Profile for Nicola McConnell > Reviews

Samsung Notebook Style Flip Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 - Chrome/Blue
Samsung Notebook Style Flip Cover Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 - Chrome/Blue
Offered by Valutech Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 4 Dec 2013
I think of this as a very adult case. It's sleek, classy and looks great. However, it's not one of those super tough cases for protecting your phone against accidental knocks or drops. If you're wanting a tough case (say you want it for your children or you're just a bit clumsier), then I wouldn't recommend this one.

For me though, I really like the case and it was great value (or was when I purchased it on November 25 2013 anyways).

Life's A Pitch: What the World's Best Sales People Can Teach Us All
Life's A Pitch: What the World's Best Sales People Can Teach Us All

4.0 out of 5 stars Very readable book about sales, 26 Nov 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The profiles of top sales people in different environments and continents around the world makes for delicious reading and I whizzed through the book in only a couple of days (whereas it can take me a couple of weeks to read some heavy-going books).

Like another reviewer though, I felt that the book was more of a compelling story than a book that taught me anything - ie this isn't a how-to or self-help book about selling. There are loads of those out there if you're one of those dummies that needs one. However, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't read the book!

You Can Change Your Life: Easy steps to getting what you want
You Can Change Your Life: Easy steps to getting what you want
by Rob Yeung

5.0 out of 5 stars Credible guidance, 26 Nov 2013
There are so many self-improvement books around that it's hard to know what to follow. I like this book because the author bases his arguments and recommendations on published research.

The book is well-written and provides lots of sub-headings and boxes so it's easy to navigate too. I enjoyed reading the explanations of why to do X or Y followed by clear step-by-step instructions on how to do it.

Now, I just need to apply the knowledge I've accumulated!

Brilliant Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: How to Use CBT to Improve Your Mind and Your Life (Brilliant Lifeskills)
by Dr Stephen Briers

4.0 out of 5 stars A good example of cognitive behavioral therapy in action, 30 Oct 2010
I actually bought this book over a year ago. I found it very useful at the time as the author explains the principles of CBT and provides exercises and examples to help the reader to put those principles into action.

I was only reminded to write a review of this book when I recently picked up a book that tries to copy the principles of CBT but in a really bad way!

Brilliant CBT by Briers (a certified psychologist) is a great start if you're wanting to find out more about this branch of therapy.

Mind Power: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life
Mind Power: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life
by James Borg

2.0 out of 5 stars Mish-mash of cognitive behavioral therapy and other stuff, 30 Oct 2010
Borg wrote the bestseller 'Persuasion' but my suspicion is that he's a little stretched in writing this kind of book. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the book. On the other hand, there's nothing to recommend this book particularly. There's nothing NEW or truly insightful about the book. The ideas are a rehash of the principles of cognitive behavioral therapy, ideas which have been written about in easy-to-use ways in other books that have been around for longer.

In particular, the author seems to use a lot of words to make his point, when I think that some of the techniques could be explained more succinctly. I don't know if I'm breaking amazon rules by recommending other books, so I won't. But there are other books based on cognitive behavioral therapy (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy For Dummies and Brilliant Cognitive Behavioural Therapy: How to Use CBT to Improve Your Mind and Your Life), which I have found more useful.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Super value, 7 Aug 2010
The best thing you can do is to try a jacket on in either a North Face shop or another outdoory shop like Ellis Brigham. Make sure it fits and wait until you get home to but it online, where I saved nearly 20 pounds. Delivery was reasonable--both in terms of price and it only took 4 working days to arrive.

Brilliant Life Coach: 10 Inspirational Steps to Transform Your Life (Brilliant Lifeskills)
by Annie Lionnet

2.0 out of 5 stars Suits a certain type of person only, 2 Jun 2010
I've had some coaching at work (it was provided to us as part of our work training programs) and I wanted to explore how I could take my personal development a little further. This book didn't provide me with quite what I was looking for. There's not much tangible advice in the book. I felt that the book was more inspirational in tone and about adopting the right mindset and attitude, whereas I wanted practical tools that I could use to review my career and personal life. This book didn't suit me. I think it would suit someone who is more spiritual, as opposed to someone like me who is very practical and matter-of-fact.