Profile for O E J > Reviews

Content by O E J
Top Reviewer Ranking: 184

O E J
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Garnier Ambre Solaire Ultimate Blends Shine Conditioner 400 ml - Pack of 6
Garnier Ambre Solaire Ultimate Blends Shine Conditioner 400 ml - Pack of 6

4.0 out of 5 stars What's the story? Shining glory, 28 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Shine Revitaliser from Garnier Ultimate Blends is a conditioner for, in this case, normal hair and claims to transform your hair to its shining glory. Before use, I took the cap off and sniffed the contents (as you do). It's a very nice, pleasant smell but I'm not sure if I'd have said 'Chinese green tea' if I hadn't seen the label first. Lemon? Yes, I think so. Maybe it's just a fresh and vaguely citrus aroma, but whatever you want to call it, it's been given the instant nod of approval by all in my family - three of whom are ladies!

Does it boost shine, as is claimed? Yes, I would say that it does. Does it create a feeling of vitality? That's harder to say but hair feels healthy and fresh afterwards. The question is how it compares with other conditioners, and I have to say that it feels, overall, much the same. Then again, this is not an up-market product, at least not if cost is any guide. Each bottle contains 400ml and the price pack of 6 is much lower than I had expected. Excellent value for money. And it doesn't feel cheap or oily/greasy at all. I've used some Toni & Guy conditioner which was much more expensive and while the girls liked it a lot, the price-tag probably explained why. You get what you pay for - sometimes.

So if you want your hair to smell like Chinese Green Tea - and don't be put off, it IS nice - with a dash of lemon, and you want your normal hair to look and feel light and bouncy, give this a try. The price nails it for me though - it's great value for money.

I should add (sorry Amazon) that the pack-of-6 price works out at much the same per bottle as you'll buy a single one in most supermarkets. Not much saving, then, but you do get the notable convenience of home delivery - and free if like myself you subscribe to Amazon Prime.

Whiskas Healthy Coat Cat Treats 55 g
Whiskas Healthy Coat Cat Treats 55 g
Offered by Toy and Gift Shop

3.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly expensive and met with a cool response from our cats, 27 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This product jumps on the Dreamies bandwagon, the only problem is our cats don't wolf them down eagerly and hungrily. We have three cats, the youngest one of them (he prefers dry food to wet) likes Whiskas Healthy Coat Cat Treats, the other two middle-aged cats seem to say 'meh' instead of 'meeow' and even when they're given the recommended 10 treats usually don't eat them all.

If the maker's claims are to be believed, this food will help to encourage a healthier coat. It's very difficult to tell if this actually makes any difference because all of our cats have good healthy coats anyway. Some of the ingredients sound encouraging, such as Omega 3 and zinc, so that would appear to be a good thing but when the intake is so small it's again hard to tell what difference it will actually make.

Personally I just want my cats to be happy (and healthy of course), and this particular treat doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. Already one of our cats is walking away without touching it. So they don't regard this as much of a treat at all, to be honest.

Finally I have to mention the price. I won't say specifically because it fluctuates daily, but the price per kilo is just out in space, more then ten times that of Vitacat Healthy Balance Complete as an example - which our cats prefer anyway even though it's not a 'treat'. In fairness to Whiskas, ALL of these treat foods, no matter the brand, are absurdly expensive and very poor value. From our experience with Whiskas Healthy Coat Cat Treats, I rather doubt that we will be buying it in the future, there are tastier treat products out there - and more attractively priced too.

Whiskas 2 - 12 Months Kitten Pouches Fish Selection in Jelly 100 g
Whiskas 2 - 12 Months Kitten Pouches Fish Selection in Jelly 100 g
Offered by Toy and Gift Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value but best not given to your kitten every day, 25 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Being a price-conscious consumer one of the first things I look at when buying cat food is the price per kilo, and while this will vary from day to day it is clear that this is priced nearer to the lowest end of the spectrum so that immediately gets the thumbs-up from me. Being supplied in pouches rather than tins this is not only more environmentally-friendly, it's also one of the cheapest pouched-type cat foods I have found, as pretty much everything at a lower price comes in tins and tends to be non-branded (i.e. supermarket own brands). Another positive is the ease with which I was able to get very nearly all of the contents out of the pouch - this is most welcome and not typical of several other pouched-type cat foods I have purchased. In fact, one of my main complaints about other pouches is the difficulty in getting all the food out, and while I think temperature plays a part my early impressions of Whiskas Junior Kitten is that it is far better than average.

As for the taste: Great! It comes in very small segments (much smaller than that found in adult cat food) to make life easy for the kitten. Our next-door neighbour's cat is a beautiful 6 month old male and clearly likes this Whiskas food a lot, whether it's the salmon, the tuna, the coley or the whitefish. It's worth pointing out that despite those supposedly reassuring labels, each pouch contains only 4% of the named fish, so just what the other 96% is made of is open to debate; officially Mars UK (the company behind the Whiskas brand) state that the non-pure fish content is made up of meat and animal derivatives, fish and fish derivatives, oils and fats, minerals and edible sugars.

On this subject of 'fish derivatives', the EC defines this as "Fish or parts of fish, fresh or preserved by appropriate treatment, and derivatives from the processing thereof".

Although broad terms like this attract a lot of criticism, it must be noted that they do not necessarily indicate the presence of low grade ingredients. Fish and fish derivatives for example encompasses all fish products, from the very best to the very worst. Some producers of good foods use broad terms in order to not give away their 'secret formula' and some imported foods list very high quality fish as 'fish and fish derivatives' simply because the laws or customs in their home country are different. At the opposite end of the scale, the term can be used for very low-grade fish derivatives including some that are nutritionally very poor. Also, because the type of fish isn't specified, manufacturers using this term are able to change their fish source between batches depending on what is available at the time.

Because it is impossible to know what this refers to, I would suggest assuming the worst and avoiding foods with this ingredient in the long term (but OK on occasion during the 2-12 month term recommended). This is particularly important if your cat is prone to dietary intolerance as identifying and eliminating problem ingredients is impossible unless you know exactly what you are feeding.

My gut instinct (sorry!) is that this is a good cheap food for kittens but it's advisable to use only occasionally and not every day, in other words use this on some days and other foods that do NOT contain meat/fish derivatives on other days. This should lead to a better balanced diet for your young growing cat.

Humble Beauty Bath and Honey 275 ml, Rose and Frankincense
Humble Beauty Bath and Honey 275 ml, Rose and Frankincense

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely smell, 25 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly, the jar the product comes in is very appealing. It is quite a normal jar with a silver screw lid but I like the logo and layout of the label on the jar. In fact, I like it so much that I might even wash out and re-use the jar for something else when the product is all used up. You get 275ml of 'Bath Honey'.

The bubble bath itself is of very good quality. The odour is very rich and has a refreshing feel to it and when I got out of the bath I felt pleased with the overall smell. It not only left me smelling of rose and frankincense, which everyone else in the family immediately commented on, but also the whole bathroom and nearby! The bath honey filled the bath with soft bubbles and made the water feel smooth and soft, leaving my skin feeling a lot fresher when I got out. When applying the honey to the running water, you simply have to pour out the liquid from the jar.

Unfortunately, when I first tried this, the honey was much runnier than I had expected and I accidentally poured out more than intended, and because of this I have only enough honey in the jar left for one or possibly even two more baths. I would have rather had more than that from looking at the price of it. Nevertheless, I'm still happy with the outcome. So a word of warning - be very careful when adding this to your bath.

Although I have had a lot of pleasure from using this, I have tried other products which can give more or less the same effect. I think this would be good for a gift, as it looks more sophisticated and personal than other items, or it could be good just for treating yourself. I don't think that I would order this again because I have other products from places such as "Lush" where you can get a bubble bar with a nice scent for half the price of this. I can see this being a nice present to buy, but personally I think that it is a little bit overpriced.

If price is not a concern at all though, just lie back and relax....

PRO PLAN Cat ADULT 7+ with LONGEVIS Rich in Chicken, 3 kg
PRO PLAN Cat ADULT 7+ with LONGEVIS Rich in Chicken, 3 kg

4.0 out of 5 stars My cats give it the tails-up, but then they don't have to pay for it!, 20 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Dogs have owners, cats have staff. Cats are choosey as we all know, and if there's one thing they like, it's change. Anything new! Our three cats have welcomed Pro Plan with open paws - and mouths - with the youngest of the three absolutely wolfing it down like there's no tomorrow. The other two clearly liked it a lot too, and after the first trial all three bowls were left spotlessly clean. So if any of our cats could write a review, I've no doubt he/she would say "I love it!"

But there are a couple of issues that are worth mentioning. To call it 'rich in chicken' is a bit cheeky in my view, given that the actual chicken content is about 21% and it's hard to say with any confidence exactly that that means anyway. The thing is, this proportion does not compare favourably with Iams for example, which contains closer to 85% animal protein and is actually cheaper (at the current time).

It depends whether you believe all the scientific mumbo-jumbo or simply go with your cat's reaction and behaviour. We've had loads of Iams before and to be honest all of our cats ended up rather bored with it. This Pro Plan dry food seems, at this stage, to be tastier than Iams but a question has to be asked as to why it costs a fair bit more per kilo based on its nutritional quality.

Overall though I am pleased with it, I like the design of the bag (easily opened without scissors, and easily re-sealed) and best of all our cats have universally given it the tails-up.

Hangerworld 43 cm (17") Quality Padded Satin Top Coat Clothes Hangers with Buttons, Pack of 10, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft, strong and 17 inches long, 20 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've never ordered coat hangers before in my life, so this is something of a new experience. The immediate impression is a product that looks posh, seems well made and appears to be much more robust inside despite its soft exterior. I would expect them to last for several years but this will vary from one user to another of course. Without question these hangers are nice to look at, nice to hold and simply raise the atmosphere of the wardrobe.

A recommended purchase for anyone looking for up-market coat hangers.

SoundPEATS Q9 New Mini Lightweight Sport/Running/Exercise Bluetooth 4.1 Wireless headphone for Sony Samsung Android Iphone Ipad Bluetooth Device (Black)
Offered by SOUNDSOUL Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Very convenient, the ideal companion for your mobile device, 20 Aug. 2015
When I first picked the earphones out of the packaging, I was worried that the wire connecting the ear pieces together would be too short, but they ended up fitting very comfortably and loosely around the back of my head. The earbuds themselves fix securely onto the ear after adjusting the size. They come with three different sizes of earbuds - small, medium and large, so the sizing can be changed. Overall, when wearing the earphones, they are comfortable and easy to put on.

When it came to connecting the earphones by Bluetooth to my devices (my phone, laptop, iPad, etc), I found it quite a challenge at first as I couldn't even find the power button! But after reading the small instruction guide provided, I found that it's actually quite a simple process. I found the guide that is supplied inside the box very useful as it helps when setting up your earphones.

The sound quality and appearance are pleasing and all in all I think that this order has been a success! Of course the best thing about this product is that it is wireless and this means that when you are moving around, your earphones don't get tangled about with the wires. If you have long hair, they can't be seen at all, which is kind of neat. I'm very happy with this and I would definitely recommend it.

Microsoft Lumia 535 5 inch UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Black (Qualcomm Snapdragon 200 1.2GHz, 1Gb RAM, 8Gb storage, Wi-Fi, BT, Camera, Windows 8.1)
Offered by total digital stores

3.0 out of 5 stars Love it or loathe it, you can't dispute the value, 17 Aug. 2015
I've had this Nokia/Microsoft phone for about 4 months now, bought it here on Amazon as it was a featured Deal of the Day I think. An impulse purchase really.

I could write a lengthy list of things I don't like about it, but I keep reminding myself how cheap it was and that, bottom line, it's incredible value for money. When you stop and think of what this thing is capable of, you have to admit it's nigh-on unbeatable at this price point, even allowing for the fact that it's 3G.

I wanted a cheap phone because I don't need it for much more than phone calls and texts, and in these two respects it's good although I don't like the ease with which I can accidentally call someone I don't intend to call, or - and this is the thing that happens most often - I make a call, end it, and then re-dial the same person by mistake. Often they then call me back and ask why I called them again and I have to apologise. Never had this problem with any previous phone.

Best thing for me is, rather unexpectedly, the predictive text for text messages. I'm really impressed with it, and it makes texting massively easier, faster and more convenient. In this respect I have no hesitation in saying it's the best I've known. It remembers names and other unusual words I've used. Without a shadow, this is the best feature for me.

Of course there's much more to the phone than that, and for me the next best thing is probably the ease with which I can check my emails. This Windows phone seems - to me anyway - better designed in this respect than any Android phone I have previously used.

I'm not much of a picture-taker as far as phones are concerned (much prefer proper dedicated cameras) but it's satisfactory and comes with the option of a flash.

My main bugbear is the phone's basic ergonomics and how difficult it can be to carry out simple tasks with one hand. For me it feels like a phone that needs to be used with two hands, and not because of its size. The on/off button is a constant nuisance and I don't like it.

I have used the phone briefly as a hotspot for my laptop (when there was a Sky broadband failure) but my daughter's Sony Xperia M was much better and overall it was a fiddly and frustrating experience using the Lumia.

Overall the likes cancel out the dislikes and I'm left with a phone that can be annoying at times and a pleasure at others, but in the end the price kills off any serious negatives. Obviously there are better phones than this out there, but you'll have to pay a fair bit more.

New GCSE Maths AQA Exam Practice Workbook: Higher - for the Grade 9-1 Course (includes Answers)
by CGP Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth 'adding' to your wish list or basket, 17 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In this GCSE Practice Book, there are seven sections: Number; Algebra; Graphs; Ratio, Proportion and Rates of change; Geometry and Measures; Pythagoras and trigonometry; and probability and statistics. In each of the different sections, there are several minor topics within the sections, for example, inside the section "Graphs", there's a page dedicated to Quadratic Graphs.

The book is made up mostly of questions useful for revision, not for learning new topics. At the end of the booklet, the are three different practice papers, each allowing one hour and a half to complete them. Two papers allow the student to use a calculator, and one of them doesn't. At the very end of the booklet, there are the answers.

I'm very happy with the booklet as there are no loose sheets of paper hanging around in the booklet - everything is built in - which makes it easier to carry and take around. The book will be of great help to students preparing for their GCSEs as the book covers core maths subjects, mock exam papers to prepare for the real Maths GCSE Exam, and answers at the end to help see where they can improve. I've already received booklets from CGP company, and haven't really had any problems. I'd definitely recommend this practice book to others.

VicTsing Wireless Gaming Mouse 2400 DPI 6 Buttons Optical USB Mouse Mice cordless with Nano Receiver for Pro Gamer iMac Macbook Microsoft PC
Offered by VICTECH

4.0 out of 5 stars Went from corded to wireless and back to corded again, 17 Aug. 2015
First impressions of this VicTsing wireless gaming mouse were satisfactory and it was very nice to have no cord. But after a short time, within a few minutes really, I noticed a small time-lag. Maybe this is inevitable and to be expected with a low-priced wireless mouse but within a day or two I reluctantly removed it and reverted to a corded mouse. I really wanted the VicSting to be as instantly responsive but sadly it wasn't. I'm talking about a very, very small time lapse, but enough to be noticeable. Some might be completely unaware or might be unconcerned, but in the end I couldn't tolerate it. In terms of feel and quality I have no criticism, it's very good and again the low price makes it an attractive purchase.

The product was supplied at no charge by the manufacturer/importer in return for this review. I like it, but I can't say I love it. I have concluded that the only way to get instantaneous response times from a wireless mouse must be to buy a more sophisticated (and expensive) product.

Used with a Novatech laptop, Intel i7 4th Gen 16Gb RAM