Profile for Jonno > Reviews

Noah [DVD]
Noah [DVD]
Dvd ~ Russell Crowe

1.0 out of 5 stars What a shame, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Noah [DVD] (DVD)
I've sat through some appalling films in my time, and ...this is one of the worst - everything that could have gone wrong has gone wrong. Save your money & time.

Those In Peril (Hector Cross)
Those In Peril (Hector Cross)
by Wilbur Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Hector Cross - the next chapter, 18 Feb. 2013
Just in case you are interested - the Italian translation of the NEW Hector Cross book is out now (Feb 2013) here in Italy - I'm not going to reveal ANY of the details except its possible title - "Blood vendetta" (if the publishing house stays literal) - but WHY is it available in Italian first ?

Fly Away
Fly Away

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but no cigar, 26 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Fly Away (Audio CD)
So here is their 3rd album - a change of direction was hinted at, and so it turned out to be - there will be those of you who review the album on the basis of the songs you like / don't like but this, I would say, is missing the point - the fact that YOU don't like "Blowin' in the wind" ( and personally I don't !)is beside the point - so that's me told, then - the question should be : are the girls still singing well ? It seems to me that on this album more space is given over to the individual voices, and while they are undeniably very talented I feel that their true magic lies in the way that they combine - our cd collections at home are awash in cds by the likes of Faryl, Andrea and Hayley singing the well-known songs ( Ave Maria / Panis Angelicus / Moon River etc etc ),so we really need something that is either different or that is head and shoulders above the rest - and with their first two albums All Angels really did wow us all. The girls were contracted to do 5 albums and so it will be v interesting to see where they go with no. 4 - far be it for me to say what type of music they should interpret but I vote for more stuff from films ( What could they do with "Down to the river to pray" from "O brother where art thou ?" ), but I will try to judge them not on what they song but how they sing it. Their first two albums are, in my book, just divine. This one is good but doesn't play to their strengths.

Album 3
Album 3

5.0 out of 5 stars The suspense......, 5 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Album 3 (Audio CD)
I appreciate there is nothing more annoying than a review for something that hasn't come out yet by somenone who hasn't heard it BUT I just wanted to tell you what a know : just twenty four days to go and still no track titles ! I was lucky enough to meet the four girls just over a year ago and they told me they had been thinking about ( and I quote ) "completely changing direction " for future releases, so who knows what type of songs will be on this, the third of the five albums they had originally contracted to do - personally I think they should do some more renditions of songs from films.....

All Angels
All Angels
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't you just love the warmth of the music ?!, 2 April 2008
This review is from: All Angels (Audio CD)
I had the pleasure of listening to the girls singing in York Minister last week - have been to a few concerts in my time ( been there, done that etc etc, says this jaundiced 46 year old ) - but this was the only time in my life that I was moved to tears by music : they were simply sensational. As for the cd, well, we can all argue about which tracks we like and which tracks they should have ( not ) done - we all have our favourites - but you can only admire the way they have interpreted the songs, and I truly believe they offer something new to them - buy the album, if only for the four final notes of "Songbird".
If, after listening to their music, you still don't like it, then I suggest you upgrade your hifi.
And another thing : buy 2 : you will wear one out through constant listening !