Profile for Gimli 54 > Reviews

Content by Gimli 54

Gimli 54

Page: 1 | 2
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium inkl SP1 32 Bit UK - Refurbished Full Version (PC DVD), 1 User - Win7 home Premium 32 Bit [DVD-ROM] Windows 7
Offered by stop_computer

3.0 out of 5 stars PC needs more power., 16 July 2014
A week or so ago I was on the point of scrapping an old desktop PC which had been gathering dust for a few years but changed my mind and thought that it might be an interesting exercise to see if the ancient low spec computer could handle Windows 7. The PC is: ASUS Terminator / Intel Celeron(R) 2.26 GHz / 1GB RAM / 40GB HDD / XP. The upgrade disc arrived within 48 hours of placing the order.

Initial installation, set up and activation was a breeze and took well under an hour but this was then followed by several tiresome hours downloading and installing 135 updates. Once this was all done and dusted I set about making comparisons with XP. Immediately it was obvious that with Windows 7 the PC was much slower than with XP, probably by as much as 30%. I took regular measurements of RAM and CPU usage over two days and found that RAM rarely exceeded 85% but the CPU was flat out most of the time at 100%. The message here is clear - 1GB RAM is sufficient for most general purposes but the single core Celeron lacks the power required to run the PC at a useful speed.

xubix Premium Flip Case Real Leather Ultra Slim for Motorola Moto G Black
xubix Premium Flip Case Real Leather Ultra Slim for Motorola Moto G Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 May 2014
I bought this case because I wanted one without the usual bulky locking clasp and this was the only example I could find online. At first glance the case looked impressive but on further inspection my enthusiasm declined. The part of the case holding the phone seems to me to be made of some form of hard plastic not leather. The flip over cover may or may not be leather it is difficult to say. The clasp is not completely effective in holding the case shut. Nevertheless I will be keeping the case because it will obviously provide adequate protection to the phone and it looks quite smart. It is overpriced.

TuneUp Utilities 2014 - 1 User (PC)
TuneUp Utilities 2014 - 1 User (PC)
Offered by Downloadbuyer

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 18 Nov. 2013
Recently my four years old HP laptop with Vista Home Premium started to run slowly and I felt that I soon might have to carry out a re-install of the operating system. Before embarking on this always tedious process I decided to give the computer a once over with a tune up program. Up to about three years ago I had tried almost all the well known paid for tune up programs on various computers and had never noticed any improvements other than a small decrease in disk defrag times so I gave up on them.

This time I chose Tune Up Utilities 2014 because I have always found AVG products to be effective and reliable and I reasoned that with the passage of time current programs might be much better than those of years ago. Installation and set up was quick and simple. After the first scan which took well over twenty minutes the program flagged up a shed load of problems which were then supposedly corrected. Then the troubles started. The laptop slowed to a crawl from start up to shut down and repeatedly froze. When I downloaded images they initially appeared on the screen very fuzzy and after a delay of about three seconds snapped into focus - very strange. Many other faults appeared and in spite of my considerable experience in operating and maintaining computers I was unable to get the laptop to a satisfactory working state. Finally, after two days of trying everything under the sun, I gave up and permanently removed the program after which the laptop then reverted to its normal acceptable state and I heaved a sigh of relief.

I realise that Tune Up Utilities has attracted many good reviews and I am at a loss to explain why it scrambled my laptop. I found nothing obviously wrong with the installation disc and there did not appear to be any glitches in the software. As far as assessment goes I have to rate Tune Up Utilities 2014 as I found it and that means the lowest star value.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2013 8:11 PM GMT

Duronic White LS1008 /W Digital 50KG Capacity Luggage/Bag/Suitcase Scales with straps and batteries
Offered by DURONIC

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit tricky to use, 4 Sept. 2013
The scale is well built, comfortable to hold and against known weights the accuracy was mostly within +/- 5%. However the reasons for the 3 star rating are:

1. If the object to be weighed is not exactly central on the strap there can be a significant error in the reading. I weighed a 3kg handbag off centre and the scale recorded it as 10.5kg!

2. The weighing units which are set before use (ST, LB, KG)are in very small print and are quite difficult to read in anything other than good light.

3. I cannot hear the 'beep', and I do have good hearing.

Altogether this is quite a disappointing purchase and although I will keep the scale I can see me going back to my reliable old spring balance when I pack to go flying.

Gadget Giant Huawei Ascend Y300 Black S Line Gel Grip Silicone Case Cover Protector

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 22 Aug. 2013
Equally as good as the case I bought just before this one for my Huawei G300. Perfect fit, accurately machined cutouts, comfortable to hold and a pleasing appearance. As for the phone, at just under £60 from Carphone Warehouse the Huawei Y300 is extraordinary value for money.

Gadget Giant Huawei Ascend G300 Black S Line Gel Grip Silicone Case Cover & LCD Screen Protector

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected., 21 Aug. 2013
Purchased a few days ago. Fits like a tailored glove, all cutouts are aligned perfectly with their respective functions and the case transforms the appearance of the Huawei G300 from a somewhat unappealing lump of plastic into a rather smart looking piece of kit. I was so impressed with this case that I immediately put in another order for a similar item for my wife's Huawei Y300.

Nexus 7 For Dummies (Google Tablet)
Nexus 7 For Dummies (Google Tablet)

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite useful, 18 Jan. 2013
The contents of this book will certainly help a newcomer get to grips with the Nexus 7 but as with most 'Dummies' it is far too wordy and could easily be cut down without affecting its usefulness.

Ployer Momo8 Bird Tablet PC - 8 Inch Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich) - 1024 * 768 Capacitive 5 Point Touch Screen, 1.6GHz Processor, 8GB storage, 1GB DDR3 Memory, Ultra Thin, 9.7mm design - 3D Output - Flash 11.1 - New Google Play installed - All iPlayers and Flash Content Compatible - 1.3MP Camera

5.0 out of 5 stars Early days with the MOMO8 BIRD, 29 May 2012
A few months ago I bought a Scroll Excel 7 inch tablet to have beside my rocking chair ( I am in my late seventies ) to be able to dip into whilst watching TV rather than use my cumbersome laptop. The tablet served its purpose well but over time I began to feel that the 7 inch screen was too small and I have never much liked its 16:9 format. I therefore decided to look for something bigger with a 4:3 screen and within a £120 budget. Settling on the MOMO8 BIRD I placed an order with GTR Electronics because that company seems to have attracted favourable reports for its customer service and it certainly responded quickly and helpfully to all my e-mails.

Delivery was rapid, within 48 hours, but packaging left a great deal to be desired. Ployer, the manufacturer, has elected to supply the tablet in a tight fitting box which has room only for the tablet and a couple of small connectors. The earpieces and charger are supplied separately and seemingly have to be packed by the retailer. This is a messy and unsatisfactory arrangement and Ployer really should follow convention and put everything into one box.

Out of the box the MOMO8 BIRD seemed to be well made, sturdy and surprisingly weighty for such a slim device. First port of call was the user manual which turned out to be almost useless. Anyone with experience of Android should have no difficulty setting up the tablet but without this experience it may be something of a nightmare due to the lack of suitable instructions. After switch-on the MOMO8 BIRD quickly found my router and thereafter wi-fi performance was flawless. The screen is sharp with well balanced if slightly muted colours ( I downloaded the Chelsea Flower Show to test the colour performance ). Viewing angles are reasonable. Response to touch is rapid but scrolling can sometimes be a bit jerky. I found the 4:3 format to be far superior to 16:9 for readability and ease of use.

There is not a great deal more I need to say other than that the tablet did everything I asked of it and at a shade over £100 I think it is very good value for money. It is too early to comment on reliability. Pity about the box and user manual.

PS. 15 June 2012. I must have had a senior moment when I wrote the above because I failed to realise that there is a comprehensive user manual for Android 4.0 which can be downloaded (PDF) from the GTR Electronics site.

Having made extensive use of the tablet over the last couple of weeks I felt that the standard browser was a bit slow. I tried all the well known browsers and came down in favour of Opera Mobile because it is the one with which I feel most comfortable. Other than that I have been impressed with the performance of the tablet and consider my £100 or so well spent.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2012 2:57 PM BST

AIO Black Flip Leather Case For Orange Monte Carlo / ZTE Skate + Stylus
AIO Black Flip Leather Case For Orange Monte Carlo / ZTE Skate + Stylus

5.0 out of 5 stars Success at last, 18 Feb. 2012
I have been looking for a flip case for my Monte Carlo for some time and was delighted to find this one.

The case is very well made and the phone fits perfectly and securely. Unlike many other cases this one does not add much bulk to the phone. The only reservation I have is that the magnetic clip does not seem to be very powerful.

A bargain.

Panasonic DMP-BDT110EB 3D Blu-Ray Disc Player Skype VIERA Cast
Panasonic DMP-BDT110EB 3D Blu-Ray Disc Player Skype VIERA Cast

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, 12 Jan. 2012
All that can be said about the DMP-BDT110EB 3D Player has probably been said already and I can add very little other than to say that it is an excellent player at a reasonable price and as such must be considered to be very good value for money. Unfortunately I purchased the player just a few days too late to qualify for the free films promotion. I bought ThatCable HDMI as recommended in WHAT HI-FI for around £5 to complete the kit.

Initial set up was quick and easy. For the firmware update I opted to download the file to my PC and then copy to disc ( my router is in another room ) but this was not successful. For some reason or other the size of the file on the disc would not match the size of the file as stated on the Panasonic website so I decided not to risk transferring it to the player and instead downloaded the update via the ethernet connection which was very easy to do after I had shuffled my kit around.

In operation the player is whisper quiet. There is a small improvement in picture quality when upscaling standard DVDs but nothing to really shout about. Blu Ray pictures are outstanding and are a joy to watch.

Overall I am very satisfied with my purchase.

Page: 1 | 2