Profile for J. Bullock > Reviews

Content by J. Bullock

J. Bullock "Jan B" (Glos, UK)

Hearts & Minds [Limited Edition]
Hearts & Minds [Limited Edition]

4.0 out of 5 stars Close but no Cigar, 26 July 2010
I have been a loyal fan of Seth Lakeman for quite a few years now and have found a total all embracing love for all 4 of his previous albums. I had heard the majority of the tracks on the album as these have been trailed at live gigs since March 2009. Live they all have that indefinable Lakeman magic, not all translate as well onto a studio album.

For me the standout tracks are Preachers Ghost, The Watchman and these tracks are what Seth and the band do best, atmospheric, punchy and full of mystery. I love the title track and as a opener to a gig it is knockout and Hard Working Man is fabulous as well. There a couple that over time I think I will end up skipping over, Tiny World and Changes. It isn't as good as the previous albums but it marks a change of song writing direction for Seth with more political and personal statements being made, this is a good thing.

Overall though I am not sure that the production works and for me that lack of a cohesive thread that has marked out the other albums stops it being a five star album.

The Coroner (Jenny Cooper 1)
The Coroner (Jenny Cooper 1)
by M. R. Hall

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious and Unbelievable, 11 Mar 2009
I bought this book, as I suspect did many others thinking that it sounded hard hitting and readable, its not. Rarely when reading a book have I felt so much like slapping the heroine. To have the reader believe that this self-absorbed,irritating, alcohol swilling, pill popping woman could ever have been a coroner is laughable.Jenny Cooper is without doubt a the least likeable heroine I have come across and this completely spoilt the book for me.

The basic plot is sound enough and it has its moments I was far more in synch with Jenny Coopers assistant Alison, an altogether more efficient rounded character.

Unless you want to be frustrated beyond belief I would give this book a miss. I was so glad to get to the end.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it!!, 6 Jun 2008
This album is the follow-up to the brilliant and inspiring Freedom Fields. It has been a long-awaited event for all of Seth's dedicated fans . I have been lucky enough through gigs, myspace links etc to have heard most of the tracks and believe me this album is totally amazing.

For of the tracks Seth has taken his inspiration from the sea, producing hard, racing driven folk songs with a raw edge, with intense and brooding lyrics perfectly suited to his amazing voice. It is folk with attitude.

Take a chance, buy it,you will not look back!

Poor Man's Heaven Ep
Poor Man's Heaven Ep

5.0 out of 5 stars Seth Lakeman- A true & rare talent, 25 Oct 2007
This review is from: Poor Man's Heaven Ep (Audio CD)
I would urge anyone who attended Seth Lakeman's sell out tour this autumn to dash out and but this. The title track Poor Mans's Heaven is a rip roaring blast of fiddle, guitar percussion with Seth's fabulous gutsy vocals providing a perfect contrast.

Race to be King is fast & furious with an almost rhythmic dance feel and is a fitting showcase for his outstanding talent as a fiddle player.

How Much is a live track that is one of the bands favourites,and will take you by the scruf of the neck and will not let go!

The final track is sublime, a lyrical haunting ballard featuring Seth on fiddle & vocals accompanied by Kathryn Roberts

Go & buy it!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2007 7:45 PM GMT

Freedom Fields
Freedom Fields
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the future of folk, 9 Oct 2007
This review is from: Freedom Fields (Audio CD)
Seth Lakeman deliver songs of breathtaking beauty, coupled with frenetic fiddle playing, amazing guitar, awesome percussion & devastating vocals. There was not a better album last year, go on treat yourselfyon will not regret it..........and then move onto Kitty Jay & Punchbowl a whoel world of wonderful music is waiting.