Profile for K. Spielmann > Reviews

Debenhams Kids Black Unisex Knitted School Uniform Jumper Age 12-13
Offered by Debenhams
Price: 8.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted one week., 25 Sep 2013
I bought two of these sweaters for my 12 year old son. By the end of the first week of school, one sweater had about 5 holes in it, in the armpit and along the neck seam. The second sweater is now into its third week of wear and has developed 3 small holes. I do not think they are repairable so I will need to go somewhere else for more robust sweaters. Very disappointed in the poor quality.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
by Helen Simonson
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe it was published., 25 Sep 2013
I read this book for my book club; otherwise, I would not have bothered finishing it. I could not believe it was set in current times. I cringed my way through the whole book, as the characters racist sexist and classist attitudes were offensive throughout. I live in a little village, and did not find this story in any way believable. Every character was an unrealistic stereotype. The attitudes reflect mindsets of about two generations ago and are at least fifty years out of date, and they were offensive then. Would you give this book to an Indian friend to read? I think not.
I did enjoy some of the writing style and think this writer might be capable of writing a good book if only her attitudes weren't stuck in the past and rooted in stereotyping.

Patagonia Torrentshell Mens Waterproof Jacket - L, Black
Patagonia Torrentshell Mens Waterproof Jacket - L, Black
Offered by RacingThePlanet, The Outdoor Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Good rain jacket, 25 Feb 2013
I ordered this jacket for my husband. It is simple but good looking in style, lightweight and packable. He has used it for everyday use, walking, hiking and bicycling, and it is good for all of these. Patagonia is an expensive brand, but things we have had in the past have lasted many years. We have only had this a few months but it seems well made and I hope it will last a long time.

Professor Kageyama's Maths Training (Nintendo DS)
Professor Kageyama's Maths Training (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Renaissance
Price: 9.95

4.0 out of 5 stars good math practice, 24 Feb 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
My 7 year old son and I do the Daily Test on the Maths Training nearly every day. Although they are very easy for an adult, it is good practice and fun to try to do the test as quickly as possible. It is ideal math practice for my 7 year old son, enabling him to practice a little math in less than 5 minutes, starting easy and gradually getting more challenging. He also does Practice Exercises occassionally to reinforce the math he is learning at school, for example a specific number in the times tables. He was reluctant to play Maths Training at first (after all, it isn't exactly Pokemon) but when I joined in and sat next to him at first for a bit of encouragement and help if he got frustrated, he started to enjoy doing this for a few minutes most days.
My 5 year daughter is not quite ready to use this for learning, although she wants to. When she has a better understanding of adding and subtracting numbers to 10 she will be able to start using this to practice and improve.
I would recommend this for children above age 6 as a way to practice, improve and enjoy a bit of daily maths including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, and for adults wishing to brush up on these areas.

Paper Fashions (Klutz)
Paper Fashions (Klutz)
by Editors of Klutz
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars fashion fun, 20 Jan 2009
My 5 1/2 year old daughter received this as a gift. I was very skeptical as I don't like fashion and I thought she would be too young and need a lot of help with it. But after a little initial help, reading, explaination, and assistance with the first creation or two, she has been able to do this on her own. As she is a child who must constantly be creating things, ie cutting, drawing, writing, making, this is an ideal art activity for her, and it holds her attention for quite a while. She loves the tiny clothes hangers and making the little outfits to hang on them. She surprised me by being able to do the quite careful cutting this kit requires, then carefully glueing her outfits together and sticking them into a booklet she made to keep them in. She likes making up different outfits with different colors and patterns. She has had her dad and me make an outfit or two with her and we both enjoyed doing it and the nice results we managed even though we have no interest in fashion. My daughter can't yet read the book that is part of this kit but she looks through it a little to look at the pictures. It is good art/craft activity for busy little girls as well as older ones, as long as the child is good with scissors (proper ones not the little kid kind).

Potty Time (Usborne Baby's World)
Potty Time (Usborne Baby's World)
by Fiona Watt

2.0 out of 5 stars Potty Time avoids its subject, 15 Mar 2003
I was very disappointed when I received and read Potty Time. I would not have purchased this book had I looked it over in a bookshop. First of all, it talks about nappies as being soggy and smelly, negative reinforcement as motivation for potty training. Secondly, it shows the toddler playing with the potty, while completely avoiding any mention of the bodily functions which should be central to any book about potties. My toddler loves Once Upon a Potty, which talks about his body and what it does. He is not interested in this book, despite its bright illustrations. This is not a helpful book for potty training.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 13, 2011 9:05 AM BST