Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for bikeman666 > Reviews

Content by bikeman666

bikeman666 (UK)

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars colour is wrong, 18 May 2014
Daughter was a bit disappointed that the colour of this tie is purple and not red/maroon as it should be.

JavaScript: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
JavaScript: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals)
by David Sawyer McFarland

3.0 out of 5 stars More jquery than javascript, 6 Nov. 2013
I quite enjoyed this book however it should more correctly be called 'jQuery - the missing manual' because the subject matter is berymuch jQuery and there is precious little about javascript in it.

JQuery For Dummies
JQuery For Dummies
by Lynn Beighley

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 10 Jan. 2012
This review is from: JQuery For Dummies (Paperback)
On almost every page this book wastes half the page with repitition of a screenshot and the text "creat a web page containing the following code:" It them gives you a small snippet of jQuery code to add and then moves on to the next example.

Despite the chapter titles almost every chapter of the book is taken up with details of jQuery plugins. Detail is perhaps the wrong word to use since there is precious little detail, there is no explanation of how to use each plugin just info about what the plugin can do.

Three chapters are taken up showing how to integrate jQuery into Drupal, Joomla and Wordpress. Quite how each warranted a whole chapter is quite amazing.

There is also chapters on Ajax plugins and 10 not to be missed jQuery plugins.

In short there is nothing of substance in this book.

Belkin 5 Port Network USB Hub
Belkin 5 Port Network USB Hub

3.0 out of 5 stars not fit for purpose, 1 Sept. 2010
I bought this in preference to a NAS drive as I already had two usb hard disks.

The unit works very well with my windows xp pcs although It's write speed is very slow. Ok for normal use but I like to keep weekly copies of all my files but find that making a duplicate copy of 'my documents' folde now takes hours rather than minutes.

Everything I've tried connected via the hub have worked except for my old parallel port printer (via a lpt to usb cable) which appears in the control panel but wont accept proint jobs.

However, the unit doesn't work at all with my vista pc. I can connect to a device but within 30 seconds or so it stops responding and windows explorer crashes. I have searched the internet for a solution and tried everything from upgrading the firmware, to disabling automatic powering down of usb ports, to using an alternative to the supplied control software. Nothing has worked.

The unit is completely unusable with Vista. I wish I had discovered this sooner as it is now too late to return it.

TomTom Start 3.5" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps
TomTom Start 3.5" Sat Nav with UK and Ireland Maps

4.0 out of 5 stars Great entry level sat nav, 11 Jan. 2010
POSITIVES

+ Quickly logs onto satellites
+ Unlike cheaper units this will recalculate your route if you divert to avoid a holdup - this was a clincher for me + You can update maps with no entry restrictions, one ways, points of interest (POI) and road speeds.
+ Well supported product, lots of 3rd part POI lists and unlike cheaper units you will be able to get map updates.

NEGATIVES
- Whilst there are lots of POIs some obvious ones that I wanted are missing; supermarkets, public toilets, pubs (a few are included as restuarants.
- It looks like TomTom's POIs are affiliated with their business partners; I noticed that all 600 branches of a motor factor I've never heard of are included, as is mcDonalds.
- Speed camera alerts are a bit weak - there is an audible alert and your speed/the road limit does flash in red but I think I'd like it to be more obvious.
- Speed cameras don't show up as POIs on the map and it is not possible to add missing speed cameras. You can of course add a camera as your own POI but it wont appear on the map and you wont get alerted as you approach it.
- The touch sensitive screen is good but the unit really does need a pointer, I use an old pen and it's a lot easier.

Overall I am giving this 4 starts because a) I've not had it long so it may have issues that I am not aware of and b) I am aware that it's an entry level model. I purchased the TomTom Start in preference to a £50 no make or Binatone on the basis that it would do the job and that I could get map updates; I am pleased I paid the extra £40.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 21, 2012 12:12 PM BST

Line 6 Pocket Pod Guitar Modeler
Line 6 Pocket Pod Guitar Modeler

3.0 out of 5 stars ok but some issues, 11 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Line 6 Pocket Pod Guitar Modeler
Positives

+ Has a wide selection of Amp models - they are all very useable but I am not sure how accurate they are but I do notice that the AC15/AC30 amps don't have that chime of a real VOX amp.
+ The Vyzex software (free download) lets you tweek amp and effects settings easily and allows control of some aspects that the hardware doesn't e.g. cabinets and wah effect but no dual amping.
+ Through headphones it sounds great but the sound is very diffent from the amp out so setting up presets vua headphones is not the way to go.
+ loads of presets (300+) but see below

Negatives

- Presets have lots of bands/songs that I've not heard of. Some that I've heard of sound accurate others do not.
- There are no artist presets which is a shame.
- Volumes vary between amps - this is a big problem, some amps are way too loud and threaten to blow up your amp/headphones etc when you select them. Come on line 6 don't you test this stuff?
- Whilst you can save 100 or so of your own presets it is hard to adjust the existing presets (unless using the vyzex sw) because the pots are not continuous - touch a pot even slightly and what ever it controls will jump to what ever position the pot is in; there is no indication of the original value so you can't dial in small refinements.
- The knobs/buttons have a dual use with the save button doubling as a sort of shift key - this hasn't been thought through because this save button makes it easy to overwrite a preset when all you want to do is tweek it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2013 1:34 PM GMT

easyGen 2
easyGen 2

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry this just doesn't work...., 21 Oct. 2005
This review is from: easyGen 2 (CD-ROM)
I had high hopes for easygen 2 but sadly it proved to be a big disappointment. The concept is great and Symbiant talk up the product well but it just doesn't work. Unfortunately I found that this software crashed regularly and proved awkward to work with.
Like most applications there is often more than one way to achieve what you want to do. With easygen the manual describes the menus and there are some tutorials on their website but I found that unless I constructed my page in eactly the required order then it wouldn't work. It wasn't often obvious what order was required and so getting a working page in easygen was very hit and miss.
Little things like inserting spaces or carriage returns to improve page layout would result in the dynamic data objects moving and ceasing to work. The manual does refer to this but doesn't advise how it can be avoided. The result for me was that I would have to repeatedly reconstruct a page and hope that I got the layout right first time.
Symbiant say that you can use existing html pages and add dynamic images to them. I found that importing html pages did not result in their being displayed in easygen's design view so placing dynamic objects was very hit and miss.
They also say that easygen can be used to convert between access and sql databases but I found that when I tried to remove the access db connection I kept being told that dynamic objects still referenced it on my pages. Even after deleting the entire pages content the thing still refused to relinquish the access database connection.
By far the biggest problem is that Symbiant only provide support a pay per issue basis so with the amount of bugs in this software you could end up paying a lot more than the initial purchase price before you complete your project.
I am still persevereing with easygen but to be honest it is often easier to do it manually myself.