Profile for Bookworm > Reviews

Content by Bookworm

Bookworm

World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth)
World Without End (The Pillars of the Earth)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Aug. 2014
Excellent sequel to The Pillars of the Earth.

The Fibromyalgia Solution: A Breakthrough Approach to Heal Your Body and Take Back Your Life
by David Dryland MD MD

5.0 out of 5 stars The best I've read so far..., 17 Nov. 2013
A very comprehensive book on the subject of Fibromyalgia and how best to keep it under control or even improve things.

Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain
Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain

5.0 out of 5 stars What an Adventure, 28 Feb. 2013
Our next book club topic is 'The Great Outdoors'. Having trundled through pages of suggestions on Amazon, I thought 'Free Country' sounded interesting. My husband has cycled the end to end twice now and so I know something about the journey - although to be fair his seemed to involve cycling from cake shop to cake shop! I downloaded this book last night and finished it late this morning. It was a really good read. The whole concept of starting out on this journey only in boxer shorts and nothing else and not being allowed to purchase anything along the way had me smiling to begin with. The book is well written and very funny - I have been laughing out loud. The people George and Ben met, the situations they found themselves in and the unstinting generosity of so many is heartening to hear about. I thoroughly recommend this book - you don't have to be a cyclist to enjoy it - it is genuinely entertaining.

The Eagle and the Wolves: Cato & Macro: Book 4: Roman Legion 4 (The Eagle Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Addicted to this series, 8 Feb. 2013
My husband bought me The Eagles Prophecy for Christmas. I started reading it on Christmas day and I really loved it. You can imagine my delight when I found out this was a long series of books. Having a Kindle I began at book 1 and am now half way through book 9, The Centurion. They have all been excellent but, if I have favourites, the Eagle and the Wolves and When the Eagle hunts, are the ones. These adventures of Macro and Cato, the main protaganists of this series of books, are set in Britain and trace the attempts by Rome to conquer the British tribes. Every book has been exciting and the auhtor's research and knowledge about the Roman Legions is extensive and adds to that excitement. I can't rate this series of books highly enough and know I am going to be very disappointed when I have read the last one!

I'm the King of the Castle
I'm the King of the Castle
by Susan Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Runined by errors, 8 Jan. 2013
I read this book on Kindle and my reading experience was totally runined by the huge amounts of errors. Nearly every page has spelling mistakes, words missing, punctuation errors, totally the wrong word...the list goes on. I do not recommend the Kindle addition of this book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2014 8:11 AM GMT

Within The Castle Walls
Within The Castle Walls

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish., 2 Jan. 2013
This book was absolutely awful. I have read better school essays. The grammar and punctuation were appalling and a number of sentences did not make any sense at all. Don't waste your money.

Going with Gabriel
Going with Gabriel

5.0 out of 5 stars Gabriel - the messenger of good news?, 29 July 2012
I first came across this book when I met the author at a Highland Games event and downloaded it that day! I found the subject matter quite un-nerving, based as it is on a considerable amount of fact; we do live in an over-populated world which we are in the process of destroying. The main character, Gabriel, is a complex mix of artist and scientist. Having initiated an unstoppable programme of infertility upon mankind he drops out to travel the road with his friend Sonny, making music.

This is a well written book and I appreciated Bryan Islip's descriptive ability which had me totally involved with Gabriel's dilemma, with his desire for anonymity and his ultimate loss of control over his own life, deprived of the woman he loves and his friends. The characters are well drawn and the third person, present tense narration increased the pace of the story and developed the tension.

Farlands, a suggested resolution for an over-populated world going to the dogs, sent chills down my spine. A life for the chosen few - hard luck on the rest!

A thought provoking read which I absolutely recommend.

They Shall Not Pass: The British Battalion at Jarama - The Spanish Civil War
They Shall Not Pass: The British Battalion at Jarama - The Spanish Civil War
by Ben Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars Bookworm, 27 Aug. 2011
Just finished this book and I couldn't put it down. I know little about the Spanish Civil War but I like the way the author has concentrated the action around the involvement of the British volunteers and the 3 days of the Battle of Jarama. He has also focussed on some of the main protaganists resulting in an emotional involvement with these men and all that they fought for and endured. Ben Hughes is a very good storyteller and I found myself caught up in the bravery, courage and sheer dogged determination of the British volunteers to fight, mostly with out-of-date and inadequate weapons, to the bitter end. Their losses were huge but still they battled on. It was also satisfying to discover in the epilogue the fate of those who survived. A book well worth reading.

Conquer or Die!: British Volunteers in Bolivar's War of Extermination 1817-21 (General Military)
by Ben Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars Bolivar's Forgotten British Volunteers, 30 Sept. 2010
This book takes us into the lives of the British men who sailed to take part in Bolivar's libertation of Gran Colombia, both officers and rank and file. It illustrates the appalling conditions in which these men (and sometimes their families) lived and fought, and far too often died. It is clear the author has carried out an impressive amount of research and he succeeds in bringing to life a forgotten war. Ben Hughes is a fine storyteller and this is a cracking good read!