Profile for George Mahood > Reviews

Content by George Mahood

George Mahood

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Mother, was it worth it? (Sell the Pig series Book 3)
Mother, was it worth it? (Sell the Pig series Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best yet!, 20 Jun 2014
I think this was my favourite of the three Sell the Pig books (so far!). It has a really nice feel to it as Tottie truly embraces French life and its culture. There is more interaction with the locals and exploration of the surroundings than in the other books, and you get a proper feel for life in rural France... without even having to get off the sofa.
I can't wait to see what Tottie has planned next.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2014 3:19 PM BST

Is that Billinge Lump?
Is that Billinge Lump?

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely enjoyable, 20 Jun 2014
Another extremely enjoyable instalment of Tottie's fascinating life. This book is probably the most personal chapter of the entire series and Tottie writes about her various family issues and circumstances very well.
I did get a little frustrated with the many digs towards the NHS. I know that it is relevant to the story as it is why she ended up in France, but I would have been satisfied with a basic 'better life abroad' premise. Tottie's experiences prove that the French healthcare system also has its flaws, but I do appreciate that comparisons needed to be made in order to help explain her reasons for moving.

Brilliant book. Brilliant series.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2014 3:17 PM BST

The Perpetual Astonishment of Jonathon Fairfax
The Perpetual Astonishment of Jonathon Fairfax

5.0 out of 5 stars VERY funny and brilliantly clever., 17 Jun 2014
This was one of the most entertaining books I have read in a very long time. It is an incredibly clever and engaging plot, but what makes the book so unique is the author's own voice than adds a huge dose of dry and astute wit to the narrative. I can't recommend this book enough.

TeckNet® Wireless Mains Plug-In Doorbell Door Chime
TeckNet® Wireless Mains Plug-In Doorbell Door Chime
Offered by BlueByte Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars The BEST and WORST doorbell I have ever bought!, 23 Feb 2014
This is BEST doorbell I have ever bought. It is also the WORST. I have only ever bought one doorbell. The product description states that it has a range of 300m. This may well be true... if you live in a house that HAS NO WALLS! If, however, your house has the inconvenience of any form of structure, this range is reduced to about 10 metres. Our receiver only works in the two closest rooms to the front door, from where you could easily hear a person knocking anyway. The doorbell also stopped working after a couple of weeks, but to the seller’s credit, they responded to my email with details of how to re-sync it easily. It also has 30+ different chimes, which is GREAT if you want your children to randomly change them every day so that you completely lose track of what the doorbell actually sounds like. This product does sort of do the job that was required, and it was very cheap, so I'm moderately satisfied with the purchase.

Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools (Old Fools Series Book 1)
Chickens, Mules and Two Old Fools (Old Fools Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight!, 23 Feb 2014
This book deserves all the praise it has got. Victoria Twead writes so effortlessly and engagingly and it was a real pleasure to read. I’m really looking forward to reading more tales from the old fools.

Sell the Pig (Sell the Pig series Book 1)
Sell the Pig (Sell the Pig series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 23 Feb 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed Sell the Pig. Tottie is a gifted storyteller and an extremely talented writer, and her descriptions of her slightly 'unconventional' family are so well observed. I was expecting this book to cover Tottie's move to France and the start of a new life abroad, rather than the build up. This is in no way a criticism, though, as I could happily read many more books about Tottie's eccentric family. I have already bought the sequel and I can't wait to read the next instalment.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2014 8:30 AM GMT

The diary of a single parent abroad
The diary of a single parent abroad

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable woman. Astonishing story., 23 Feb 2014
Jill Pennington is a remarkable woman, and this is an astonishing story. Most people, in Jill’s situation, would probably return to the security and familiarity of the life they had just left. Jill, however, courageously decides to carry on regardless. She and her children take on a life full of hardships, but she never implies any sense of regret at her decision to stay, making it an incredibly life-affirming book.

10 x MR16 35W Halogen Spot Lamp 12v GU5.3 Light Bulbs
10 x MR16 35W Halogen Spot Lamp 12v GU5.3 Light Bulbs
Offered by best deal 4 u

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best quality, but great value., 23 Feb 2014
One of these bulbs broke during the first week, which I thought was a bit annoying at the time. And then I remembered I had bought TEN OF THEM for less than a fiver, so couldn’t have much complaint. Great value for money.

Kamikaze Kangaroos!: 20,000 Miles Around Australia. One Van,Two Girls... And An Idiot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloody brilliant! Could be the best one yet., 14 Feb 2014
I had been looking forward to reading Tony’s adventures in Australia since he left us hanging at the Arrivals hall at Perth airport at the end of his last book.
Kamikaze Kangaroos did not disappoint in the slightest. It’s bloody brilliant! In fact, I think it could be the best one yet. It still maintains all of the calamitous Tony James Slater situations that we have come to expect from him, and, of course, laughs by the bucket-load. But this book also has a level of emotion and sensitivity that sets it apart from his other books. Who knew Tony could write so sensitively and thoughtfully about love and loss? He even made me cry! It’s almost as though he has - dare I say it - GROWN UP since his last book. Nah, who am I kidding? He’s still a child at heart.

Five Bestselling Travel Memoirs Box Set
Five Bestselling Travel Memoirs Box Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing books! Amazing value!, 12 Feb 2014
I have read and reviewed three of these brilliant books already (all FIVE stars), I'm halfway through the fourth (and loving it) and have the fifth ready and waiting on my kindle. This box set of travel memoirs is such a fun, varied mix of stories and experiences. It's a great idea having them all together in one ridiculously good value box set. Buy it! You won't be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3