Profile for O E J > Reviews

Content by O E J
Top Reviewer Ranking: 161

O E J
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Rexel Joy A4 5 Subject Notebook - Lovely Lime
Rexel Joy A4 5 Subject Notebook - Lovely Lime

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Joy, 5 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My favourite thing about this notebook is that it has nearly everything you could possibly want in it. There are five sections in the notebook, separated by A4 coloured pieces of card with little pockets to store notes, letters, scrap pieces of paper etc. The pages are lined and also have margins, with holes inside the margins too in case you would like to store the papers into ringbinders. The notebook also has a 2015 and a 2016 calendar and a timetable for you to fill in if you find this useful. Lastly, I know how annoying it is when you tear a piece of paper out of a notebook and you get the torn, edge of the paper from where it was attached to the notebook, but with this notebook, there are dotted lines next to where the frayed edge is, and you can tear along this line to achieve a nice straight edge. Having said this, I must mention that when I experimented with tearing along the dotted line, it has not been made strongly enough, and tears very easily through the paper into the margin. So my tip is that if you are writing an essay or a letter which means you would like to tear the piece of paper out afterwards, you should tear the page out first, to ensure you don't spend hours writing and then when tearing it out, the writing is ruined!

Next, the front cover, as seen in the product image, has five leaf-shaped openings where you can write what you are going to use the five different sections for, or you could write your five favourite hobbies, or...anything! It's up to you! There is also a little rectangle at the bottom right of the front cover, where you could write you name, for example. And lastly on the front cover, there is a little slip where you can attach a pen, however if you'd rather not have a pen there, the slip stays closed and it is barely noticeable. The cover is made of strong, hard, yet rather flexible material, but should not break.

The notebook as a whole is A4 in size, and quite dense. It is rather heavy compared to others, but you would expect that as it has extra dividers and other features. I would recommend using this for school or work, for organisation. I think, in my opinion, this could be a very useful notebook for revision for exams, as there are different sections for different subjects, and lots of space to write in and take notes.

Overall, I am very happy with this product, and I would definitely recommend it to anybody of all ages, but I see that it would be particularly useful for school or work purposes

Gourmet Mon Petit Tempting New Fish Recipes with Cod Sardine and Salmon Wet Cat Food (Pack of 8)

3.0 out of 5 stars Delicious but Dear, 30 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have three adult cats and each one loves Gourmet Mon Petit, no doubt about that. Everything gets eaten and the bowls licked clean. So as far as taste is concerned - a wonderful product and one that, I assume, is also pretty good as far as health and nutrition are concerned. Having said that, the cod natural fish content appears to be very low at 4%; the rest is made up from what Purina refer to as 'meat and animal derivatives' and 'fish derivatives'. It also contains various sugars and yeasts. Indeed, only 4% of each of the salmon, cod and sardine variants contain salmon, cod or sardine. Which seems a bit of a con given the labelling, and - in particular - the price.

But the cats don't pay the bills - I do, and that's the issue I have with this product. Earlier this year I tried another Purina product (Purina One), the cats loved that as well and I thought THAT was pricey at around £4.40 per kilo. But Gourmet Mon Petit? Wow, it's currently way way over 6 quid a kilo, not a lot less than gold bullion I think. To put this into perspective, the cat food we regularly buy is Vita-Cat from Aldi, it's nothing special but the cats like it and it's less than £1 a kilo (in tins), so the cost difference is huge.

If like me you have several cats and you're on a tight budget as far as making ends meet, then Gourmet Mon Petit will have your bank balance looking very 'petit' in a worryingly short time. If you have one cat and you want to give him or her the best, and you can handle the expense, then go right ahead, your cat will be delighted.

CyberLink PowerDVD 15 Ultra (PC)
CyberLink PowerDVD 15 Ultra (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good if you want extreme flexibility and options, 30 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
PowerDVD 15 Ultra has a number of premium features that you won't find with freely available programs, such as Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray playback, DTS output, and it utilises audio exclusive mode (WASAPI) for bit-perfect audio output during movie playback. Personally I was mainly interested in its audio capabilities, specifically its ability to play VCDs. I have had a master recording from McIntosh that I bought from the USA nearly a decade ago - unaware at the time that it could not be played in a CD player - and I was eager to listen to it. Listening is free of digital interruptions with PowerDVD's Exclusive mode of the Windows Audio Session API (WASAPI). It blocks non-critical system sounds, and allows for dedicated media output to speakers, even for FLAC, MP3, and WMA file formats. Support for lossless pass-through of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD assures a premium listening experience, whether in dual, 5.1, or 7.1 channel playback.

In the end, it does way more than I need it to in my case, but I can't knock it - it's probably the best of its kind and the eyebrow-raising price is therefore justified. You get what you pay for. Not only have I no experience with previous versions of this product, I have no experience with anything like it at all, so my observations will be of very limited use to anybody. I do recognise however that it offers way of watching or listening to almost any type of digital media, and for that it deserves a nod of approval. Ultimately not necessary for most ordinary people, but great for those who want extreme options and flexibility.

Danielle Creations Safari Easel Mirror, Pink/Black
Danielle Creations Safari Easel Mirror, Pink/Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Rather nice, on reflection, 29 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The design is pretty and eye-catching. The material which holds the mirror is well made, soft, shiny and smooth. The material is quite thick and can protect the mirror screen well, however there is no strap or buckle or anything like that, which allows the cover to flap over at any time, unless held shut between the fingers. The cover can be folded into a stand - it props the mirror into a position where it is resting against the case, and you do not need to hold it to look into the mirror as you can see in the product image. Overall, my opinion of the cover of the mirror is that it is made of good, strong material, protects the mirror screen and is designed well.

The quality of the actual mirror is very good. I was a little concerned at first when I opened the case to see the mirror; it looked rather dirty and had several scratches across it. Thankfully this was because it was covered by a thin protective screen film, and after peeling this off, I found that the mirror is very clean and sharp in quality.

I would recommend this product to young teens or under as the design may appeal to them.The size of the mirror is roughly the same as an A5 piece of paper so it's not exactly pocket sized. This could be useful on a dressing table, and although it is of course portable it seems more likely to remain in a bedroom.

Overall, I like the product, but I would suggest giving consideration to its size before purchasing.

Fates and Furies
Fates and Furies
by Lauren Groff

2.0 out of 5 stars Read it fast, made me furious, 25 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Fates and Furies (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This felt like grandstanding by the author, doing her best to show how versatile her prose is and showing off the depth of vocabulary. The publishers and those involved in promoting the book have gone massively OTT in their bigging-up of Fates and Furies such that I for one had just about the highest expectations I have ever had as I started the first page. I was expecting something incredible, something memorable, a landmark in 21st century literature and what I got was something annoyingly over-written with characters that were difficult to care about or engage with surrounded by a story that I've all but forgotten already.

It might have been better if the marketing people had written "this book's rubbish" on the back cover, because expectations would have been very low and I might actually have enjoyed it more than I did. It just underlines the importance of honesty and credibility in the blurb; there really is no point in over-hyping a book because readers will come down hard in their reviews and sales might be lower than they would otherwise have been.

This was a story that I could only tolerate, there was very little to enjoy anywhere and the bottom line is : I didn't like it.

And what a daft name : Lotto. That was a nuisance from start to finish.

The Man Who Watched Women
The Man Who Watched Women
by Michael Hjorth

5.0 out of 5 stars Up there with the best Scandinavian crime fiction, 20 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In some ways this isn't the most original story in the world, with a highly intelligent psychopath in prison pulling the strings in the outside world and his nemesis a troubled and complex psychological profiler. Shades of the two doctors Hannibal Lecter and Tony Hill, then, but only shades. Then there's the copycat serial killer, not the first time I've read a novel about one of them!

But it's still very, very good in just about every way. It's hard to really like central character Sebastian Bergman, but he's always interesting and at times unpredictable. Around him in Stockholm's elite homicide unit 'Riksmord' are his boss Torkel Hoglund, forensics specialist Ursula Andersson, along with detectives Vanja Lithner and Billy Rosen. Other key characters include prison governor and ex-cop Thomas Haraldsson and another former detective the now semi-retired Trolle Hermansson. Almost all of the characters, including the killers, are referred to throughout the tale by their first names in both dialogue and narrative; personally I prefer last-name use in novels such as this, especially the baddies. It seems to be almost friendly to call a multiple killer 'Edward' and in doing so slightly softens the reader's take on the man. The curious thing is, there are many characters in this novel yet it's hard to really like or really dislike any of them despite the fact that engaging with them is easy. Few of them are boring, which is a relief, but none of them really stir the emotions.

The constant impression as far as the story-telling is concerned is thorough professionalism. This was clearly written by someone (or is that two someones?) who really knows how to write this kind of fiction. The translator Marlaine Delargy deserves credit for doing at least two crucial things: not making it feel like a translation at all, yet at all times retaining that distinctive Swedish feel and identity. Some translators 'over-Englishise' Scandinavian works - I'm thinking of the books by Jussi Adler-Olsen as an example - but there's never so much as a hint of that here. The tale has been designed, I assume, to be converted into a film or TV series and it's easy to see why this would get the financial backing to make that happen. There are all sorts of things going on, all kinds of relationships both personal and professional, and although Bergman isn't the most magnetic of front-men he's still strong enough and different enough to carry the burden of a book and a screen adaptation.

My only real criticism is that I think this story deserves a smarter title. It's a highly intelligent piece of writing and its title doesn't give that impression. If a film is ever made, I hope the title is changed.

In summary this is a story to admire and respect but for some hard-to-define reason one that is not easy to love. But it's still one of the best of its kind that I have read for quite some time, and I strongly recommend it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2015 5:45 PM BST

AmazonBasics 100% Cotton Single Duvet Cover Set, Bold Checks with 1 pillowcase
AmazonBasics 100% Cotton Single Duvet Cover Set, Bold Checks with 1 pillowcase

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, basically, 16 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The AmazonBasics name-tag suggests this might be cheap and nasty but it most definitely is not. It's an attractive and well-made duvet cover with pillow cases that is immediately very pleasant to fall asleep with. The pattern is slightly bolder than the images portray, and is simple, contemporary and flexible. Being of 100% cotton the quality is good and the early impression is that the material is also durable and long-lasting.

The feel is cool and smooth, always welcome at this (supposedly) warmest time of the year. It doesn't strike me as being exceptionally cheap at its launch price but it's a very good duvet set and it's unlikely to disappoint the online buyer who, as with clothes, has to take something of a leap of faith until the item arrives. I would say that you can buy this with confidence, and if I needed another I would buy this one again.

Ultrasport Women's Rainbow Compression Capri Pants - Black, Small
Ultrasport Women's Rainbow Compression Capri Pants - Black, Small

3.0 out of 5 stars Vibgyor, 3 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My daughter found these rather tight around the calf just below the knee. They're good for running in because of the ventilation allowing air to flow through around the knee area. However they're not particularly comfortable; my daughter would have preferred them to be a bit longer, reaching closer to the ankle. Maybe that's a personal preference but the point is made. The quality of the material is good, it feels good in the hand but once worn it feels rather tight, tighter than would have been preferred. I would suggest a size-up when ordering. It has a useful little zip pocket at the back, enough to hold a little bit of cash (notes, ideally) or maybe for storing an iPod Nano or something like that.

AmazonBasics 19-Inch (48 cm) Two-Door Top-Load Pet Kennel
AmazonBasics 19-Inch (48 cm) Two-Door Top-Load Pet Kennel

5.0 out of 5 stars For the transport of smaller pets, 24 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is very easy to assemble, it takes barely five minutes with the use of a Philips screwdriver and doesn't require much physical strength; in this case it was put together by my daughters aged 15 and 12. The product comes in three pieces (thus making the delivery box smaller than expected) - the top and bottom half plus the door. In keeping with previous 'Amazon Basics' experiences this is of course basic, functional and simply hard to fault. There are six screws too. The price is not known at the time of posting this review but it will be competitive.

There are two sizes to choose from and this one is the smaller 19-inch version. We have three cats - sadly our fourth one passed away last month - and in terms of size they are small, medium and large. The small and medium sized cats fit into this Pet Kennel comfortably but the largest was not compatible. He could have been put in it but it would have been too tight a fit and for him we would definitely choose the larger 23-inch version. As it is, even for a small cat (or similar sized animal) it's a tight fit with barely enough room to turn round. A medium-sized cat can stand up inside but only just. It could accomodate two kittens with ease.

One unusual and very welcome feature is the option to insert the animal from the top as well as from the front. Some cats can be very reluctant to be put into portable carriers and having the option to lower your pet down from above could make life easier for everyone concerned and could save you a few scratches. The top lid is almost the full width and depth of the carrier so it's easy (in theory!) to lower your pet into the Pet Kennel and quickly put the lid on before he/she realises what's happening. This is a great idea, not unique but for cats in particular it makes a lot of sense.

It's hard to criticise the product, especially for carrying a small pet for what will probably be a relatively short journey, such as to the vet. It's not made of high quality materials but it seems tough and durable enough to last several years. It's all about getting what you want at a good price, and in this respect it definitely does that, as the price is bound to be reasonable.

Cellfade Skin Enhancement lightening Cream 50 ml
Cellfade Skin Enhancement lightening Cream 50 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Lighten up, 22 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I may be one of the few male reviewers to use this cream but that's because I was attracted by the claimed benefits, which in my case meant reduced colouration of liver spots on the backs of my hands. Having followed the simple instructions and applying the cream twice a day I can confirm that this product does work. The spots haven't disappeared but I expect them to; so far I would suggest that there has been a reduction of more than 50%.

I'm not completely sure if I like the smell however. It's difficult to describe it - possibly a bit like lemon washing-up liquid - and I suppose the result will always be a combination of the cream itself and the person it's applied to! Maybe I don't like my own B.O.

It's main purpose though is to lighten the skin where dark spots exist, and having used it for about a week now I have no problem in saying that "it does what it says on the tin". Well, the box anyway.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20