Profile for Dr. Paul Ell > Reviews

Content by Dr. Paul Ell
Top Reviewer Ranking: 141

Dr. Paul Ell (NI, UK)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Command 17201BLK Medium Picture Hanging Strips - Black (Pack of 4)
Command 17201BLK Medium Picture Hanging Strips - Black (Pack of 4)
Offered by BIC WAREHOUSE

3.0 out of 5 stars Proceed with caution, 29 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well this is my second try with this type of product. The last product resulted in a pictures falling off the wall after around a month. So I'll try again and update whether or not the pictures stay in place. I think a drill and hammer may be better. I'm attaching my last review for information when I downgraded my score to one star. Again we'll see what happens!! For that product the strips were attached to a metal hook. These attach directly to the picture frame. Watch this space...

Update May 12 2016: Well the ultimately failure, the picture fell of the wall as the hook came away. Ultimate failure. Star rating reduced two one.

This kit is worth investing in if you really want to avoid damage to a wall or, I guess, if the wall can't be drilled because of electric cables or pipes in the wall where you want to drill. To be honest I tried this because I thought it would be less hassle than using a drill. It definitely isn't. The wall needs to be prepared in advance - it's advised that you clean it with alcohol and let it dry. Plus you can't use it with any wall that has wallpaper on it - the paper might be pulled of the wall by the weight of whatever you hang. You then attach a double-side sticky tape tape to a piece of metal which contains the 'nail'. This is attached to the wall and should be left for an hour. In addition two 'stabiliser' Velcro strips are included. I used these not so much to keep the framed picture I wanted to put in the wall stable but to add additional traction to stop it falling off the wall. These are a bit fiddly to fix. Each 'stabiliser' consists of two Velcro strips with sticky backs. One is attached to the wall and the other to the frame. Getting these correctly aligned, and the picture frame straight is difficult to do.

Overall bearing in mind that each pack allows only one picture to be hung - you get one 'nail' per pack - this is a relatively costly way of hanging pictures. You'll also need an unpapered wall and plaster that is reasonably well adhered to the plasterboard or brickwork. The messing around with sticky tabs and Velcro is fiddly and time consuming. Plus the system really isn't as secure as a screw and rawplug put into a standard solid wall. Unless you're really concerned about wall damage I wouldn't bother with this system.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2016 1:41 PM BST

Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Age-Defying Eye Cream 15 ml
Manuka Doctor ApiNourish Age-Defying Eye Cream 15 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing so far, 29 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well bee venom is certainly new but like many of these 'dark ring' eye products I can see no difference. Also the product seems to have a drying effect. At the current price point I think it's expensive for the lack of results but I'll report back if anything changes.

AmazonBasics Velvet Plush Blanket, Double - Grey
AmazonBasics Velvet Plush Blanket, Double - Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and warm, 29 May 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very large throw that will easily cover a sofa or a large bed. The material, polyester, feels thick and very soft to the touch - a good velvet feel. As an Amazon Vine product I didn't have a choice of colour, but did need a throw. I have to say that grey would not be my first choice. It looks a little 'flat' if that makes sense.

Based on the thickness and comparing it to previous throws my guess is that this product will last for a considerable time. It's easily washable in a standard washing machine so cleaning is not a problem. My cats seem to approve it most! Despite the 'AmazonBasics' label I tend to find the quality of these products to be far better than basic!

One star dropped because I have no idea at the moment of the price of the product and the grey is a little too uniform in colour.

Alessi Kitchen Wall Clock, Blue, (10 AZ)
Alessi Kitchen Wall Clock, Blue, (10 AZ)

5.0 out of 5 stars Alessi classic, 28 May 2016
An Alessi classic which remains stylish and 'timeless'. Keeps good time as well and comes with a battery. Got mine at half price so an irresistable deal.

PYRUS Solar Powered LED Landscape Lighting Waterproof Outdoor Lights Bulb Spotlight for Yard Lawn Pathway Garden
Offered by PYRUS UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to install, 28 May 2016
Living in Northern Ireland where sun is in short demand I had my doubts this produce would work. However it does consistently and produces a surprisingly strong light for a surprisingly long time. Very easy to install. Simply use the supply stake and put it in the lawn. Recommended.

Fibaro FGFS-101 Flood Sensor
Fibaro FGFS-101 Flood Sensor

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and easy to use, 28 May 2016
Does what it says. Directly detects water from 4 mini legs and reports any movement to your phone. Easily links to SmartThings without issue. I have a couple of them now. Recommended. And competitively priced on Amazon.

D-FantiX Handheld Fan Battery Operated Portable Fan Water Misting Fan Personal Humidifier Fan USB Powered for Beauty, Home, Office and Travel (Blue)
Offered by D-FantiX UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent personal fan with water cooling, 28 May 2016
This is a really excellent product. Using as a personal fan it produces a strong airflow and can also mix that with a fine water spray or, indeed, can produce a spray alone. No batteries are required, it charges via a USB and there's an indicator to show how much battery life there is. There is a small water reservoir but even in spray mode this seems to last for some time. The combination of spray and airflow is very refreshing.

My only criticism is that it's quite large and although has an easy-hold handle is a bit bigger than I expected for a 'personal' carry-around fan.

Other than that no problems, and it appears to be well made.

I received this complimentary product for an independent review. Look at my profile, very few such products get 5 stars. This fan deserves a 5 star score. If you hate the heat like me buy one!

Alessi Vime Centrepiece in RattanBrown
Alessi Vime Centrepiece in RattanBrown

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, 27 May 2016
Without doubt one of the more usual Alessi objects I own and not cheap, but I got it at a much reduced price. The idea is that you place a branch in the centre and it acts as a centre piece. Not my favourite Alessi item but a talking point. Also look at the dimensions. This is a big thing!

Emie Elfy Touch Sensor Table / Desk Lamp with LED lights, for Bedside, Baby Room, Perfect Kids Room Lighting
Offered by MakeThe1

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 26 May 2016
Despite discussion with the manaufacturer at some length the software - especially iOS software - simply did not work. I tried it on two tablets and a phone. All it did was make sure the Elfy no longer changed colour at all. So until the software is revised don't bother to buy. Without using the Android or iOS software the product simply cycles through a series of colours so I think working software is essential.

This item was provided free for independent testing

5-pack Eyekepper Metal Half-rim Spring Hinges Reading Glasses Include Computer Readers +1.5
Offered by FOCUSIN

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 26 May 2016
Cheap but it shows. Some rather strange colours and the value is questionable. All mine have not disintegrated after around three weeks.

This item was provided for independent testing at no cost from the manufacturer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20