Profile for Helen J. McLachlan > Reviews

Content by Helen J. McLachlan

Helen J. McLachlan (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Classikool Branded Savoy Disposable Icing Piping Bag pack of 20
Classikool Branded Savoy Disposable Icing Piping Bag pack of 20
Offered by PackagingTraders

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Oct. 2015
Very good, they are very good for piping, my daughter loves them.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Was good but took a while to come, 1 Oct. 2015
Was good but took a while to come, way past its due date but when it came it was good.

Le'Xpress Frother
Le'Xpress Frother

5.0 out of 5 stars It is great easy to wash and to use, 24 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Le'Xpress Frother (Kitchen & Home)
It is great easy to wash and to use. Doesn't spurt up in your face when frothing, and froth tastes amazingly awesome.
ps. This was written by her child.

You Can Be Thin: The Ultimate Programme to End Dieting...Forever
You Can Be Thin: The Ultimate Programme to End Dieting...Forever

3.0 out of 5 stars Iffy science, good advice, 2 Mar. 2015
I do agree with much of the book's ethos in terms of changing the way we think about food to break its hold on us, and was cheered to find that many of the conclusions I have come to personally regarding being overweight were also drawn here.
However, I started to falter once I got to the "glue and mucus/ pus" chapters, as there are several points to which I take exception as a molecular biologist, namely:
1. Whilst all the flour and water = glue, stick a piece of paper to the wall stuff is true, this does not follow that this is what happens in your gut. There are many digestive enzymes which break down the carbohydrates into their component sugars for easy transfer through the gut wall and into your bloodstream, so the idea of glue lining your gut walls simply is not true.
2. The same is true of milk, most people are perfectly able to digest it, and as for the "milk has pus cells in it", well if you were adverse to eating cells, then you wouldn't eat any meat at all, an immune cell is no different to digest than a muscle cell. And don't forget plants are made of cells too!
Of course some people are indeed intolerant to these foods and cannot digest them properly, but I think these will know who they are. For the rest of us, they are all too easily digested, and I definitely would agree that it is not a good idea to be eating too many cheese sandwiches if you want to lose weight (shed pounds! caught myself there).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2015 4:00 PM BST

iQualTech 2 Meter Apple MFi Certified Lightning Cable Super-Strong Nylon-Braided for iPhone 6, 6+, 5s, 5c, 5, iPad Air, iPad Mini
Offered by iQualTech

5.0 out of 5 stars Luxury Length, 26 Feb. 2015
Fantastic to be able to use your iphone whilst it's charging, without having to hang over the edge of your chair to reach the plug socket. Cable seems very sturdy compared to the old Apple one, so hopefully it will last a bit longer.

Peck Peck Peck
Peck Peck Peck
by Lucy Cousins

5.0 out of 5 stars I peck the sink, I peck the loo...., 28 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Peck Peck Peck (Paperback)
We love this book so much we had to buy our own copy, after borrowing from the library for the 5th time running. It is just hilarious, and always has us in stitches. The holes through the pages reinforce the pecking theme and make it even more funny to small children. It is also nice to have a Dad featured in a story book too.

Life After Life
Life After Life

2.0 out of 5 stars Death after Death, 7 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
Firstly, I will say that the book is well written and has a clever premise, makes you consider the "what ifs" of life, and keeps you reading just to find out what happens next.

However, it was just too depressing for words- all the ways a child can die, a life can go awry, and the endless awfulness that accompanies war. All this, many times over, just left me cold.Definitely not my idea of a feel-good book!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the whale shark party, thanks!, 17 April 2014
This T-shirt is fantastic- good quality, and lovely print of a whale shark. I haven't washed it yet but don't foresee any problems. My daughter loves it :-)

GelaSkins The HardCase for iPhone 5 - Meow
GelaSkins The HardCase for iPhone 5 - Meow

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful smooth case, 6 July 2013
Slim fitting, not bulky, very smooth. Beautiful design, and I love the matching wallpaper too. Very happy with it, would recommend.

Cloud's Rider
Cloud's Rider
by C J Cherryh

5.0 out of 5 stars Sequel every bit as thrilling as Rider at the Gate, 17 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Cloud's Rider (Paperback)
Another great story full of human dilemma, set against the background of a snowy, alien world peopled with telepathic creatures. The night horses are especially well portrayed in their interactions with their riders and other humans, and I enjoyed this sequel very much, particularly as I only recently discovered it existed at all.

Page: 1 | 2