Profile for V > Reviews

Content by V

V "moodswinger" (Tunbridge Wells, Kent)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Finders Keepers (Police Procedural Crime Thriller - DS Linda Jones Book 2)
Finders Keepers (Police Procedural Crime Thriller - DS Linda Jones Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong story, 27 July 2014
I enjoyed reading this book. The story was well crafted and the character's fleshed out enough to care about them.

However, stars were knocked off because the denouement of the story was simply too quick in comparison with the rest of the book. In addition, the proof reading and editing was terrible with missing words and punctuation. A prime example comes with the word 'hello'; it's obvious that it was originally 'hallo' and the author has done a "change all" without checking the results, giving the reader phrases such as 'sHellow water'.

If you can get past that, it's well worth the read!

The Game
The Game

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 27 April 2014
This review is from: The Game (Kindle Edition)
I did enjoy reading this book but there were a few things that I didn't like.

There was a good deal of repetition to underline the emotions between the character's but merely served to slow the narrative pace down. Some of the plot twists didn't feel credible, while the unlikely convenient action, such as being allowed to observe the interrogation of the man accused of killing his wife simply didn't ring true. Finally, it needed some judicious editing and proof-reading. The author indicated that the sexual detail had been removed and perhaps this created errors.

Nevertheless, it was a good enough story to keep me wanting to reach the end.

Trading Places (The Reeves Sisters Series Book 1)
Trading Places (The Reeves Sisters Series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing idea poorly executed, 13 April 2014
I thought that the basic plot device of twin sisters swapping their lives temporarily was an interesting one. And it is.

However, the editing is poor, the point where the girls trade places is frankly unconvincing and the dialogue throughout is clunky, stilted and often placed to avoid narrative description.

A shame.

Facebook Stalker: Novel (Suspense/Mystery/Thriller)
Facebook Stalker: Novel (Suspense/Mystery/Thriller)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 1 April 2014
I don't understand the other critics lauding this book. I found the plotting too obvious and highly unlikely with some clunky dialogue and prose. There was some description better served if expressed in dialogue and vice versa.

In addition, the obvious lack of proof-reading and judicious editing made the book occasionally difficult to read.

But I read to the end. However, the set-up to goad the reader into purchasing the next instalment was too melodramatic for my taste.

Sorry but my involvement ends here...

Behind Closed Doors
Behind Closed Doors

2.0 out of 5 stars A difficult book to rate..., 30 Mar. 2014
I liked this book, I really did. The author made a good stab at expressing the claustrophobia of the kidnap victim. The plot was detailed enough too to maintain my interest.

But...

But... It felt as if the author was falling over herself to get the story out. It seemed as if this was the rough first draft that was then not revisited.

The lack of grammar and spelling checks is very evident throughout and I found myself having to pick my way through some of the sentences to get their meaning.

There is overuse of certain phrases that create speed bumps in the reading. 'Cut... eyes to' is the common one, which is often odd and meaningless in the contexts in which it is used. In addition, the frequent use of the grammatical error 'off of' instead of simply 'off' really made the narrative stumble erratically.

The ideas were brave, particularly in the use of the first person to create a sense of intimacy, and especially the narrative being in the present tense. But here is the greatest problem - the tenses are all over the place throughout. It felt like the idea to use the present tense was a late addition but the update process was slapdash.

One of the frustrating things for me was the repetition of the villain's story in the middle third of the book. We learn why he is the way he is but then the story from the first part is repeated and I found myself flipping forward to skip the bits I was familiar with. Nothing wrong with the technique but the villain's story should not have been introduced in the first part of the novel.

Finally, I didn't feel that the dialogue always rang true. Some was clunky and didn't drive the story on while too many characters had a very similar 'voice'.

This could be a brilliant thriller but needs work before publication.

Headcount: A Thriller
Headcount: A Thriller

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story told with panache, 16 Mar. 2014
The description of this book intrigued me and I downloaded it on that strength.

It is an interesting twist on a relatively well-worn plot but the pace and character definition lift it.

One slight reservation in the plotting, though. The police must be exceptionally dim not to figure out the constants. However, even that doesn't detract from a highly readable story.

Recommended to those who like a thriller where you know who commits murder with the fun being whether he gets caught or not.

Dying to Get Published (The Jennifer Marsh Mysteries Book 1)
Dying to Get Published (The Jennifer Marsh Mysteries Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good writing style, 11 Feb. 2014
The story was an interesting one for a writer to pursue. Without giving too much away...

The characters were well-rounded and the plotting kept at a good pace but I found the killer obvious in the second half and, even when the protagonist had identified the murderer, there was still surprise from her when she confronted them.

Nevertheless, a great deckchair read and I am sure I will catch up with the sequels.

Recommended for those who like light-hearted thrillers.

Syndrome
Syndrome

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining and thought-provoking read, 29 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Syndrome (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down.

However, the missing star comes from a need for editing and proof-reading. Random words, missing words, unexpected paragraph throws... all made the reading disjointed and frustrating.

Indecent Behavior: A Novel
Indecent Behavior: A Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars A great thriller, 24 Jan. 2014
Good engaging story and well-drawn characters. The pace of the plot was well-conceived and I found the book a real page-turner.

The only issues I had were with the sporadic use of the journal when that could have been adequately incorporated in the action and with the continual use of Yiddish idioms, but maybe that's because I'm British and it is perhaps less familiar to use it here.

Dirty Little Secrets: A J.J. Graves Mystery (J.J. Graves Mysteries Book 1)
Dirty Little Secrets: A J.J. Graves Mystery (J.J. Graves Mysteries Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good romp, 14 Jan. 2014
I really enjoyed this book. The characterisations were well rounded, the pace of the story and plot twists kept about right and the use of humour and self-deprecation keeping the narrative fizzing along.

One slight annoyance in my copy were some spelling issues and missing words that interrupted the flow, hence only four stars.

Nevertheless, I would highly recommend this book for a few hours of escapism and am looking forward to reading the others in this series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5