Profile for doublegone > Reviews

Cole & Mason Wood and Glass Croft Wooden 12 Jar Herb and Spice Rack
Cole & Mason Wood and Glass Croft Wooden 12 Jar Herb and Spice Rack

4.0 out of 5 stars The rack itself is of good solid feeling wood, 20 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Twelve herb-filled jars sitting in a wooden rack .

The rack itself is of good solid feeling wood. It has non-slip rubber feet at each corner. A metallic "Cole and Mason" plate on the front looks a little nasty in my opinion.

The jars are all good quality glass. The lids also feel nice and solid and rotate to three points - closed, fully open or partially open for a controlled sprinkle.

Herbs supplied were oregano, coriander, fennel, thyme, sage, cinnamon, basil, marjoram, rosemary, mint, parsley and chilli flakes.

While it is nice to receive jars full of herbs this does rather commit you to the selection here. The jars not only come with herbs in them but with the name of the herb on the lid. It strikes me that each cook has a different repertoire and would choose a different dozen ingredients. I can't see me ever using much marjoram for instance. Clearly the jars can still be filled with whatever you like but at this price I don't really want to be putting a sticky label over the top of the permanent inscription on each lid. I would have preferred emty jars and a method of labelling them with the names of my own desired herbs.

That aside this is a sturdy and pleasing spice rack, but for what it is, it does seem a little expensive.

NOCO Genius Boost UltraSafe GB30 Jump Starter 12 V Lithium
NOCO Genius Boost UltraSafe GB30 Jump Starter 12 V Lithium

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for small engines, useless for large., 20 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an excellent gadget in every sense so long as you understand its limitations. In short: It works well for small car engines but not for larger ones.

I tested it on my Nissan Note and it was easy to use and started it up no problem. However, it would not start my brother-in-law's BMW or my friend's Audi. Found another friend with a little Fiat and again it worked fine.

So only consider buying if you have a small car. Beyond that though it is easy to use, very compact and handy to have in the boot. Chages via USB and seems to stay topped up for quite a while.

Made in India: Cooked in Britain: Recipes from an Indian Family Kitchen
Made in India: Cooked in Britain: Recipes from an Indian Family Kitchen
by Meera Sodha

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over Madhur and Anjum...there's a new curry kid on the block., 14 Dec. 2014
This is an outstanding Indian Cookery book. The recipes are fantastic. The instructions are detailed and precise. So many books are not and it drives me nuts! I need to know how hot, for how long, lid on or off.....she never lets you down.

Everything here is foolproof and most recipes contain ingredients you'll find in a small supermarket anywhere in the UK. A few items are more exotic but the results so good they are definitely worth the effort of tracking down.

I really recommend the pickles and chutneys. The mango chutney and garlic pickle in particular are sensational. I keep giving jars to friends and they go into raptures about it.

There's a good balance of veggie to fish to meat.

I have a lot of Indian cookbooks and this is one of the very best. Beats a lot of the big name writers hands down.

My Friend Cayla
My Friend Cayla

3.0 out of 5 stars Neat idea but imaginary play may be more fun., 19 Nov. 2014
This review is from: My Friend Cayla (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Don't buy this unless you have a smartphone or tablet that connects to the internet!

If you do, you download the app to your device and then link the doll to it via bluetooth.

Its a neat idea, when it works. We found it only worked about half the time, whether the signal wasn't good enough or you didn't ask your question clearly enough.

The app is easy to use. Some features don't need an internet connection, eg playing games but children will want to ask it questions and we found ours became a little frustrated.

She has a necklace that glows when she is ready for a question. You need to hold her fairly close so the microphone picks up your question.

You have to manage the child's expectation. They may think they are going to have a conversation with Cayla but that is not the case unfortunately.

So long as you understand how the doll works and her limitations, she is reasonably good fun. I was left wondering if a plain dolly and the child's imagination might be a better combination though.

ESSENTIAL FOODS Nautical Living Dog Food, 12.5 kg
ESSENTIAL FOODS Nautical Living Dog Food, 12.5 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars A five paw score in our house., 8 Nov. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is difficult to know how to review this kind of thing. The dogs aren't able to give me their thoughts in detail. :)

There are two of them and one of them can be fussy when presented with new food. They both went about this with enthusiasm though and always finish the lot.

It looks to have all the right nutrients and they are thriving on it.

From my point of view, the only thing I can say is that it smells quite fishy, but I don't expect dog chow to be fragrant.

Very nutritious, convenient to store food that the dogs love to eat. What more can I say?

Ultrasport Men's Seamless Thermo Base Layer - Black, XX-Large
Ultrasport Men's Seamless Thermo Base Layer - Black, XX-Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm and breathable., 13 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a change from my usual Helly Hansen base-layer choice.

A top and bottom combo that I use for tough outdoor activities, or day-to-day winter underwear, and for sleeping in on those particularly cold nights.

I found it very comfortable and it does everything I would ask - keeps me warm, and is breathable to keep me dry.

Some things about it puzzle me or seem irrelevant however. First of all that pattern. When you put it on you feel like a minor superhero with all those muscle patterns on it. They don't serve any purpose. They don't bother me but some people might feel a bit silly.

The blurb makes great claims that the garments are seamless. This is not the case. There are loads of seams. They don't bother me but they are there. I have never found seams on any base layer to be a problem.

The washing instructions appear on the garments, for instance across the wasteband of the bottoms so that there is no label. Fair enough but again, I have never had a problem with labels in a base layer.

Happy enough with this base layer set but do feel they might be inventing problems to solve. Might be just a tad pricey.

Leitz Wow A4 Ruled Notebook - Metallic Pink
Leitz Wow A4 Ruled Notebook - Metallic Pink

3.0 out of 5 stars Am I missing something here?, 13 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
No idea why the company thinks people will pay this much for a notebook like this.

I don't mind paying more for an especially beautiful or luxurious notebook like a Moleskine or similar, but this one has me at a loss. It is a perfectly servicable but ordinary lined notebook offered at a luxury price the spec just does not justify. You could walk into any stationers and pick up something similar for a third of the price.

Ringbound lined paper between two plastic covers. Inside the front there is a flimsly plastic ruler. Inside the back a plastic pocket.

The colour is not metallic. It is just pink

Vax Dual Power Total Home Carpet Cleaner
Vax Dual Power Total Home Carpet Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally rejuvenated carpets - no fuss., 13 Oct. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A simple and affordable carpet cleaner from the ever-dependable Vax people. I found this light and easy to use. Very pleased with the results, if a little mortified by the colour of the used water!

Easy to carry from room to room and up and down the stairs. The dual rotating brushbars lift stubborn, deep down dirt from your carpets. The twin tanks separate clean water from dirty water, and it is easy to fill and empty.

This cleaner features a 30 cm wide path nozzle enables you to get into awkward areas without moving furniture. It comes with a pre-treatment kit for a concentrated clean of tough stains before you wash. It also features a long reach hose for cleaning stairs without carrying the machine.

Delighted with this. Carpets totally rejuvenated.

I Really Hate My Job [DVD]
I Really Hate My Job [DVD]
Dvd ~ Neve Campbell

2.0 out of 5 stars Straight to video and with good reason, 2 Oct. 2014
This review is from: I Really Hate My Job [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Despite a marvellous talented cast I found this 2007 movie rather tedious and laboured. I think the main reason is that the script is dialogue-heavy and far too pleased with itself. They have set out to make a breezy little comedy with heart but fallen well short.

Five women work a stressful night in a Soho cafe. All have other hopes and dreams - the novelist, the actress, the revolutionary...but are confined together in their less than galmorous day jobs.

Two matters hover over proceedings in a bid to create some kind of dramatic tension - the impending arrival of a famous actor who has booked a table, and the increasingly regular appearance of rats in the restaurant. Meanwhile the characters collide into each other, usually in pairs or trios, exchanging far too trite philisophical observations. Subtle it is not. I welcomed the arrival of each rat with some relief as at least the writer could not put preposterous words in its mouth.

A waste of excellent actors. Not funny enough. I advise a wide berth.

Mother India at Home: Recipes Pictures Stories
Mother India at Home: Recipes Pictures Stories
by Monir Mohammed

3.0 out of 5 stars Just give us the recipes!, 29 Sept. 2014
This is a beautifully put together book and the following review is going to seem a bit mean spirited. I don't mean it to be but I am frustrated by its lack of focus, and the fact that its usefulness is compromised so much by its form. It is over-elaborate, over-expensive, over-fancy and ill-suited to the task of being a practical cookery book. In short - JUST GIVE US THE RECIPES!

Mother India and related restaurants are a byword for excellence in Scottish Indian food. There is no doubting of that. I, like many others I am sure, approached this book with the singleminded intent of having me some of that fabulous food from my own hob. The book has other ideas. The book also wants to give you a family/business history over several decades, and show you some nice photography by a friend of the restaurateur. So take note of the sub-title: "Recipes - Pictures - Stories", They are not kidding!

The recipes themselves are generally good. There is a slightly annoying lack of precision at times. We are often told to do things for "a few minutes". This is slapdash to me. Either tell me exact time to fry or simmer or whatever, or tell me what to look for to know the time is up. Most home cooks will use tinned chickpeas over dried, so it would be useful to have amounts given for these and not just a dried weight.

The recipes come in a wide variety from traditional classics through to those with a modern twist. There is a good balance of meat and veggie too. The recipes if contained in a smaller, cheaper more robust book would receive four or four and half grateful stars from me.

But as I say, there is also considerable space given over to the restaurant history, and the photography.

Monir Mohammed tells in some detail the story of his efforts in the restaurant business, through triumphs, bankruptcy, shifting locations and tastes. It is reasonably interesting but not compelling, The photography is perhaps the oddest bolt-on. Martin's Gray's images cover not just the restaurants and their staff, but the cities where they are located in the widest sense. I realise the chef feels it appropriate to set this book about his businesses in the wider context of their communities but it seems to me that many readers might prefer more curry and fewer snaps of people in parks or on tenement streets.

It might seem churlish to mark down this book for looking so good and having high production values, but I want cook books to be made for the rigours of the kitchen, not the coffee table. Its so pretty you worry about getting it splashed and spattered.

The high watermark for me when it comes to restaurants sharing their recipes, is Prashad Cookbook: Indian Vegetarian Cooking . Mrs Patel gives a foolproof blow by blow account of how to make exceptional food. I wish Mr Mohammed had done the same.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20