Profile for Fay Marshall > Reviews

Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home
Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home
by Nigella Lawson

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it! Rubbish!, 29 Jun 2012
I want to say that I have read every Nigella and really admire her as a person but this book just isn't good enough.Some good points is that the baking is really good and the stuff I have made have been nice ( I can think of better baking bookings though) and the pasta potato pesto recipe was really nice. But if you want to read something worthwhile then go to How to Eat. It's literally like she goes downhill with every book she publishes! such a huge shame! I feel she has got to lazy in her style. She used to be all for enjoying cooking no matter how long or complicated it was. Now I feel she has just got lazy and her taste buds too "trashy".That tortilla lasagne makes me feel sick! Using pre grated parmesan and disposable tins isn't a mark of a good cook or eater as she calls herself. Some of the ingredients are bit 'cheat' too. Maybe it's just not my kind of food. The format I just don't understand and would have trouble finding anything. It seems to be bulked out by a lot of pointless recipes too. Though I did like her gadget hall of fame!

Such a shame I will probably still buy her next book though just because it completes the collection!

Short and Sweet
Short and Sweet
by Dan Lepard

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect! Just get it!, 22 Jun 2012
This review is from: Short and Sweet (Hardcover)
I was dithering about getting this book for a while because of its expense (I'm a student and everything seems a massive expense to me!) I wish I had not worried and just got it because it's one of the best baking books out there. It will have a lifetime of use! I love the fact that there are things which are quite 'classic' but Dan has his own twist on them to make them so much better. For instance the marble cake which is in a lot of the books I already own, but which he adds a chocolate crumble on top! So no matter how many baking books you have this will always offer something different! I have used it as reference to check if Dan has a better method than the one in the book I am currently using ( for instance lemon curd and meringue) and he often does. I know what people mean about the cover but I like that it feels like a fiction book and find it quite refreshing from the highly stylised books on the market currently .