Profile for Dogfight > Reviews

Content by Dogfight

Dogfight (Innerspace)

Page: 1 | 2
High Grade DAC - Digital / Optical to Analogue Stereo Audio Converter - SPDIF - TOSlink / Coaxial to Stereo Left / Right RCA - iCables®
Offered by MACRO.SUPPLIER

5.0 out of 5 stars Solved my problem perfectly, 9 Oct. 2012
This device does exactly what it claims to do and does it well. There are several alternatives costing quite a bit more whilst inhabiting suspiciously similar boxes. Of course it crossed my mind that this was somehow a cheap & nasty copy designed to con the imprudent buyer, but this is not the case. The build quality is very good and the sound quality is exactly as I'd hoped it would be. The unit currently sits between an AppleTV and a NAD amplifier, powering a pair of Quad 12L's (with the source material being lossless audio files). And it sounds great!

One footnote: when the AppleTV is switched off and the amplifier volume is turned up full, there is a whistling noise - which disappears instantly the AppleTV is powered on. A similar noise appeared when I unplugged the optical cable for a moment while there was power on (everything). A reset (power off, power on) restored the unit to normal operation. I do not regard this as a problem in any shape or form.

If I need another, I will buy the same device from the same seller.

SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 I9300 GEL CASE COVER BLUE - PART OF THE CONSUMER STORE® ACCESSORIES RANGE

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost great. Almost., 24 July 2012
I have a preference for gel cases as they tend to sit very well on a phone and offer great protection. This one is pretty good: it affords good grip (on a particularly slippery phone!!), it doesn't add much volume to the phone and fits extremely well (with ample room around each cut-out hole). And for this I highly recommend this case. (I've used it for a few weeks already). However...

One star is lost due to the case NOT being the same as displayed in the picture (I detest when this happens). Instead of an even transparency (so that the back of the phone can be seen through the case, as implied by the picture) the flat part of the rear is a large matt surface, surrounded by a glossy (transparent) edge. Definitely not as attractive as shown.

The second star goes because the power button (on the right) and the volume buttons (on the left) lose all sense of tactility with this case. I find myself repeatedly pushing the power button before the phone turns on. But by far the worst issue is that the volume buttons seem to "stick" sometimes, such that if I try to turn the volume up one or two clicks, the level actually gets turned up to full blast ... or down to silent when I try to turn it down a click or two. It may be possible to take a scalpel to the gel covering the buttons to see if this improves the situation - and it isn't much money wasted if it doesn't work out.

Purple Floral Design Hybrid XYLO-GEL Skin / Case / Shell for the Apple iPhone 3G / 3GS Mobile Phone.

3.0 out of 5 stars So-so, 21 Aug. 2010
A reasonable cover, but I am inclined to agree with the other (somewhat negative) reviewers. The purple is a really nice colour, but the picture on Amazon is extremely misleading - the flowers and butterflies are virtually invisible.

IPHONE 3G / 3GS / 3G S SUMMER SERIES - AQUA BLUE PART OF THE QUBITS ACCESSORIES RANGE

4.0 out of 5 stars The Business!, 21 Aug. 2010
Bought this for my wife, along with a blue and a purple model. The bright green with diamond pattern looks fantastic and she is extremely pleased. The only issue (minus 1 star) was that the hole for switching the phone to silent mode was too small to use (strangely, neither the blue nor purple models had this problem). A slight adjustment with a pair of nail scissors did the trick and now all is well.

COVERS CASES APPLE IPHONE 3G 3GS PURPLE SPIRAL BACK COVER CASE Accessories for mobile phones by Oliviasphones
Offered by OLIVIA'S PHONES

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 21 Aug. 2010
The picture looks great and there are some very positive reviews, which led me to buy this for my wife. But this case is an utter waste of time and cash.

As far as protection goes, it will protect the rear of the phone from scratches but the screen is totally exposed to damage - there is not even a ridge around the edge (as you get with gel/silicone covers) to deflect drops, etc. I haven't tried an impact test, but I suspect the fairly flimsy plastic will not take too many bashes.

Its bright purple with spiral pattern might appeal to some magpies who like shiny things, but for all practical purposes this is an utter waste of money.

Logitech Dinovo EDGE Bluetooth, PC / Mac, Keyboard
Logitech Dinovo EDGE Bluetooth, PC / Mac, Keyboard

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks fab, functions less well, 15 July 2010
From the start I wanted this to be the the dog's b's, the most fabulous keyboard I'd ever owned. It certainly looks the part...it's utterly beautiful. It's also a real pleasure to type on it. And the added functions (little mouse pad, volume control, etc) are just dandy.

But in daily use, it's become a white elephant...a right pain in the proverbials! My issue? Well I put my computer into Hibernation every night...uses no power, and on wake-up I am ready to take up where I left off yesterday. However, Mr. Logitech diNovo Edge doesn't like to wake up in the mornings. Computer starts, but I can't logon as it seems there is no connection. I have to attach a cheapo USB keyboard to my PC to type in my password.

Occasionally, the Edge will come strolling into play some long minutes later, and occasionally I have to use the Device Manager to uninstall the driver, and then reinstall. Kinda defeats my "quick start to the day" strategy.

So now I have 2 keyboards permanently attached to my computer.

And then we come to the software. Bloatware at its most bloated! I'm guessing logitech have bundled every single one of their drivers (every product) into a unified program. Furthermore, I found my wireless mouse (also Logitech) began exhibiting strange behaviour...sometimes it would become "sluggish", not reacting to movements or button presses. I wondered if there could be a conflict between Edge bluetooth receiver and mouse receiver. However, removing (uninstalling) SetPoint did the trick, and the mouse now functions normally. And it doesn't affect any of the keyboard (FN functions, volume, etc still work).

Anyway...the keyboard. For the price, I would expect a faultless experience...which I am most definitely NOT getting. The daily frustration is most assuredly not worth it, and I would not purchase this keyboard again.

Logitech diNovoEdge Keyboard
Logitech diNovoEdge Keyboard

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks fab, functions less well, 15 July 2010

So now I have 2 keyboards permanently attached to my computer.

The Silent State: Secrets, Surveillance and the Myth of British Democracy
The Silent State: Secrets, Surveillance and the Myth of British Democracy
by Heather Brooke

5.0 out of 5 stars Something is rotten in the state of...Britain!, 12 July 2010
This book achieves the aim of informing anyone who wants to listen about the dreadful state of affairs in the UK at the present time. Unfortunately, until these topics are hitting the headlines of the national dailies, I don't think anything will be done. The bureaucrats featured in this book are allowed to get away with their nonsense simply because people don't care. Large-scale apathy and willingness to put up with crap mean the grey-men-in-grey-suits have nothing to fear.

But perhaps, just perhaps, the right person will read this book and decide to DO something about this messy business. Imagine that...an honest politician, working FOR the people s/he represents. Such a person might even motivate eligible-but-apathetic voters to actually USE their vote (even sensibly). Such a person might assemble a cabinet of upstanding, forthright men and women to push through reforms and build a fair and efficient society. No more petty, self-serving, anonymous bureaucrats getting away with blue murder. No more snouts in the trough! Accountability, responsibility, rationality.

Oh well...back to reality...

50 Economics Ideas You Really Need to Know (50 Ideas)
50 Economics Ideas You Really Need to Know (50 Ideas)
by Edmund Conway

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 12 July 2010
I really enjoyed this book. It's an easy read, and can be dipped into whenever the mood takes. There are perhaps a few quibbles here and there, but nothing that really detracts from the book at all, and I don't hesitate to give it the full 5 stars. I have bought a few more books in this 50... series, and I really hope they are as enjoyable as this one.

Yo, Blair!: Tony Blair's Disastrous Premiership
Yo, Blair!: Tony Blair's Disastrous Premiership
by Geoffrey Wheatcroft

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb summary of a morally bankrupt monster, 12 July 2010
I must admit that I never liked Tony B. Liar (colossal understatement). Right from the start, his studied facial expressions struck me as extremely contrived. The author seems to detest his subject as much as I do, and in my opinion does a great job of demolishing the ex-PM.

I think this book is still relevant, and will be for many years to come...if only to serve as a warning to future voters (and party members!!!) to look a little deeper at the candidates, and decisively reject superficial, calculating, self-serving and despicable little men (I want to use a different word, but this is a family site) like Blair.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2010 6:35 PM GMT