Profile for Rubbah > Reviews

Chew Volume 1: Tasters Choice
Chew Volume 1: Tasters Choice
by John Layman

5.0 out of 5 stars mental in a good way, 23 May 2011
Quirky and unique- but presented in such a way that it doesn't seem strange when you're reading it. When I first heard the concept for this comic- a cop who gets psychic impressions from eating- I couldn't understand how such a strange premise would work. But I was encouraged to buy the first volume by the favourable reviews and curiosity and I'm so glad I went against my gut instinct. The series is very witty, darkly funny and often gory. My favourite characters are the ones with different food related powers; the imagination at work here is immense. i've already devoured(sorry) the next volume in the series and will definitely continue buying them. Definitely recommended for anyone looking for something different.

The Hunting Ground
The Hunting Ground
by Cliff McNish

4.0 out of 5 stars leave the lights on whilst reading this one, 7 May 2011
This review is from: The Hunting Ground (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've not really read many of Cliff Mcnish's ghost stories, butI'm a fan of the doomspell books, which are better defined as fantasy. However the qualities that make the Doomspell book great- the characters that you care about,believable family relationships and thrilling scenes- are all present here.

There is no slow build up in The Hunting Ground- we jump straight into the action, the ghost making itself known immediately, and from then the tension continues to build, as the newly moved in house are ghunted down and turned against one another. The scariest part for me was not just the malevolent, murderous ghosts in the house, but the house itself. It is a maze of curving corridors, repeating rooms and terrifying paintings- in short a true nightmare. recommended to anyone who enjoys being scared.

HOW TO BLOW UP TOLLINS
HOW TO BLOW UP TOLLINS
by Conn Iggulden

4.0 out of 5 stars good fun for younger children, 28 April 2011
This review is from: HOW TO BLOW UP TOLLINS (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Conn Igguldon of the dangerous book for boys fame returns here with 3 stories about Tollins, small fairies with attitude, similar to the wee free men or the some of the fairies in the spiderwick books. The pictures are fun They are aimed at too slightly a young age group to appeal to adults as casual reading, but are definitely a good choice for parents looking for something to share with their children.

Remington WDF4830 Super Smooth Lady Shaver
Remington WDF4830 Super Smooth Lady Shaver
Offered by Anything 4 Home

2.0 out of 5 stars cant charge it, 27 April 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As other reviewers have mentioned, it is also necessary to buy an adaptor to charge and use this. When it is charged it works fine- but not particularly better than any other model, so if you don't already have the necessary adaptor save yourself the hassle and pick a different shaver.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2011 4:12 PM BST

Molly Moon and the Morphing Mystery
Molly Moon and the Morphing Mystery
by Georgia Byng

4.0 out of 5 stars hypnotising:), 24 Feb 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been reading this books since I was about 12, and now I'm 20 and they charm me just as much. normally children's series after this many books lose the humour and originality with each sequel, or as I grow older I dont connect with them as much, but Georgia Byng hasn't fallen into either of these traps. In this newest installment Molly Moon and her brother learn to morph and hilarious antics ensue. I'd suggest reading the series from the start, and not with this one for full comprehension, and I envy those meeting molly moon for the first time.

Monty Python's Flying Circus (Vintage Beeb)
Monty Python's Flying Circus (Vintage Beeb)
by BBC Audiobooks America
Edition: Audio CD

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for people new to Monty Python, 24 Feb 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great gift for any Monty Python fan, 19 classic sketches here digitally remastered in a case that mimic's the original vinyl. Not reccommended for people only just being to introduced to the sketches however, as my friend who was unfamiliar with the them didn't really 'get' them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2011 7:45 PM BST

Empire of Silver (Conqueror, Book 4) (Conqueror 4)
Empire of Silver (Conqueror, Book 4) (Conqueror 4)
by Conn Iggulden

4.0 out of 5 stars good- but not as good as its predecessors, 13 Jan 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If it weren't for the first three in the genghis khan series, i think i would have loved this book so much more than I did. as it were I was constantly comparing it unfavourably. It was less pacy, and whilst rwading it I was less interested. however on finishing it I relaised that i was probably being unfair, and on looking back, many parts have been playing on my mind. Overall good, and if you have read the first three and enjoyed them, this is a good addition, but may be dissapointing. Despite this I look forwad to Conn Igguldon's future work.

NERDS (National Espionage, Rescue, and Defense Society) (NERDS - book 1)
NERDS (National Espionage, Rescue, and Defense Society) (NERDS - book 1)
by Michael Buckley

4.0 out of 5 stars For the nerd in all of us, 13 Jan 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Finally Nerds have their day in this great spy spoof from the author the equally good 'sisters grimm' series. The nerds presented here turn their setbacks into world saving talents, and whilst funny and enteratining, Buckley manageds to squezze in the serious( but not patronising) message about accepting differences, and that differences make you special. recommended.

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies)
I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies)
by Pittacus Lore

3.0 out of 5 stars cliche ridden sci-fi, 1 Nov 2010
As other reviewers have noted, there is not much new or interesting to make this a particularly memorable book. As in the tradition of twilight and its numerous copycat bestsellers, our heroes have no obvious flaws and are incredibly angsty and self obsessed. The basic premise is that John Smith is the fourth out of 9 aliens who were sent to earth as children to protect them and to develop their powers before going to war with the evil aliens who have destroyed their planet; but of course all the seems to preoccupy John is beating the school bully and having a girlfriend. Another factor that really jarred ith me was the fact that it was written in present tense, for me it makes the prose very stilted, but other readers may not feel the same way. Also I'm always annoyed at books that fail to be whole stories in their own right- this is just a 300 page set up to a lengthier 'epic' series. I give it 3 stars because I can see how younger teenagers, particularly boys, might be attracted to it, but really, there are far better books aimed at the same age group in the same genre.

My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me
My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me
by Kate Bernheimer

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Anthology, 30 Oct 2010
A brilliant anthology of brand new fairytales. As someone who has read nearly all the Windling/Datlow anthologies, I was thrilled to hear of the iminent release of 'My mother she killed me, my father he ate me', and Im gald to say i was not dissapointed. The collection spans Russia, America, England, Germany, Italy, Norway, Denmark, France, Greece, Vietnam and japan, and includes retellings, mash ups of fairytales, and brand new ones, so you can see the kind of scope that this book deals with. However as a whole it works perfectly, transporting the reader to the realm of faery. As with all anthologies there are a couple of weaker stories, but these were very much in the minority, and if it wasn't for the fact that i was comparing them to the stories they were collected with, i may not have found them so weak. Some highlights for me include;
-The Snow Maiden, by Jonanthon Keats, a chilling tale about winter searching for a mortal love
-A day in the life of half od Rumplestiltskin by Kevin Brockmeier, an interesting look at what happened to the fairytale villain after he tore himself in two
-Catskin by kelly Link- a tale about a witch, the children she collects, cats and revenge
Teague O'Kane and the Corpse by Chris Adrian, creepy story that sent shivers up my spine, as Teague is charged with burying a dead body that keeps talking to him
The Colour Master by Aimee Bender, is I think my favourite in the collection, its about the seamstresses who made the dresses the colours of the sun, the moon and the sky for the unfortunate heroine of Perrault's Donkeyskin
The Story of the Mosquito by lily Hoang, about how the mosquito was created

These are just a few of a truly impressive collection, I would recommend it to anyone with even only a passing interest in fairytales

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20