHA MA450i Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Black
RHA MA450i Noise Isolating In Ear Earphones with Remote and Microphone - Black
Price: 39.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop the search..., 1 Feb 2013
Call off the sniffer dogs, send the cops home for tea and breathe a deep sigh of relief. It's all over.
These are the babies I believe you've been looking for.
Let me tell you why.
Having spent an embarrassingly large sum on phones over the last few years in a desperate attempt to squeeze every last drop out of the tiny digital music files that we're now reduced to, I seriously think there's nowhere else to go, all things considered.
Those things are, my player, my bit-rates, the production quality of the original source music and position in ear. Plus the possible run-in period. I'm not sure if other reviewers have taken all these variables into account in their judgement of these phones...which may be why there's a little discrepancy in views.
But let me tell you (and you'll have to take the other variable, my taste, into account here too), these RHA's are brain-jumpingly good. Especially for in-ears. There's warmth, detail, space and good imaging. They might not be 100% accurate and 'flat' as some audiophiles seem to like....but who gives a brownish drop of toilet. They're fun and engaging and make you want to keep listening to music. Even listening to streamed stuff via Spotify on the iphone is surprisingly good. And what's this about the bass being weak? What? WHAT? get a grip...get 'em properly in your ears and listen! It's the bass in these that really makes them. In fact, I suggest you put your EQ to treble booster on the RHA's...I've found this with nearly all earphones - you just don't seem to get any real detail otherwise.
A valuable piece of advice; it really isn't worth spending over 50-360 on Etymotics, Shures, Ultimate Ears, Senns, Klipsch, Monster Bras, Giveittomeyeahyeahyeahs or any other fantabulously named ear-thingys. You just ain't gonna squeeze anything else better out of your files. Or at least anything worth the extra bunce. You really aren't, you know.
One thing I'd say is, whisper it quietly, but I think I prefer the sound of the MA-350's slightly right now. It might be that they're burned in more - or it could be that I'm used to them - but I'll give these time and see if they give me that little bit more space/sound stage that I think they need. After all, the controls are useful. I've every faith.
Bye.

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
by Eckhart Tolle

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but repetitive and over-generalising, 21 July 2008
On the positive side this book is easy to read, well-researched and highly thought-provoking. Much of it makes sense and is backed up by occasional referenced to the Bible, Zen and respected literary figures. And it all hangs together quite neatly and fits snugly into the Zeitgeist. However, the book could have been written in 80 pages instead of 300 plus. Also, some of the arguments are a little simplistic and generalised - and ideas and terms are welded together rather too keenly in a vain attempt to solve the ultimate mystery of man, existence and the universe. Are we to believe that the unconscious operates as the ego at ALL times? Is the 'Now' the ONLY true and most spiritual way of existing? Is it ALWAYS the most practical and useful? Does 'all truly successful action come out of the field of alert attention, rather than from ego and conditioned, unconscious thinking.'? Sometimes, yes. But surely speaking, driving and creativity are just a few key activities that partly or fully use the unconscious to successful affect. And when it comes to physcial pain, is it always a great idea to be in full 'awareness' and have 'alert attention'. Wonder what the NLP/hypnotherpists would say.
I guess the book's problem is that whilst it makes a valiant attempt at straddling spirituality, philosophy and psychology it ends up carrying some pretty patched up, wounded ideas and occasionally finds itself limping around in circles. So - for me, it's close but no cigar...however it's well worth a read.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars So you've heard something better!?, 5 Jun 2006
Having tried about 6 different sorts of earphones - from AKG to the recommended Creative and Sonys, and Sennheiser PX200 to Koss PortaPros - these ETY's have to be way the best for clarity, isolation and authenticity (though if you want a slightly warmer, bassy sound, for less cash go for the Koss PortaPros...look dodgy but sound brilliant). Obviously we're talking ipod or portable sound here as they don't quite compare with the richness of my Senn HD600's through my system (boy I sound a geek, huh?!). But these are quite something. Ignore any pleb comments about lack of bass...they have plenty. Just get them a bit deeper into your ears and put on the hip hop eq if you must. I've noticed that some tracks are not quite as perfect as others - but i've begun to put that down to either poorer recording/mixing or poor bit rate burning. Either way, I've begun to trust them...you hear things you haven't heard before...and they really do block out mostly everything without leaking. Go on...you know you want to.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2011 10:18 PM BST