Profile for OEJ > Reviews

Content by OEJ
Top Reviewer Ranking: 148

OEJ
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Purina ONE Adult Wet Ocean Fish & Lamb Mini Fillets in Gravy, 8 x 85 g (Pack of 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes four tails vertical, 22 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our four cats are going to miss Purina One - they absolutely love it. Normally they don't like cat food in gravy (only jelly) but this is completely different. It's obviously a high quality product in terms of its ingredients, containing all the necessary vitamins and minerals for a healthy diet.

It's what I would call the first "more-ish" food our cats have ever had. They just want more and more and more! One of our cats is eating more than usual, probably because of Purina One, and he'll probably be a bit fed up when it's all gone and they return to the likes of Kit-e-kat and supermarket own-brands. Yes, Purina One is a pricey cat food but if that's not an issue then this is probably as good as you'll be able to find for your cat.

Unreservedly recommended.

OZ Naturals - The BEST Eye Gel - Eye Cream For Dark Circles Puffiness and Wrinkles - This Eye Gel Treatment Addresses Every Eye Concern - 100% Natural Ingredients - Considered To Be The Most Potent & Effective Eye Gel - Eye Cream Available - ALLURE MAGAZINE'S Best In Beauty Eye Gel - 100% Satisfaction GUARANTEED!
Offered by OZ Naturals EU

4.0 out of 5 stars No worries (or lines), 22 Mar. 2015
This organic gel is designed to smoothe the skin on the face, notably around the eyes of course but also around the mouth and forehead.

In use, the pump dispenser is very useful and convenient because it releases just the right quantity of gel thereby avoiding wastage. The gel smells fresh (a bit like cucumber) and the texture is lightweight although it can be a bit sticky. It does make a beneficial difference by reducing puffiness around the eyes and by doing that makes the area around the eyes appear a little brighter.

When applied to the forehead, it does slightly reduce the worry lines just below the hairline, and this is a benefit that can be seen within a few minutes of application.

This product works, it provides the kind of benefits most buyers would hope for and it is now in regular use. The only note of caution I would mention is that it can leave the skin feeling a little sticky but this disappears after about ten minutes. Make-up can be applied soon after application.

This product was supplied by OZ Naturals at no charge.

Purina ONE Indoor Wet Tuna & Chicken Mini Fillets in Gravy, 8 x 85 g (Pack of 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best a cat can get, 14 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have four cats, and if there's one thing I've learned about cat food it's that you can't keep on giving them the same type every day. They almost always get bored with anything new sooner or later.

This Purina One might break that rule. They absolutely LOVE it, and I really do mean it when I say I have never seen them more eager to eat before. And instead of doing what they normally do, which is walk off and lick their chops somewhere, they want more afterwards. Now I have to admit that I always base my cat food buying choices on price, which tends to be around the £1 to £1.20 per kg range - the bottom end, in other words. Purina One is much more expensive, at over £4 per kilo, but there is no doubt at all that it's four times better. I'm pretty sure that if I asked our oldest cat - he's nearly 14 - which food he rates best in his 80-odd cat years, he would say "Purina One" without hesitation. And he's a wise old dog. Er, I mean.....

If there's one thing I don't like about this product it's the pouches. Yes they're environmentally much more friendly than tins but it's fiddly and sometimes messy getting everything out to minimise wastage. That's not to say these pouches are any worse than others, it's just that I prefer tins because I can get more food out. I do recognise however that pouches make more sense.

Yes this is up-market cat food but that's the only thing to consider really, as it's quite pricey, but the quality is top-class. There are reassuring health benefits of course, such as (claimed) reduced hairball formation, high levels of protein (relative to cheaper products) and improved natural defences thanks to good Vitamin E content.

If you want to give your cat a treat, Purina One is the best edible gift you can give. Totally recommended.

Vax Dual Power Max Carpet Cleaner
Vax Dual Power Max Carpet Cleaner

4.0 out of 5 stars Shame it can't do hard floors, 12 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Vax W86-DD-B is a powerful and quick-cleaning carpet cleaner with dual rotating multirow brushbars which lift tough, deep down dirt. It's ideal for sucking up spills from your carpets, which makes it useful for homes with children or pets as you can quickly and easily clear up after them to help prevent the build-up of grime and stains. It has Twin tank technology which separates clean water from dirty, and it's easy to fill and empty. It has larger tanks for a greater cleaning capacity. There's a 33cm wide cleaning nozzle that enables you to clean larger areas quickly. It comes with an upholstery wash tool allowing you to clean your stairs, upholstery and car interiors too. It's rather heavy but it does a good job at cleaning carpets, although it is not suitable for hard floors. The VAX W85-PP-T Dual Power Pro. the top model in the Vax carpet-cleaning range, is the only model that can also clean hard floors.

Braun Face SE80 Replacement Cleansing Brushes 2 Pack
Braun Face SE80 Replacement Cleansing Brushes 2 Pack

4.0 out of 5 stars Better value would be a 4-pack at this price, 11 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The bristles on the SE80 brush head dry very quickly (or just don't absorb the water properly) and it's necessary to add water frequently. At the price, I think you should get 4 in the pack, so it's a bit expensive. As it is this pair will last about six months. The brush needs to be cleaned thoroughly after each use, of course. Braun claims that it's up to six times better than manual cleansing; hard to know for sure but it's definitely better.

These brush heads are used, in this case, with the SE830 epilator and facial cleansing device.

Braun SE830 Face Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush Premium Edition
Braun SE830 Face Epilator and Facial Cleansing Brush Premium Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite getting to the root of the problem - still good though, 11 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With this product, you receive the main power unit/device (it's a reasonable size-like an electric toothbrush) where the two interchangeable heads go on: cleansing brush and epilator head, a light up, magnifying mirror and a purple travel case.

The mini epilator, which is an electric device, like an electric shaver, is used to remove hair by pulling/tweezing the hairs out. Braun's mini epilator claims to remove the finest hairs from the root on any areas on the face such as the chin, upper lip, forehead and eyebrow area. It leaves you with smooth, hair-free skin for possibly up to 4 weeks and it can be used on sensitive skin and hairs grow back less noticeably, epilation is like an alternative for waxing, it's more efficient and can remove up to 4x shorter hairs than waxing, and this can all be done in the safety of your home-saving you any trips to the beautician. You also will receive a little brush to clean the epilator head, make sure to clean it thoroughly after every use to wash out the hairs and to prevent any bacteria growing. It also includes a silver case for the epilator head, to keep it hygienic/clean.

You also receive a cleansing brush which exfoliates the skin which can remove any dead skin cells, leaving you with smoother skin, and deep cleanses the pores. Electronic facial cleansing has been proven by dermatologists to banish impurities and increase blood circulation under the skin. It can also remove make-up, reduce the amount of blackheads, and can help those who suffer from acne. Your face being cleaner means that moisturisers and anti-age serums can work better and faster.

Also, there are two bonuses: first there's a fairly large LED magnifying mirror which can pick up any missed hairs that natural light couldn't show up, and then there's a purple "beauty pouch" or travel case which the epilator and mirror can easily fit into.

The pain between the eyebrows wasn't as bad or as painful as I had thought it might be, as I have used another Braun epilator before, but this one hurt less. I don't know if it was because it was less powerful but results were similar.

I can't bring myself to use it anywhere else, as I have rather sensitive skin; I'm just happy to use it within
the eyebrow area. The half cover, on the epilator head, is good as it shows where the razor blades meet the skin which I like as you know where it's going and has very good precision. I don't think it actually removed hair right from the root - as the makers claim - I could still see some small hairs but it wasn't that noticeable.

Sadly, this can't be used for shaping eyebrows, only in between them and above them, but be very careful as I accidentally tweezed some hairs out of my eyebrow by accident. That hurt!

Some negative points that I noticed when using the cleansing brush:

* The bristles on the Brush head dry very quickly (or just don't absorb the water) and I had to keep adding water. I
don't use my cleanser with this as it is even more dry

* It's easy to drop, as the handle is very slippery, even more so when wet and the button (to release
the cleansing brush head) is very easy to pop open. I dropped the head once and the brush fell onto the floor

* When the batteries are removed and replaced the main device can prevent it from standing up right, therefore be careful when removing the batteries. The screw head is made of a rather soft plastic that can be easily damaged with a screwdriver

It is said that you should not exfoliate with a facial cleansing brush every day as it can strip the skin of its natural oils which causes irritation as well as redness and dryness. It's recommended to use an electric cleansing brush every few days.

The supplied batteries had to be replaced as the appliance wasn't as powerful as I thought it should be, when I replaced it with new batteries, it was definitely working powerfully and better.

Overall, I do recommend this product, with the right practice and reading the instructions and pre-cautions and not using this too often, you will notice that your skin should be clearer and smoother and easier to maintain.

(the above comments are the thoughts of my fifteen-year-old daughter)

Oral B Vitality Plus Trizone Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Oral B Vitality Plus Trizone Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good toothbrush, 11 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This electric toothbrush is a turquoise green colour and comes with two toothbrush heads and a toothbrush charger. As with most other electric toothbrushes, it does need to have an adapter to charge into the wall as it is not a regular charger.

The built-in timer is very useful. It has got time lapses for every two minutes, so it counts the seconds up to two minutes as soon as you press the power button. It will indicate the two minute round with three short 'buzzes'. The toothbrush naturally makes a generally loud sound so, as the instruction manual phrases it, it gives three 'stutters'. Anyhow, it will be clear when the time lapse occurs as it will stand out from the usual running sound.

The toothbrush itself is very powerful and cleans well. Due to the fact that I am not used to using electric toothbrushes, it was quite startling at how powerful it was, and made my jaw feel as if it was still vibrating even after finishing. I did get a mild headache after using it for the first time, but after a few days, it became a second nature to me. It is easier to use as you only need to move the toothbrush instead of scrubbing at your teeth.

Overall, it is a very good product, but I still feel more comfortable with using the classic toothbrush, because no headaches, constant vibrating, or loud sounds occur. Also, I find that the only unique feature with this toothbrush compared to others, it that it has a timer on it. Therefore, it otherwise seems similar to most other electric toothbrushes. Other than that, it's a useful product and I would recommend it.

(All of the above comments from my 12-year-old daughter)

In the Morning I'll be Gone: Sean Duffy 3
In the Morning I'll be Gone: Sean Duffy 3

5.0 out of 5 stars The third in a trilogy but not the last, 9 Mar. 2015
I'm reading all four Sean Duffy novels back-to-back and loving each one; sadly I read the fourth one first and there are now no more for me in this series but how very, very good they are. In this third one, the writer again mixes high-profile political events of the 1980s with his own appealing fiction. There are traces of James Ellroy in this methodology, because real people have speaking parts - notably the British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. She is very much a central figure in the conclusion of this tale.

Duffy is temporarily promoted into Special Branch and given the task of finding IRA bomb-making expert Dermot McCann who escaped from the Maze Prison in Northern Ireland and is thought to be planning a major terrorist attack. Duffy and McCann go way back to school days when McCann was head boy and Duffy the deputy head; since then they have gone in very different directions but Duffy has always felt that he was living in McCann's shadow. In order to find him he is asked to find the killer of a young woman a few years earlier, but only in return for information about McCann's wherabouts. This murder investigation takes up the bulk of the pages and the conclusion is tense, dynamic and vaguely surreal.

It's hard to fault any aspect of this as a piece of crime fiction because it offers everything : A magnetic leading character, a strong story line and a complete absence of padding. There's something to enjoy on every page. I already know that the next in the series Gun Street Girl: Sean Duffy 4 is even better (actually, the best of the lot) and I really hope there will be more to come in the future. McKinty is simply a very good story-teller.

I Hear the Sirens in the Street: Sean Duffy 2 (Detective Sean Duffy 2)
I Hear the Sirens in the Street: Sean Duffy 2 (Detective Sean Duffy 2)
by Adrian McKinty

5.0 out of 5 stars Stonkingly good read, 25 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I discovered the works of Adrian McKinty only a few weeks ago and for me he has jumped to the top of the tree when it comes to needing a really good book to read. I just like everything about his writing, it's almost as if he's writing it FOR me, because when I turn a page as often as not I find that whatever happens or whatever is said is exactly what I was hoping for.

It's Northern Ireland, 1982, and in this second in the Duffy series, Sean (a Catholic in the predominantly Protestant RUC) has been promoted to Detective Inspector and soon enough we know the case he'll be working on: a dismembered body in a suitcase, dumped in an abandoned factory. There are very few clues but Duffy needs to find out who the victim was and who killed him. The backdrop of The Troubles is always highly prominent and the author very skillfully weaves an intriguing mixture of historical facts (such as The Falklands War) with his own verdant imagination, all this topped off with outstanding character development artistry. What might have been made heavy and complex by most other writers is extraordinarily simple for any reader, whether they are familiar with the conflict in Northern Ireland or not.

Having read the fourth in the series first, I already know that McKinty's skills at adding humour to the mix had not yet fully matured in this second episode, so I suppose I missed that light relief because he is to become very good at it. Instead, I suppose, there are elements of what might be regarded as romance, or at least Duffy's sex appeal to most of the female characters in the story. It's not over-done in the slightest however, and in any case the bedroom scenes are always very much part of the story itself and not an indulgence.

It's only when you get deep into the tale that you realise that this is actually a combination of fact and fiction, or at least McKinty has taken a number of events surrounding a very well-known American businessman and made them central to what is a fictional police investigation. I have to admit to not knowing exactly how much of this story IS fiction, not least the question of whether the dead man actually existed in real life.

So having read three of the four Duffy novels now, I can say with confidence that this is the real deal, a rare treat in an otherwise mundane world of crime fiction, and if you haven't yet tried a Sean Duffy novel then don't even hesitate; you will enjoy this. I'm hard to please these days and this has given me nothing but complete reading pleasure.

Vanish Gold for Whites Oxi Action Stain Remover Powder 1.41 kg
Vanish Gold for Whites Oxi Action Stain Remover Powder 1.41 kg
Offered by Alex Shanks Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed and I won't be buying it, 23 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've seen the adverts on television for Vanish Gold and it does seem to be a good and appealing product. The reality, in this household at least, is that it doesn't even qualify as being "okay". For example, our daughter's cotton school blouse had numerous ink stains on the cuffs, so it seemed a good test of Vanish Gold's stain removing credentials. And the results are almost shockingly bad, frankly. The instructions were followed to the letter yet the "before and after" pictures would have almost anyone wondering why this product should be purchased at all.

Let me make it clear: This is a stain remover that does not remove stains. Not all stains, anyway.

It does have some redeeming features. Colours remain as vibrant as before, and whites are whiter. So that's good.

But Vanish Gold is prominently described as a stain remover, and in this respect I think it is improperly labelled. There is nothing unusual or uncommon as ball-point ink stains on white school clothing, and although after using Vanish Gold the stains fade somewhat, the results are actually surprisingly poor.

This is not a cheap product and I can see no point in buying it at all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20