ARRAY(0xaec8bedc)

Profile for Rubbah > Reviews

Content by Rubbah

Rubbah "Rubbah" (Hertfordshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Bosch PKS16 Multi-Handy Mini Circular Saw for Precise Straight Cuts in Many Materials
Price: 99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Mini Circular Saw, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a fun bit of kit for a hobbyist but being mini it is obviously quite limited in what it can do.

McAfee Total Protection 2014 - 3 User - 1 Year (PC)
McAfee Total Protection 2014 - 3 User - 1 Year (PC)
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars McAfee Total Protection 2014, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Easy to install and then it pretty much does it's own thing in the background. I've noticed my computer speeds are good and as yet it has protected me from nasty internet viruses competently so no complaints here! I've used other McAfee products in the past and I've always found them trustworthy and reliable.

Venus and Olay Sugarberry Razor
Venus and Olay Sugarberry Razor
Price: 8.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Venus and Olay Sugarberry Razor, 17 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Top marks for the razor but I'm not a fan of the colour or sickly smell (is sugarberry even a thing?). I found that it gives nice smooth results for at least 5 shaves and left my legs feeling softer than usual after shaving.

The Time Traveller's Almanac: The Ultimate Treasury of Time Travel Fiction - Brought to You from the Future
by Ann VanderMeer
Price: 16.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Time Traveller's Almanac, 18 Feb 2014
Firstly WOW. This is genuinely one of the best anthologies I have ever read. And the best part is I've now been introduced to dozens of new authors.

In the 60+ stories offered the methods range from phonecalls to magic houses and from spaceships to dancing. the breadth and depth of the ways that time travel is used is incredible.

Some of the stories that have stuck with me are:

Enoch Soames: A memory of the 1890s by Max Beerbohm.
- time travel via a deal with the devil. a writer travels forward to the 1990s to see how he is remembered

This Tragic Glass by Elizabeth Bear
- Literary scholars of the future save long dead poets from early deaths so that they may continue to write in the future ( as an English grad I loved this one)

Lost Continent by Greg Egan
- This story of time travelling war refugees critiques the red tape around very real immigration detention camps

Red Letter Day by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
- Before graduating high schoolers receive a messagef rom their 50 year old self telling them what to change in the future. This story follows the students who don't get a letter.

Highly recommended

Weetabix Breakfast Biscuits Apple and Cinnamon 50 g (Pack of 16)
Weetabix Breakfast Biscuits Apple and Cinnamon 50 g (Pack of 16)
Price: 7.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Weetabix Breakfast Biscuits, 18 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Dry and not very tasty. Ok for when you're in a rush and need to eat on the go but I can think of many tastier and healthier alternatives. 3 stars for convenience and not being completely unpalatable.

Max Factor Whipped Creme Foundation 55 Beige
Max Factor Whipped Creme Foundation 55 Beige
Price: 7.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Max Factor Foundation, 18 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In the past I found the moussey foundations (such as the maybelline one)have caused me to break out in spots which has lead me to steer away from them, even though I really like the texture. However I am a fan of Max Factor so I thought I'd give it a go. Pleased to report that I've not had any spots (or mo so than usual!) and it gives a good even coverage. I'm not quite converted from by BB creams though but I will definitely keep this in my make up bag for when more coverage is required.

The Unwritten: Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice HC
The Unwritten: Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice HC
by Peter Gross
Price: 14.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Tommy Taylor and The Ship That Sank Twice, 17 Feb 2014
A lovely prequel/companion book that encapsulates everything great about the Unwritten series the art, the magic, character moments, strong plot and great concepts. I would suggest that it is read best about mid-way through the main series (though it contains nothing that would spoil the plot of Unwritten).

The Ship That Sank Twice features two overlapping stories:The first is set in the 'real' world and is about how Wilson Taylor came to write the Tommy Taylor novels, which comes some way to explaining Wilson's experiments- why he did it and the costs involved.in linking his son witha fictional character.

The second is the story of the first Tommy Taylor novel (Ship That Sank Twice). The biggest strength of this story is that it feels like a a book in its own right, easilt enjoyable without knowledge of the comics.

The Vintage Sweets Book
The Vintage Sweets Book
by Angel Adoree
Price: 16.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Sweets Book, 17 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love the vinatge tea party book also by Angel Adoree, and the vintage sweets books holds to the same high standards in presentation, whimsy and inspiration. However I found the recipes slightly less accessible, whereas I was immediaitely able to find occasions/the ingredients to make several of the recipes in her former cookbook.
That said this is a beautiful book and would make an excellent gift for the retro sweet lover in your life.
3.5stars

Bexsimon Cast Iron Tree Mug, Black
Bexsimon Cast Iron Tree Mug, Black
Price: 38.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Mug Tree, 19 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A beautiful and simple mug tree that fuses a lovely appearance with functionality. It feels really sturdy and on a silly note is the new weapon of choice in my zombie apolocypse survivalist scenarios :)

The Girl With All The Gifts
The Girl With All The Gifts
by M. R. Carey
Price: 9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars The Girl With All The Gifts, 13 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a big fan of Mike Carey's Unwritten comics series, but I've never read any of his prose which is why I was eager to read this book.

This is tense story that blurs the lines between thriller and horror that I know will linger in my mind as I go to sleep tonight.

I knew very little about The Girl With All The Gifts going in, and I think that is the best way to approach this book. Suffice to say that the revelations are slow and unsettling. Carey does a great job at dishing out little pieces of information through each member of the small group of characters in the book and his writing is concise, not overly descriptive but with just enough detail so that our minds can fill in the rest. The characters all well rounded and the decisions of at least 2 are incredibly morally ambiguous- some of the scenes involving the mad scientist character are especially tough reading.

Definitely going to be one of the most talked about genre books of the year.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20