Profile for A. Wright > Reviews

Content by A. Wright

A. Wright "adrian3627" (Herts, England)

E-Discovery Data Mapping:  A Practical Guide For Lawyers
E-Discovery Data Mapping: A Practical Guide For Lawyers
Price: 3.21

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but images in Kindle edition are close to unreadable, 2 July 2014
The book itself is clear and well written and very helpful. I have the kindle edition, and the images for various diagrams, examples, spreadsheets etc. are very low resolution. Text in the diagrams is often difficult, and sometimes impossible to read.
Wish I had the print version.

Prime Scuba Snorkeling Frameless Dive Mask, Black
Prime Scuba Snorkeling Frameless Dive Mask, Black
Offered by Prime Scuba
Price: 29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact, comfortable fit, 4 Sep 2013
Very pleased with this - taken as a spare mask for light snorkelling but quickly became the one of choice.

iPhone 4 Perforated Snap Case Black
iPhone 4 Perforated Snap Case Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, but comes apart and gives poor protection, 3 Sep 2013
Had this case for just over a year. It looks good, but over time the fit has become quite loose. The bottom half of the case slides off all the time now - yesterday I pulled it out of my pocket and the bottom of the case started to come off, causing me to drop the phone. The screen cracked despite it only being a short drop. Since I've had this case I've dropped the phone twice, and on both occasions the screen has broken. Had a silicone case before that and dropped the phone a couple of times without problems.

Not recommended.

Clatronic Automatic Bag Vacuum Sealer
Clatronic Automatic Bag Vacuum Sealer

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that impressed, 28 Jan 2010
Bought one of these recently from another store which called it a "High Quality Vacuum Sealer". You should check 1st with the supplier that this come with a proper moulded GB plug - Mine didnt - it came with a european plug and something akin to a travel plug.

The instructions were not particularly clear, but how hard can it be?! The machine claims to have a high power vacuum pump but in initial tests the unit I had couldnt even flatten the air out of a scrunched up piece of kitchen roll. So dont expect this to remove all the air and preserve foods for any length of time. I had seen pictures of cans crushed by a vacuum sealer - but dont expect that from this one.

The bag roll provided comes with one side open - you seal each bag down the sides as well as the top. The seal area is very narrow and the heating wire also acts as the cutter for the material - it seems to hold so far, but not convinced this would last for any time or under pressure. I wouldnt feel confident sealing any liquid materials with this device.

You can probably get better performance by choosing better, embossed bags to help extract the air, and / or by removing most of the air, sealing the bag, snipping a corner off and extracting the remaining air through that hold before resealing - but you can tell we've strayed quite a long way from the simple Fill-Vac-Seal process most people would expect.

In summary: Its fiddly, noisy, slow, it may not hold liquids well, it doesnt extract enough air to preserve food. Good points? Its not that big, so it wont take up too much space at the back of the cupboard, where it will innevitably end up.

Braun MR6550 M HC-BC Multiquick Professional Blender Kit
Braun MR6550 M HC-BC Multiquick Professional Blender Kit

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked well for a year or so, 21 Sep 2008
We've had a succession of these over the years. Each seems to die faster than the previous. This one lasted about a year before the gearing inside just stopped working.

We liked the stainless attachment (at least it doesnt end up being stained by tomatoes like the plastic ones).

We liked the big blending jug too though I always seem to lose the blade when I need it in a hurry, and we liked the ease with which the lids can be taken off. Used another brand at a friends house recently and taking the lid off the chopping bowl was a nightmare. Something to watch for.

I thought we were just unlucky with this unit, but having read the reviews and found others with the same problem, I'm looking elsewhere.

The Road Less Travelled
The Road Less Travelled
Price: 12.88

4.0 out of 5 stars Only stopped listening...., 9 Mar 2005
This review is from: The Road Less Travelled (Audio CD)
...When my MP3 player broke down. Cracking stuff. Couple of the tracks not quite my scene, but hey...

Welcome to the Hotel Connemara
Welcome to the Hotel Connemara
Price: 13.59

1.0 out of 5 stars If this were elevator music..., 9 Mar 2005
...You would be pressing the panic button in seconds.
Surely the blandest, most awful album I have ever bought. Its ability to bore is legendary in our office. Why did they do it? They're normally such a clever, bright band too.
Was it a dare? Part of a terrible kidnap drama where the band are told to play on, act normal - and the only thing they can think of doing is playing "Eleanor Rigby" and hoping someone recognises that something is wrong.
"Hang on in there, lads - help is on its ...." (ah - too late - I fell asleep)
Or maybe the joke is on me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2009 10:39 AM GMT

Gaggia Classic RI8161 Coffee Machine with Professional Filter Holder - Stainless Steel Body
Price: 250.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Noisy but nice - has stood the test of time, 29 Mar 2004
You never really know with gadgets - will you actually use them? Are they worth the money?
After two+ years, we can say with confidence that of all the gadgets we have bought, our Gaggia coffee maker has stood the test of time.
We drink a lot of coffee. Not sure if it was working in the US or Milan that started that one. I suspect it was the latter - our Milan MD swore that his treacle-thick espresso was safe to drink and had less caffeine than filter coffee ("Less time spent in contact with the grounds"). And American cars just dont seem to work without a bucket of coffee sitting in one of the ubiquitous cup holders.
So when I sheepishly stared at one of these in a shop window before Christmas, my wife caved in, took some advice, and bought me one (brushed steel, not chrome) .
We've used it every week, and pretty much every weekend day since I got it. It does really great coffee (so long as you use good beans or a freshly opened pack of pre-ground). Produces a great crema and the kitchen fills with the smell of a coffee shop (less the cigarette smoke, mind) in seconds.
A few gripes - the milk froths pretty well, but the nozzle is a pain to clean, even straight after use. I find myself making americano and espresso most as a result.
And it is rather noisy. Not in a swishy-swooshy-frothy way but in the ratatatat racket of the compression pump. I've nothing to compare it to to tell if this is better or worse than average.
On the other hand it heats up quickly, the water tank holds loads, the unit and its accessories are really solid (they take a real bashing), and the coffee is great - we love it.