Shop now Learn more Shop now Up to 50% off Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now Halloween Pets Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Learn more Shop now
Profile for O E J > Reviews

Content by O E J
Top Reviewer Ranking: 192

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Ohuhu 72-color Art Colored Pencils/ Drawing Pencils for Artist Sketch, Set of 72 Assorted Colors
Offered by OhuhuDirect
Price: 34.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh!, 4 Oct. 2015
There's a huge range of colours in this set, for example there are over nine different shades of green. The quality of the pencils is brilliant, as they blend together smoothly, and they don't break or chip when being sharpened. In the set, there are bright, eye-catching colours and also there are darker and richer shades.

My favourite part of the collection is the wide variety of colour choices. The colours come out clear and vibrant, unlike the set of colouring pencils I bought a while ago from my local stationery shop. I also like the way this company arrange the pencils in the box which is why I decided to keep the pencils in there so I can see the significant difference in shades of colours and so I can also keep them all together and organised.

I'm very happy with the outcome of these pencils. At first, I thought that these were very expensive, but after doing some research , I've found that for the quality I have got out of these, they are quite well-priced.

Overall, I've really enjoyed drawing and generally experimenting with these pencils and I hope to eventually produce an actual artistic piece! I would definitely recommend this set to anyone who either has art as part of their career, or is taking art exams, etc etc. I think this would also be a lovely gift for someone as the colours are great and so is the packaging!

These pencils were provided at no charge by Ohuhu in return for an honest review.

Rainbow Designs - Cuddly Snowman for Newborn (White)
Rainbow Designs - Cuddly Snowman for Newborn (White)
Offered by The Global Trader
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars He'll melt in your mouth, 4 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We've named this little chap 'Baby Sidney', because 6 years ago when my daughter's first tooth came out, the tooth fairy gave her Sidney as a present. He is absolutely identical but much, much bigger - when she was six, my daughter was about the same size as 'Big Sidney' and he has been a permanent companion in her bedroom ever since. So when the chance came up to introduce a son to Big Sidney, we took it!

Baby Sidney is gorgeous and adorable. He's squidgey, he's cuddly, he's cute and simply loveable. Yes, he's small, so he's probably best suited to a very young child and I'm sure he'd be perfect for taking out and about, which he would enjoy immensely.

Katy Perry Mad Potion Eau de Parfum 50 ml
Katy Perry Mad Potion Eau de Parfum 50 ml
Offered by Gordons Direct
Price: 29.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Perry nice, 4 Oct. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Starting with the box, I was less than impressed because the bottle of perfume literally fell out before I'd had a chance to try and open it, and it was just luck that I caught the bottle before any damage was done. The internal parts of the box are weak and insubstantial. To be honest I have a strong feeling that I was sent a 'pre-owned' example; it's hard to say if the perfume itself had been used, but the box looked second-hand, outside and inside. So immediate impressions were disappointing but in fairness I was probably unlucky and this is not something a buyer of the product can expect to happen.

Much more important, of course, is the actual product. It's quite small and even a bit slippery to hold, easy to drop I would imagine. And 50ml seems a bit mean given the current price - the box gives the impression that you get more than you actually do. The three ladies in myfamily were in agreement on the smell of the perfume - lacking in any defined character and the word 'vanilla' does seem appropriate. It's probably a scent better suited to the age group of many within the Katy Perry fan base, by which I mean pre-teen to mid-teen. It's not really a 'grown-up' scent, it does seem one likely to be liked and used by young girls. It's inoffensive, a little bland, and compared to others such as Kylie Minogue Darling, Katie Perry Purr, Hello Kitty, Zoella Blissful Mistful and So....Kiss Me (all aimed at much the same target market) this 'Mad' Eau de Parfum didn't get in the top three and might even be last choice - yet there's nothing wrong with it, it's just that it lacks that spark of identity that all of the others possess. If you like it sweet and subtle, this might be for you.

Four stars though for being likeable rather than just 'okay'.

Case Logic Arca Protective Carrying Case for 10-Inch Tablet - Black
Case Logic Arca Protective Carrying Case for 10-Inch Tablet - Black
Price: 19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but basic, 28 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a protective carrying case - and nothing more. For carrying an iPad or a Kindle, or any tablet up to 10 inches, it does provide good protection thanks to good cushioning within. It looks pretty smart too.

But it's surprising to find that it offers no added extras of any kind. For example, it would have made very little difference to the manufacturing cost to include at least one internal or external pocket for papers, train tickets and the like. In a way such things are almost conspicuous for their absence. The simplicity of this product makes me think of the concept of AmazonBasics, but it's a branded product and I do think a potential buyer has a right in such a competitive market to expect even one simple accessory.

Pehaps the first thing you would expect upon opening this case is a sleeve into which the tablet slides so as to prevent it from slipping out of the case. But there really is nothing at all. You put the tablet in the case with no means of protecting your device, and this is a weak point because in most cases the tablet will be carried 'naked', by which I mean without its own protective case. As we all know, many tablets such as the iPad and the Kindle HDX (both of which I used for this review) are quite slippery, and I fear that in a busy or crowded environment it would be easy to drop the tablet during the insertion or removal process. You'd need to be very careful, that's for sure.

Once inside and with the case zipped up, no complaints. Protection seems of a high standard and I would be confident that in the event of a drop onto the ground, the tablet would not be damaged. You get a removable shoulder strap as well, which can be adjusted to suit different preferences. There is a thin strap for carrying the case without the shoulder strap if preferred.

A good and well-made carrying case, then, but it could be better. It would not surprise me if there are alternatives that offer more for the price. In summary, this is smart and attractive, it provides good protection but it's short on specification and should offer more.

Tefal DR8085 Access Steam Handheld Steam Brush
Tefal DR8085 Access Steam Handheld Steam Brush
Price: 53.37

3.0 out of 5 stars For very occasional use, 27 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
After a brief examination and even briefer 'test run' I asked She Who Must Be Obeyed to give this odd device a more professional assessment. In summary, she later said "I don't like it, it gets very heavy after a few minutes and I prefer ironing".

The mains lead is a decent length and after filling the water tank (which is removed for this purpose) I switched it on, rather sceptical that it would reach full operating temperature within the claimed 60 seconds - but it achieved it in well under a minute, about 35 seconds I think. So that seemed like a promising start. I tried it on a jacket that had a few creases in it and my positive first impression quickly faded. Can't say that I found it heavy, but within a couple of minutes I did find myself thinking that it was rather pointless. That was when I handed it over to the expert.

She was less impressed than I was. It most definitely does eject a fair bit of steam, but the benefits are hard to see, much less obvious, for example, than its obvious rival : an iron. My wife is extremely fit and healthy but she just didn't like it, mainly because she found if heavy and cumbersome even without any water - although there's not a lot of difference in weight either way. Tefal claim that it's handy for 'garment care on the go', I can only assume that they mean you won't need an ironing board. The device itself isn't particularly more portable or convenient to carry than an iron, but fair's fair : you don't need anything else to use it so I guess its best benefit is probably for 'on the go' use, whatever that means. But I expect most people will use it within their home, and if they do have an ironing board (I accept that not everyone does) then it's hard to find a convincing case for this steamer.

That leaves the less-than-urgent application of 'sprucing up', as Tefal puts it. Personally I regard sprucing-up as a compromise and would rather the garment was prepared in the best possible way. And this device is no panacea for those who want fast, last-minute creases removed from a shirt for example. Improvements are rather minor and not achieved particularly quickly.

So yes, it IS a hand-held steamer and it does heat up very quickly, but I can't see it being used very often. If I had another five minutes (if that) I would get the ironing board out and use the iron. This does, in theory, avoid the need for either of those things but it doesn't do the pressing job anywhere near as well. As for the more prominently claimed benefits of refreshing garments, bedding and such like, personally I would prefer to wash them as the differences this device make are really rather small.

Yakult 100% Metal Handheld Shower Head L-style High Pressure Single Function 2.0 GPM Luxury Hand Shower Chrome
Offered by Yakult
Price: 28.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive and well-made showerhead, 27 Sept. 2015
This is stylish in a contemporary way, solid and well-made but not too heavy, and with its standard fitting can be installed in a few seconds. The speed and power of water expulsion is only slightly greater than the shower head it replaces, but this is down to the source of the water pressure. It's possible to increase the 'water power' by covering some of the holes with your finger or thumb but the difference is modest.

The finish is chrome but it is actually made of brass; only considerable time will tell how long the chrome effect will last. Initial impressions are very good.

The manufacturer claims that this showerhead offers a 2 gallon per minute flow rate which saves 20% in water usage when compared to a standard showerhead. I have no way of measuring flow rate so it's not possible to verify this, although I am inclined to agree that water usage is probably lower.

There are many showerheads to choose from, this is a nice one and I expect its style will be a deciding factor. I've given it 5 stars, something I don't do very often, and that's mainly because I cannot report any negatives. In my case I accepted an offer from Yakult to review this product without charge, the above comments are my own honest views.

Lenovo G50 15.6-Inch Notebook (Intel Core i3-4005U 1.7 GHz, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, DVD-RW, WLAN, Bluetooth, Camera, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8.1) - Black
Price: 319.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Top value, 27 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the second G50 for me in just 3 months, the previous one also having the i3 4005U processor, and this happily means that both of my teenage daughters have almost identical laptops so that's one parental headache avoided.

Compared to my own laptop, the very obvious and pleasing benefit of this Lenovo G50 is its almost dead-silent operation. It's bordering on the unreal; I had to buy a laptop cooler for my own machine but no such problems with this new one here. It's also satisfyingly slim and light, making it as portable as you could hope for in a 15'6" laptop.

Of course it's often difficult to write about something like this and completely ignore the operating system, since the OS is such an influential factor. All I will say is that the Lenovo came with Windows 8.1 and we did an immediate upgrade to Windows 10. It took a long time but the feedback has been totally positive. Having had a brief try of W-10 I can see why people often describe it as a sort of combination of 7 and 8. Personally I have stuck with 7.

The plus points of the G50 are as follows :-

* Nice screen - large, bright and clear although not actually HD
* Thin physical size (less than 1 inch when lid down)
* Easy and convenient to hold
* Very quiet in use
* Excellent sound quality
* Decent webcam/camera
* Good SQ via microphone
* No problems with Bluetooth connction - always reliable
* Very good wi-fi connection from distance (opposite ends of house)
* Nice, intuitive keyboard
* Fantastic storage capacity of 1Tb
* Above average RAM of 6Gb - probably the best feature of all
* Decent battery - lasts three to four hours regularly

The only negative is the trackpad which I'm simply not keen on, and whenever possible a wireless mouse is used. To be fair I feel the same about my own laptop which cost about 1500; I can't remember the last time I used any laptop with a trackpad/touchpad that I truly liked.

But I'm very happy with the Lenovo G50, I really love its silent operation and light weight, and it's great in the RAM and storage departments. The current price makes it outstanding value for money and I would expect this to be a very popular model.

Honeywell CZ2104EV1 Heavy Duty Heater
Honeywell CZ2104EV1 Heavy Duty Heater
Price: 48.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Functional and convenient, probably best suited to garages/workshops/sheds and such like, 26 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not quite sure why this is called a 'giant', or even 'heavy duty', because one of its better points is its light weight and portability. It's not particularly attractive in a sort of military grey, which only serves to underline its purpose : to heat up spaces that tend to have little or no heat supply at all. Examples that come to mind are (small) garages, workshops and sheds. It really isn't designed for use in the home, although there's no reason why it could not be used domestically. It would be very useful for any professional person working in cold weather for long periods in a house or office that is being built or repaired.

There are two power settings, 1250 and 2500 watts plus a third for cool air. If you're wondering if you can save energy with a portable electric heater, the answer, unfortunately, is no : you cannot save money this way. All portable electric heaters will consume the same amount of electricity and produce the same amount of thermal heat, relative to power input. The only difference will be in how they deliver the heat, e.g. fan heaters are a good choice for quick heating of specific areas of a room, as you can direct the heat. So energy efficiency, and more to the point comparing different products for this benefit, is not really relevant.

With a built-in safety cut-out should the unit be tilted or fall over, a cable that is 6 feet (1.83 meteres) long, and the facility for cool as well as warm air, this is a basic but handy fan heater for working purposes, i.e. for the creation of warmth in unheated rooms. It seems reasonably well-built and durable (not sure about the 'heavy duty' tab though), has a number of safety features to protect children and comes with a three-year guarantee. Its best feature is possibly its light weight and the ease with which it can be carried around. Its stated weight is 1.8kg.

Thule Atmos X4 Case for iPhone 6 Plus - White/Dark shadow
Thule Atmos X4 Case for iPhone 6 Plus - White/Dark shadow
Price: 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best iPhone 6 Plus case on the market, 20 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Thule Group is the owner of a collection of brands (one of which is König) all related to the outdoors and various types of transportation solutions. Thule - originally a Swedish company - makes everything from car roof boxes, bike racks, roof racks, snow chains, boat and horse trailers, to laptop and camera bags and backpacks. And now phone cases.

As far as I know, Thule make phone cases for just one manufacturer - Apple - and they have made sure that the quality of the finished product not only meets with the high expectations of iPhone 6 Plus users but also the standards associated with Thule a brand leader in its various fields.

Even the box it comes in is impressive! It has a magnetic catch on the front to keep the flap closed and it's probably worth keeping. The case itself is made in China and to a very high standard, provides 360-degree protection from shocks and drops yet is very thin and light considering the security it offers. The StratoShield (as it's called) provides a claimed five-times improved protection than the iPhone screen, the ShockStop means you can drop the iPhone from a height of up to 2 metres, FunctionPlus gives easy access via metal buttons and its Bi-Component Armour despite being very thin provides exceptional physical protection. Whether the phone is dropped onto a very hard surface, or if something small but very hard is dropped onto the case, your iPhone 6 Plus will be as well cared-for as it could possibly be.

Style is a matter of individual taste but personally I like it, it looks cool and very much in keeping with one of the best phones you can buy.

I used a new iPhone 6 Plus belonging to a good friend of mine in order to evaluate the Thule Atmos case, and it's so good it has made me very tempted to change phones completely. The rubber grips on the side make it difficult to drop the phone and at 45 grams it doesn't add a lot of weight. Thule has done a great job here, yes it's expensive but the best usually is.

Bronze Collection Non Stick Sauce Pan and Lid, 16 cm
Bronze Collection Non Stick Sauce Pan and Lid, 16 cm
Price: 9.14

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 20 Sept. 2015
It's a cheap saucepan, and the economies that are involved mean, in this case, that it's easy to burn food without regular monitoring. This is because the base is relatively thin so the time taken to reach maximum temperature is (or can be) very rapid. Also the distribution of heat is rather uneven. But it's cheap and cheerful, so don't expect the same performance or simply the same level of user satisfaction as you would get with a better quality (and possibly 'household name' brand) alternative. Okay if your budget is tight; it feels reasonably well made.

Good value, but not much else to shout about.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20