Profile for Linny B > Reviews

Content by Linny B

Linny B (Suffolk, England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Replacement
The Replacement

5.0 out of 5 stars Another triumph for Patrick Redmond., 18 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Replacement (Kindle Edition)
I recently reviewed The Wishing Game and the well deserved five stars I gave it were thanks to Patrick's incredible characterisations. The Replacement is equal if not better in terms of the chilling yet believable cast.

As the Randall family and their various friends, enemies and colleagues interact, I found myself cringing sometimes at such disordered minds at work beneath a veneer of wealth, stability and normality. And just as you get used to one character, and form an opinion, the author changes the lens and suddenly everything is different. Lordy, this book will keep you on your toes!

The story itself is gripping, and whilst the behaviours of the main characters can be extreme at times, it's totally believable - worryingly - because such people do live among us. People from all backgrounds who have a sense of entitlement, and lack empathy, yet can dazzle us with their charm. A psychoanalyst would be kept busy for years if they met this lot!

The Wishing Game
The Wishing Game

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing talent., 9 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Wishing Game (Kindle Edition)
If you like your characters to have depth, and to be completely absorbing, this is the book for you.

A well crafted story that draws the reader in from the first page. The oppressive atmosphere of Kirkston Abbey and the development of all the characters stays with you even when you have finished reading.

Word of warning - if, like me, you enjoy reading a 'few pages' before you go to sleep - you may want to think again. 'A few more pages' soon becomes 'just another chapter', and you'll find yourself switching the lights off at 2am and appearing for work bleary eyed the next day.

Have already started 'The Replacement' which I am enjoying just as much. Definitely an author who's entire back catalogue I am going to be downloading over the next couple of months. I hope there is much more to come.

First Beginnings (Penn Lake Wolves Book 1)
First Beginnings (Penn Lake Wolves Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 15 Oct 2013
I confess, I kind of purchased this book by accident - the whole werewolves & vampires thing passed me by, but thought I might as well give it a go.

And so glad I did! This author really knows how to set a good pace and keep the book moving along and maintaining interest. As I say, not usually my sort of book at all but was the sort you just can't put down (just another chapter...!)and can stay up reading half the night.

The characters are well drawn and you soon find yourself immersed in the story and caring about what happens.

Looks like I'll have to buy book two now, and have just noticed that book three has just hit the market!

Archie's Diaries - Tails from the Dog House
Archie's Diaries - Tails from the Dog House

5.0 out of 5 stars Archie Rocks, 22 Aug 2012
I knew this wasn't going to take long to read - its only a few pence after all - but I didn't realise how much I would enjoy it. There is no 'storyline' as such here, just a diary of everyday events as seen through the eyes of a real character. When I say everyday events, I just hope for Archie's owners' sake that some of these stories have been grossly exaggerated or entirely fabricated! This book is simply written but because of this I really came to understand how much Archie must be loved by his family, despite his crimes. Great photos, just a shame you can't see them so well on a kindle. Will go and see if I can find an Archie blog somewhere to get a better look at him.

The Toleman Story: Last Romantics in Formula 1
The Toleman Story: Last Romantics in Formula 1
by Christopher Hilton

4.0 out of 5 stars A better story to come...?, 18 Jun 2012
As the previous reviewer has said, this does not give a 'race by race'guide. There are probably places on the web where one can find out this sort of information. This is instead a very condensed view of how the Toleman Group came to be in Formula One as a very small fish in a big ocean, the upstarts struggling against the odds. So it does not contain lots of facts and figures, but attempts to give an overview of what drove the directors of a car delivery company to set up their own racing team.
So, I would not say this book is a waste of money by any means - just be aware that you are buying the story of a quirky, unique little racing team, and not a long list of technical data on cars, or results, or lap times.
However, I can only hope that one day someone will write the REAL Toleman story - the story of the family, the business, the involvement in powerboats, the Branson connection, the complex characters of the men at the top, and the dreadful tragedies that followed. Now THAT would be some book....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2012 3:52 PM GMT

Horse Behaviour Exposed
Horse Behaviour Exposed
by Abigail Hogg

5.0 out of 5 stars The No 1 horse behaviour book, 15 May 2012
I have purchased a few books recently on the theme of horse behaviour and the relationship between human and equine. This is in my opinion by far the best, most clearly explained book and whilst it advocates ensuring that training, riding and keeping horses should be as natural as possible, it doesn't attempt to persuade the reader to adopt the techniques of a particular trainer (although one name did come up a few times, but it wasn't overdone.)
I am fascinated by horses and ride whenever I can. If at some point in the future I am lucky enough to be in the position to become an owner, this book will be my 'bible'. I'm a novice but I've always suspected that many of the training methods and the way we look after horses was inadequate and sometimes downright cruel. If you also suspect that there must be a better way, read this book, you won't be disappointed.

Here is Wosdom
Here is Wosdom

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm......., 15 Aug 2011
This review is from: Here is Wosdom (Kindle Edition)
Didn't agree with everything Robert said, and no. I'm not offended in the least. So Robert, I'm sure you won't be offended when I say that I disagree with other reviewers to an extent. To me, this was just some kind of vanity publishing project from someone who likes the sound of their own voice - who of course, is entitled to their own opinion, but I can get rambling opinions on a variety of subjects by tuning in to some of the dross reality shows on television. I can see what he was trying to do, ie, promoting independent and intelligent thought - but too often went off into long diatribes about what HE thought. And as for the exclamation marks!! Good grief!! I thought they must be breeding somewhere in the inner workings of my kindle!!!! I mean really!!!! Way, way too much use of them!!! Get my drift!!!?
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2011 9:48 PM GMT

Horse Book and Horse Training - Everything You Need To Know About Horse Training - Discover The Secrets to Becoming An Expert Horse Trainer (Horses)

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 3 Mar 2011
I have just asked Amazon for a refund against this item.
Whilst I don't mind finding a few grammatical errors or typos in a book, I don't expect errors to litter practically every page, making it very annoying to read.
There is not much to it either - I spent about ten to fifteen minutes reading this last night and have covered 48% of the content. I expected some sound advice on professionally training horses, but this is mostly, in my opinion, just a load of waffle. For instance, having several paragraphs which basically state (and I'll cut this down to what they were actually saying) that if a horse is afraid of say, the running water of a river, and becomes reluctant to continue, don't keep kicking it and being mean, talk to it soothingly and pat it a few times.
You don't exactly need to be an 'expert' to use a bit of basic common sense surely?
I don't know if this was some kind of 'vanity' publishing project, but if so, I hope Amazon will be a bit more careful about what they accept in future. If this was not vanity publishing, get a new proof reader.

Coming Up For Air
Coming Up For Air

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 28 July 2010
This review is from: Coming Up For Air (Audio CD)
I write this several months after buying the album - and let me tell you, my appreciation of it just grows and grows. Still not bored after many plays, I find some new depths to the fantastic guitar solos on this album every time. For me, Davy is head and shoulders above the 99.9% of utter drivel I hear on the radio at the moment.
Buy it and enjoy.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
by John Boyne

5.0 out of 5 stars A shattering read., 7 Mar 2007
By writing this book from an unusual viewpoint and drawing us all in as voyeurs to Bruno's discoveries, Boyne has succeeded in bringing the nightmare of the holocaust into the here and now and making us a little uncomfortable about the current state of the world.

Although this is a very different book to 'Birdsong' and with different subject matter, it is the only other book so far which has been able to elicit the same range of emotions in me. Stunning.

This book should be compulsory reading in all secondry schools.

Page: 1 | 2