Profile for Sasja Frahm Olesen > Reviews

Content by Sasja Frahm Olesen

Sasja Frahm Olesen (Copenhagen, Denmark)

Judging Amy Complete Season 1(Region 2) (Import)
Judging Amy Complete Season 1(Region 2) (Import)

5.0 out of 5 stars The real deal - Judging Amy on DVD, 4 Jun. 2012
For years, expensive, illegal DVDs of the entire run of Judging Amy have been available, with episodes reported missing, quality said to be barely watchable (you can stumble onto links to the sites that sell them even here on amazon).

But now, FINALLY, they've released the first season on DVD - please let's have the rest soon :)

The DVDs are only released for the Scandinavian market for some reason - but if they sell well, I guess they would release them elsewhere, too. In the meantime this release is fine for the English speaking market as well, no lip-sync, English menus, you can turn off subtitles, even the printed text on the discs and the cover inserts are in English.

SO: Do buy it, and prove there's a market for this, so we can have the rest of the seasons released!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2012 6:19 PM GMT

The Gods of Mars
The Gods of Mars
by Edgar Rice Burroughs

1.0 out of 5 stars Watch out - adapted version, 21 April 2010
This review is from: The Gods of Mars (Paperback)
This is rewritten and adapted for children, which is not evident from the Amazon page.

Brokeback Mountain [DVD] [2005]
Brokeback Mountain [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Jake Gyllenhaal
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars A true work of art - makes you both think and feel, 1 Sept. 2006
I was blown away by this film. It's so powerful and full of raw emotions that I can't shake it even several days later. I like it better and better.

The story develops slowly and I started out thinking that the characters were pretty unsympathetic, but all of a sudden I was 110% emotionally invested in the story which then seemed so much more powerful exactly because no idealisation had been done.

The film is tricky to read in several places and the ambiguity and the unsaid speak louder than the dialog. The attention you can feel has been paid to minute details forces you to pay attention and think both while and after you've seen the it. There's a lot to admire and notice, even on subsequent viewings.

Outstanding camera work and scenery, jaw dropping performances and a truly complex yet gripping story line.

World of Warcraft (Mac/PC)
World of Warcraft (Mac/PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Immersive and plain fun, 23 Feb. 2005
What a great game! It successfully combines the winning features of my favorite roleplaying games: The wonderful sense of exploration (as in the Might and Magic series), the fast action (as in Diablo II) and great questfilled storylines (used well in many games, but most recently in Never Winter Nights).
The game itself is a MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game), which means that you play in with hundreds of other players being in the world with you. They're not from around the globe though - there are special European servers. I haven't tried other MMORPGs, so I can't compare - but it gives a great game dynamic to play with lots of others. There are enough to choose your friends from, but not so many that you won't begin to recognise some after a while (unlike, e.g. Diablo where the chances of running into the same person twice are slim). The one big disadvantage to MMORPGs is that there's a monthly FEE for playing the game. As you install it you need to type in your credit card number. No withdrawal will happen until you've played a month, but each month after the first will cost around £8.
The world has two warring factions that you need to choose between: The Alliance (Human, Night Elf, Dwarf and Gnome), and the Horde (Undead, Troll, Orc or Tauren). You can choose to play in a PvP world, where alliance players can attack horde players and vice versa, or in normal and roleplaying worlds where you can only be attacked by other players if you agree to it (creatures in the world will not extend you the same courtesy, though).
The gameplay is very easy to get into, and quite hard to fully master - but you'll learn as you go. Thousands of skills, items, talents, monsters, quests and environments give the world a depth and near endless possibilities, but you won't feel overwhelmed, as you don't need to use or understand them all to be an efficient player. The graphics are very smooth and pretty. Enjoy - but watch the time! Set an alarm clock to remind you that you have a real life too :-)

Complete Buffy Collector's Edition Box Set (Series 1-7) [DVD]
Complete Buffy Collector's Edition Box Set (Series 1-7) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sarah Michelle Gellar

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 7 Jan. 2005
Buffy is what made me watch tv again. I didn't think you could find deeper plots, real wit, engaging characters, sparkling dialogue and action worth watching in an American tv-series. I was wrong, and this is the proof.
As all seasons have been released before and no extra material is included except a letter from Joss Whedon himself, I think some attention should be given to the wrapping of this gem.
The box itself, made of sturdy cardboard, is pleasingly small and unassuming, yet pretty stylish - winered with gold letters and no flashy photos. It'll take up the space of 9 dvds on your shelf - which is pretty amazing for a 39 dvd set. Inside, each season is separately packed in a cd-size plastic "book" with very slim "pages" and a cardboard cover with a summary of the contents on the inside. All the covers are in the same red colour as the box, but the front photo for each season is the same as it was on the release of that season. Also included is a cd-size booklet containing the resumes for each episode plus an overview of chapters in each episode, as well as a list of Joss' 12 favorite episodes.
Overall, Buffy has such a cohesive storyline that it makes sense to have it all, and this is in my humble opinion the nicest way to have it - both cheap, compact, sturdy and very easy to use. If you already have every single episode (and is not a compulsive fan), don't bother getting this, too (I know I did, but see my comment about compulsive fandom). Otherwise, this is a real bargain - though it's sold out at amazon, you can still get it elsewhere. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I have.

Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003]
Firefly - The Complete Series [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Nathan Fillion

5.0 out of 5 stars Drama, action and wit - a show can't get better than this, 7 Mar. 2004
I had my doubts about the wisdom of blending western (a genre I don't particularly fancy) with sci-fi, but as this show had Joss Whedon (of Toy Story, Angel and Buffy fame) at the helm I had to check it out - and I'm almost sorry I did. You get drawn into this series incredibly fast, it's over far too soon and you're left with an insatiable hunger for more. And not just me - this is one show (the only, I think) my husband and I are equally fascinated by.
There are too many aspects I love about this show to list them all, but let me highlight a few:
The Setting
Firefly is a small space ship, smuggling and doing odd jobs under the radar of the Alliance, the rulers of this fulture world. That's how the Firefly crew get to meet high and low in the different worlds. But most of the time, the ship is just travelling in the empty space between worlds, just a tiny fleck in the void. This solitude yet beauty of space is conveyed better here than in any other sci-fi series where the usual impression is that you can't turn your ship in a new direction without bumping into other space crafts or inhabited planets. It also puts the focus solidly on the interaction between the characters, which brings me to the next point.
The Characterisation
The people aboard Firefly are real people, with their strong and weak points, hopes and fears, world view and difficult decisions. The way they're disclosed to the viewer through their reactions to the different worlds Firefly visits, the problems they face and even more to each other is the show's strongest attraction, puntuated by the sparkling dialogue. This is really what makes you weep for Fox's foolish decision to kill this beauty before it was fully matured. I miss the people!
The Look
Firefly's world spans from the high tech you expect from a science fiction to the grit you know from a western and both are equally engaging and real to the watcher. The judicious use of handheld camera draws you into the world, but doesn't distract. Colours are used to great effect to signal the different worlds the crew move in - the yellow of the high noon prairie, the blue of high tech facilities and the deep empty blackness of space.
Firefly is an awesome show. I can't wait to see the movie, and my dearest hope is that the movie will spawn a series. Firefly is a thoroughly adult show with all the best things from Whedon's other shows - Buffy and Angel: The witty yet poignant dialogue, the way the characters' inner life is brought out in the main plot, the unexpected twists and turns of a great story arc. Get it at your own risk - you'll be sorry when it's over!

Firefly: Complete Series [DVD] [2003] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]