Profile for Oliver Foster Standring > Reviews

Content by Oliver Foster ...

Oliver Foster Standring

Robot Works
Robot Works
Offered by SourceMediaUK
Price: 2.96

5.0 out of 5 stars bsm style taken to its furthest point of excellence so far, 4 Feb 2010
This review is from: Robot Works (Audio CD)
Il keep this short and sweet, I first heard wintermute at Leeds fest 07, opening one of the stages on the first day. I knew from the opening riff that they fit in real nice with my taste in indie/ post hardcore. all jangly riffs, finger tapped melodies and yelped vocals. I saw them twice since then (braindance fest and with second smile and meet me in saint louis at the dry dock in leeds) its taken me this long to get hold of their album. Ive had it for 5 days and have listened to it at least 3 times a day since it arrived. No album in recent history has had anywhere near this much airtime from me, at all.

Sadly the band have now broken up, but if you are a fan of the angular thrashing indie stylings of secondsmile or meet me in st louis, or any of the current roster on Big scary monsters, you should love this. Its on sale right now at bsm, go buy it for the love of god. its sooo damn good.

The Rules of Attraction
The Rules of Attraction
by Bret Easton Ellis

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant peek into a tangled web, 15 Feb 2008
This was the second book by Easton Ellis that I read (after american psycho) and focuses on the complicated lives of three characters caught up in a nasty love triangle (square? pentagon?) It slowly leaks information regarding the personas and backgrounds of the characters and does a good job of drawing you in, and putting you behind their eyes so to speak. For me the best thing about Ellis' works are the way the characters are linked, for example, one of the three primary characters in the rules of attraction, Sean Bateman, is the the brother of American psycho Pat Bateman (Sean stars in that book, for about 4 lines, and Pat is mentioned in this) Likewise, the love of one of the other leads lives, Victor, is the main character in Glamourama. These links are ingenious and very subtly deployed. From the second I clocked that Sean was Pat Batemans brother, I was hooked, and read all the rest of Easton Ellis' novels. I havent been dissapointed with a single one of them. Whilst this isnt as good as American Psycho, it stands alongside Glamorama, and above less than zero. A worthy read!

EP C/B EP
EP C/B EP
Price: 10.75

4.0 out of 5 stars a good deal, 7 Feb 2008
This review is from: EP C/B EP (Audio CD)
I dont really agree with the guys that gave this one star, nor the one who gave it 5. The truth is that yes, there are tracks that people would label filler on these two cds, but its easily worth it for the proper tunes availible on it, especially the first and last tracks on ep b, which stand up to the best songs that battles have written. even the "filler" tracks are good to listen to if youre not expecting some three minute pop song (or even a more traditional battles sound). All in all this double pack is well worth the money (especially if you get it new and used) Go for it!