Profile for Suzy > Reviews

Content by Suzy

Suzy "Swedish-Irish bookworm" (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
Real Elves: A Christmas Story (Emily Castles Mysteries Book 5)
Real Elves: A Christmas Story (Emily Castles Mysteries Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars A real treat!, 26 Nov 2014
This story was gorgeous, funny, quirky and totally enchanting. I was smiling from ear to ear as I read it and chuckling to myself. But then I'm a huge fan of Helen Smith's writing and she never fails to entertain. An enchanting, heart-warming story. I received the story from the author as a gift.

Death by Times New Roman (Cat Kavanagh Mysteries Book 1)
Death by Times New Roman (Cat Kavanagh Mysteries Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A cracking read!, 10 Oct 2014
As with all of Douglas Carlyle's books,I was pulled into the story from the first page. But this is a different and brand new style of story; a fast-paced thriller with a fabulous new heroine.

Cat Kavanagh promises to be a woman whose adventures you want to read about again and again, this first one taking off like a rocket. There are no slow passages in this story, as reading it is like riding in a fast sports car taking the twists in the road at break-neck speed. Enthralled, I kept turning the pages wondering what would happen next and who could be the murderer, until it came to a screeching halt at the very last page.

But the engine is only idling, the driver revving up for the next adventure. I keep my seat belt fastened, in case he takes off again when I'm not looking.

Cat Kavanagh promises to become the new Superwoman with a difference. A heroine with a heart and true human feelings.

I was given a review copy of this book and it was the best assignment for a long time. Bring on the next adventure!

Midnight Sky
Midnight Sky

4.0 out of 5 stars A great romantic escape, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Midnight Sky (Kindle Edition)
I loved this story, the characters and the setting. I was immediately pulled into the story from the very first page. Jan Ruth has a way of creating a world you want to keep going back to and I looked forward to reading a bit of it each evening. The writing is lovely and fluid and the dialogue excellent.

Highly recommended.

Chosen Heart (The Hart Series Book 1)
Chosen Heart (The Hart Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good read., 1 Nov 2013
It's hard to write a review about this book without introducing spoilers so I will try not to. I enjoyed this book and I liked the heroine straight away. Her emotional turmoil is very vividly described and I rooted for her all through the twists and turns of the story. I didn't much like MR James at the beginning but then I found myself as drawn to him as the heroine, which only proves the quality of the writing.

A well written story with many surprises, a warm heart and lots humor which makes the reader want more.

Boundaries
Boundaries

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Boundaries (Kindle Edition)
I can only give five stars to this book. I'd give it more if I could. It's probably the most intriguing, fascinating story I have ever read. Although very long, it held me spellbound to the very end. Douglas Carlyle is a master storyteller. He knows how to bring the reader through winding roads, hairpin bends and vertiginous slopes.

Boundaries is a thrilling, chilling tale of how the mind can be manipulated and controlled. It is also very deceiving at the start, where the author lulls us into actually liking Mickey and being happy for Diane that she has found such a man after the death of her husband. But then, little by little, we come to understand that he has another agenda...

The first part of the story takes place in Asia. The setting is described in such vivid detail that you feel the torrid heat, the tropical winds and taste the food. The sex scenes are sensual, languid, seductive. The violence is so shocking it makes you gasp.

The second part, set in Texas, is probably the best part of the book. Here we get to see the result of Mickey's betrayal of Diane and the intricate way he sets out to destroy her. Will she be able to fight back? Can she wake up from this nightmare? I was glued to the latter part of this story in such a way that it occupied my mind all day, until I could pick it up again.

The story is shocking, riveting and truly compelling, in every sense. If you want to be jolted out of your humdrum daily existence- read it! Not for the faint-hearted but truly for the more adventurous reader.

I was gifted this book before publication by the author, for which I'm very grateful

Reclaim My Heart
Reclaim My Heart

5.0 out of 5 stars A sensual love story, beautifully told, 11 July 2013
This review is from: Reclaim My Heart (Kindle Edition)
Donna Fasano's latest book is a wonderfully compelling story with real heart. I was hooked from the beginning and really identified with the heroine, Tyne, a single mother struggling with the difficult task of bringing up a teenage son. The reappearance of Lucas, the father of her son and the long-lost love of her youth, was told in a realistic and sympathetic way. The Native Indian theme added depth and a certain spirituality to the story. I loved the way Zach learned about survival skills from the old uncle and how he, through this, was taught the real values of life.

The central love story is the most beautiful part of this book because of the undying love between Tyne and Lucas and how they found each other again.

A lovely,truly romantic story I highly recommend to all fans of romantic fiction.

Four Days with Hemingway's Ghost
Four Days with Hemingway's Ghost

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Winton has done it again!, 1 July 2013
Tom Winton's Beyond Nostalgia is one of the best book I've read in a long time. After reading it, I was hooked on this author's truly magic writing. I went on to this book and I was not disappointed. Although different to to his debut novel, I was delighted to discover how he has grown as a writer. A very interesting, complicated book with a real heart. I'm now addicted to Tom, darn him!

Tulagi Hotel: A World War 2 Novel (World War II Adventure Series Book 4)
Tulagi Hotel: A World War 2 Novel (World War II Adventure Series Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 29 Sep 2012
I bought the paperback version of this novel.

The story of Jack McGuire and his struggle to pick up his life after the challenge of being an ace pilot during WWII is beautifully written. When he goes back to the Pacific to carve out a life there, trying to find again the excitement and romance of his wartime experiences, he meets many challenges. And when Kay Wheeler arrives, his newly ordered life is disturbed. This is an absorbing, compelling story and I couldn't put it down. Adventure, excitement, tragedy, romance and engaging characters, this novel has it all.

Being Light: A Screwball Comedy
Being Light: A Screwball Comedy

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as delightful as Alison, 16 Feb 2012
I read and loved Helen's previous book, Alison Wonderland and was delighted to be given a copy of Being Light. Just like the previous work, this book is highly entertaining, with the same quirky humour and wonderful prose as the first one. It held me spellbound right through, until the very end.

Highly recommended to lovers of unusual fiction.

Diary of a Small Fish
Diary of a Small Fish

4.0 out of 5 stars A very stylish page turner, 21 Nov 2011
This novel has all the ingredients that makes a great read; an endearing main character, an intriguing plot, a compelling love story and a wry humour that makes you laugh out loud at times. Pete Morin manages to draw the reader into the story on the very first page and you bond with the people in it very quickly.The writing is so good I found myself trying to read slowly to make it last longer. I am looking forward to more books of the same calibre by this author.

Page: 1 | 2