Profile for John W. Edelman > Reviews

Content by John W. Edelman

John W. Edelman
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Belkin Classic Tab Case for Kindle Fire HD 7", Gravel (will only fit Kindle Fire HD 7" [Previous Generation])

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks aren't everything- Disappointing, 5 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Considering Belkin's reputation for producing quality products this is very much a disappointment. For the price I think I have a right to expect that I would not only feel that my Kindle Fire HD is well protected but also that the various functions and connections are adequately catered for. They're not. At first sight this appears to be a good case with a decent amount of padding and an attractive design. Unfortunately when it comes to actually using the Kindle with the case a couple of problems are immediately apparent: 1- When closed, the sockets for charging and connecting an HDMI cable are not accessible, you have to leave the magnetic closer open or remove the Kindle. 2- The closer actualy turns off the Kindle if you should be foolish enough to allow it to touch the bottom of the screen or fold it back so that it touches the reverse of the holder. What it doesn't do is turn the darn thing off when it is properly closed! I can see the light shining beneath the cover taunting me as I speak. Take my advice go for this cover instead:Black Executive Multi Function Standby Case for the New Kindle Fire HD 7" Tablet 16GB or 32GB (Oct. 25 2012 Release) with Built-in Magnet for Sleep / Wake Feature and Stylus Loop Holder + Screen Protector + Capacitive Stylus Pen (Available in Multiple C... (See my review). Save yourself some money and get a much better all round product.

Black Executive Multi Function Standby Case for the Kindle Fire HD 7" Tablet (Previous Generation Tablet) 16GB or 32GB with Built-in Magnet for Sleep / Wake Feature and Stylus Loop Holder + Screen Protector + Capacitive Stylus Pen
Offered by MOFRED PRODUCTS

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 5 Jan 2013
Having had the opportunity to compare this case with another:Belkin Classic Tab Case for Kindle Fire HD,(will only fit Kindle Fire HD), I can happily state that this is far superior, and at £8 cheaper, with two screen protectors and a very useful and accurate stylus included in the price, much better value. The case actually encases the Kindle Fire HD securely with no fear of it falling out. There are holes in all the right places- for charging, HDMI and speakers. The magnetic closure works very well- turning the machine off when it closes and on straight away when opening and the stand feature works very efficiently making hands free reading / viewing at th breakfast table a joy.
I feel confident that my Kindle Fire HD is well protected and am extremely pleased that I chose this over others.
Highly Recommended!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2013 8:22 PM GMT

The Teleportation Accident
The Teleportation Accident
by Ned Beauman

4.0 out of 5 stars The Egoist has landed, 3 Jan 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a fascinating and engrossing tale of how one man can be so wrapped up in his own wants and desires that he can completely miss world changing events happening all around him. It's also an outrageously funny story, full of strange and downright surreal characters. The title implies a work of science fiction, it (mostly)isn't.
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel. It rattles along at a swift pace, sometimes jumping decades, and(nearly) always featuring the solipsistic Egon Loeser. Despite all his faults the author imbues Loeser with just enough bumbling pathos to retain this reader's sympathies to the end. Recommended if you want an accessible, but unorthodox read.

Travalo Pure Essentials Refill Perfume Atomizer
Travalo Pure Essentials Refill Perfume Atomizer
Offered by FragrancesCosmeticsPerfumes

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Travel Companion!, 8 Dec 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am so pleased with this cute little scent bottle! It took only a minute to fill it with my favourite smell and now it can go everywhere with me. My girlfriend is looking at it with intent, so I shall have to get a pink or silver one for her! It is perfect for travelling as has been said so many times in these reviews. I remember years ago fiddling around with a funnel, a small bottle and a lot of tissues. This little thing makes all that faff redundant and is a pleasure to use. I understand they can be cleaned out to change the scent inside, but I could possibly have 2 or even 3 of them instead. If my girlfriend doesn't get to them first. Well, that's Christmas sorted!

Marware UpSurge Rechargeable Mini Speaker, Black
Marware UpSurge Rechargeable Mini Speaker, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Punchy Sound, 5 Dec 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good chunky, solid piece of kit that does indeed add a nice punch to the sounds coming out of your mobile/Kindle/MP3 etc. It's very simple to use and connect. I was a little disappointed in the cable length, particularly of the one for the speaker jacks. It's very short and allows for little movement of my Kindle -Certainly you can't move around much with it connected. Luckily I already had a longer cable and with that connected it's a nice little accessory. It's not hi-fi but with a good bass sound it's certainly better than most on-board speakers.
In fact it's got one advantage over hi-fi at home: It's mono so all those old stereo seperated Beatles albums immediately sound how the would have over a Dansette speaker, minus the crackles, obviously!

Marware Eco-Vue Genuine Leather Cover for Kindle Fire, Black (will only fit Kindle Fire)

4.0 out of 5 stars Offers good protection, 4 Dec 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a sturdily made, attractive cover for your Kindle Fire, NOT, please note, Kindle Fire HD. The leather cover is complimented by a suede interior and the whole package has a nicely luxurious feel to it, with a good amount of padding for protection. There is an elasticated band to help when holding the cover to read your Kindle and a small pouch for your credit and coffee club cards. A quality item.

Excel 2010 Made Easy
Excel 2010 Made Easy
by Lynn Wright

4.0 out of 5 stars Good clear starter manual, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: Excel 2010 Made Easy (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a perfect starter book for those just beginning to use this ubiquitous application.
I have been using Excel for as long as there has been an Excel. Despite that I find that there are many areas that have remain undiscovered mysteries, hence my wanting a learners guide. All the basics are fully covered,as you'd expect, and it also makes good inroads into more complex formulae territory. Recommended as a clear and easy to understand refresher as well as a starter.

Missing Persons
Missing Persons
by Nicci Gerrard

4.0 out of 5 stars Emotionally enthralling, 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: Missing Persons (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first Nicci Gerrard book I have read and I loved the easy style of the writing and the insightful way the characters spoke to me. The whole story had an air of melancholy which I felt pretty strongly all the way through. Obviously the premise of the story is never going to make the reader feel happy clappy. So the way she evokes the mood was very clever, I thought. What I admire most about her writing is the amazing fluidity and spareness of language. I do get the impression of an incredibly emotionally intelligent person who has access to her feelings and thoughts without reserve and she is then able to give them words to convey to the reader precisely what it is she wants us to know. As with the best poetry, the language moves us in the fewest words and leaves an impression long after we shut the book. I would read her again.

VIBE Slick Zip Headphones - Red
VIBE Slick Zip Headphones - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative design and excellent sound quality, 23 Nov 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These headphones arrived just in time for a real field test on a 9 hour transatlatic flight and they passed with flying colours!
The sound quality is quite bassy- which I like and to my ears the range was good. A bonus, particularly on a full plane, was the sound excluding factor, due to their being in ear. Also there was no uncomfortable pressure on my ears, which is usually quite annoying. The zip design orginally struck me as being a fun novelty but I soon realised that not only does the zip look good but it ensures that the cord never gets tangled; I had them in and out of my pocket with never a knot or tangle.
I really can't find anything negative about these headphones. Highly recommended.

The Hobbit
The Hobbit
by J. R. R. Tolkien
Edition: Audio CD

2.0 out of 5 stars Over acted and a bit dated, 29 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Hobbit (Audio CD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a review of the 2012 CD re-issue of a 1968 BBC Production.
I am afraid that I found this 1968 dramatised version of the wonderful book a bit grating and dated. The acting reminded me of Monty Python's Holy Grail and some of the music, The (original) Wickerman. Gandalf is somewhat miscast- especially if you feel, as I do, the Sir Ian McKellen's portrayal is definitive. the blurb says that this recording perfectly evokes Tolkien's magical other world. I'm afraid not for me. A hint for any budding Tolkien actors- Speaking your lines in a deep portentous voice, annunciating every syllable in a perfect Oxford accent probably won't help you to evoke Tolkiens magical world, it'll just make you sound like a bad actor from Black Adder ("You have a womans nose!").
Shame, but hey ho the movie's out soon.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19